Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Left-side mirror and head-restraint

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Thanks to a couple of local owners, I was finally able to test drive the Model 3 recently. That car is a blast to drive! Smooth and quick. Most people rave about auto pilot and it lives up to the hype. I want one!

I did notice a couple of issues, though.

I am 6' tall, but with long legs. I am guessing I end up positioning the seat like a 6'2" person. In that position, I was not able to position the left side view mirror out far enough. At its maximum setting, I could still easily see the side of the car. The right side mirror did not have that issue and I was able to position it perfectly. The side mirrors are so small that getting them positioned correctly seems important. I read that Tesla somehow added adjustability to the right side mirror recently, and they need to do the same to the left.

I also, apparently, have a big head. With the seat back angled where I like it, the head-restraint constantly pushes against the back of my head. My neck is forced into a forward angle and I have to "look up" to see forward. I can angle the seat back a bit, which alleviates the pressure against the back of my head, but still leaves my neck angled "forward". With so many body types out there, I am surprised that Tesla does not offer any adjustability in the head-restraint. Maybe Tesla is willing to pay a monthly chiropractic bill?

I was also able to do a short test drive in a Model 3 with first generation seats. The problem with the head-restraint was even a little worse with it, so Tesla has made the situation better. They need to go further, though.

I am going to wait until next year, to order the car. I am hoping Tesla will continue to improve it. I realize that no car is perfect (the navigation system in my BMW 335 is a joke, and BMW should be ashamed to charge money for it), and I am glad Tesla is making improvements. I just hope it doesn't take them too long to fix some of these issues.

Tesla often does over the air updates to address things like this.

Some time ago the made the headrests go up and down depending on how far away from the pedals you set your seat. Figured that long legged people also might like the headrest further up.

If the headrests in the 3 are power adjustable, I imaging at sometime in the future those headrests might also become adjustable.

Maybe Tesla is willing to pay a monthly chiropractic bill?

I get what you're saying about the basic premise that there should be more adjustable options for the seat and headrest. I know you're probably being facetious, but if you buy one next year already knowing it's uncomfortable after just a few short test drives, would you really have anyone but yourself to blame if you can't ever get into a comfortable driving position? The Model 3 just might not right for you with your frame and posture.

I am 6' tall, but with long legs. I am guessing I end up positioning the seat like a 6'2" person. In that position, I was not able to position the left side view mirror out far enough. At its maximum setting, I could still easily see the side of the car.

Also 6ft. tall and I am not able to get the drivers mirror tilted out far enough by SME recommended settings (e.g. head against glass, just barely see side of car in mirror). I feel like it's a huge safety issue, since Blind Spot Monitoring is effectively non-existent on the model 3

I get what you're saying about the basic premise that there should be more adjustable options for the seat and headrest. I know you're probably being facetious, but if you buy one next year already knowing it's uncomfortable after just a few short test drives, would you really have anyone but yourself to blame if you can't ever get into a comfortable driving position? The Model 3 just might not right for you with your frame and posture.

That was a joke. Sorry, I should have added a smiley.

What I am really hoping is that Tesla improves the seats.

I came across this
. Maybe the Tesla service centers will offer a customization service, if nothing else. ;)

Reactions: SDKoala