Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Left scroll wheel no longer controls volume

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Has this happened to anyone else? The left scroll wheel on my MS with MCU1 no longer has any affect on audio volume.

- Same result regardless of the audio source; phone via bluetooth, native streaming apps, or terrestrial radio
- Volume adjustment on the main screen works fine
- Turning the scroll wheel still causes the volume indicator on the IC to pop up and change up or down as it always has; just does not reflect actual volume change! The display can indicate that the volume is muted and the level hasn't changed at all.
- Recently updated to 2021.24.25 but can't remember if this issue presented before the firmware change or not
- Rebooted the MCU and issue still persists.

Seems like it is muted if it otherwise works find but does not adjust the volume. What happens when you press the left scroll wheel when no sound is coming out? Does a press of the wheel control the other things it is supposed to control?

Since there have been no other posts of similar user issues, I'd wait for the next update, or do the power down reboot where you stay in your car for 5 minutes and power the car down to do a full reboot. May be Tesla could repush the update to you if you asked them.

I'm not familiar with the power down reboot you're referring to? Can you educate me about it? Is there a link with the details? Thanks!

Your earlier vehicle may not have it, but, from my manual:

Power Cycling the Vehicle
If your vehicle demonstrates unusual behavior or a nondescript alert is present, you can try power cycling the vehicle to potentially resolve the issue.
1. Shift into Park.
2. On the touchscreen, touch Controls > Safety & Security> Power Off.
3. Wait for at least two minutes without interacting with the vehicle. Do not open the doors, touch the brake pedal, touch the touchscreen, etc.
4. After two minutes have passed, press the brake pedal or open the door to wake the vehicle.

Reactions: AndrewTX
Has this happened to anyone else? The left scroll wheel on my MS with MCU1 no longer has any affect on audio volume.

- Same result regardless of the audio source; phone via bluetooth, native streaming apps, or terrestrial radio
- Volume adjustment on the main screen works fine
- Turning the scroll wheel still causes the volume indicator on the IC to pop up and change up or down as it always has; just does not reflect actual volume change! The display can indicate that the volume is muted and the level hasn't changed at all.
- Recently updated to 2021.24.25 but can't remember if this issue presented before the firmware change or not
- Rebooted the MCU and issue still persists.
I am having the same issue often now as well, and does seem worse after last update. I have a dec 2016 S with 95k and original Mcu1 so I am thinking the memory is close to shot. Maps load crazy slow

To add info to my post: 2016 75D, upgraded to 2021.24.25 yesterday. Began experiencing exact same symptoms as OP's post. I've tried doing both dash and main screen reboots, and turning off the power. None worked. The only thing I have not tried is factory resetting but I'm going to wait for more updates on this issue before going that route.

I have the same issue on my car. It happened after updating from 2020 to 2021.24.25 over the weekend. I did soft reboots and power off - NO LUCK. Should I take it to my local service center?

Also what happens if you are just out of warranty and something like this happens?