Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Left side mirror issue

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Only had the Model S for about one month, but there's one issue which has been present since day one. Left side mirror not returning to right saved position after reversing and going back to drive. I save the right position in Drive and also adjust and save the position I want when I'm in Reverse mode. Sometimes it's fine, but most time it isn't. When I put the car in Reverse, the side mirror doesn't go to the position I saved. But sometimes it does.. but then, when I go back to Drive, it doesn't fold all the way back out to where it's supposed to be.

If I fold both mirrors in Drive, then fold them back out again, it normally resets to where I want them.

Funky right?

I went back to Tesla for fixing an alignment issue a few weeks back, but of course, when i wanted to show the mirror issue, the mirror behaved just right.. so couldn't follow up with Tesla on the issue.

Anyone had this problem?

I have a mid-December MS build with a left side mirror folding problem. I didn't want to wait for a software update to "maybe" fix this. Service knew all about this problem. They replaced the internals a couple of weeks ago. It's been flawless ever since.

Your forward-reverse mirror tilt problem may be related to a folding mirror defect.

At the service center, try moving the mirror housing (gently) by hand. If it moves, it's strong evidence of a faulty mechanism. If the mirror doesn't think it's fully opened, it may not change between forward-reverse settings.

Good luck!

I have this problem as well.

Its not a huge issue for me. An interim work around is to fold the mirror and unfold at 80kph or higher. It will always return to the right position at that speed for some reason!

Glad that Tesla HK is aware of this and has a fix in mind.

• Helpful
Reactions: Kairrson
Only had the Model S for about one month, but there's one issue which has been present since day one. Left side mirror not returning to right saved position after reversing and going back to drive. I save the right position in Drive and also adjust and save the position I want when I'm in Reverse mode. Sometimes it's fine, but most time it isn't. When I put the car in Reverse, the side mirror doesn't go to the position I saved. But sometimes it does.. but then, when I go back to Drive, it doesn't fold all the way back out to where it's supposed to be.

If I fold both mirrors in Drive, then fold them back out again, it normally resets to where I want them.

Funky right?

I went back to Tesla for fixing an alignment issue a few weeks back, but of course, when i wanted to show the mirror issue, the mirror behaved just right.. so couldn't follow up with Tesla on the issue.

Anyone had this problem?

I had this issue with my Model S when I picked it up brand new. The left side would not go into the right position 9 times out of ten after folding. I took it back to Tesla (after booking an appointment) and they fixed it for me in the end. Told me it was a lubrication problem and no hardware was changed. Working fine right now after a month.

I had this issue with my Model S when I picked it up brand new. The left side would not go into the right position 9 times out of ten after folding. I took it back to Tesla (after booking an appointment) and they fixed it for me in the end. Told me it was a lubrication problem and no hardware was changed. Working fine right now after a month.

Thanks. Good to hear it's not too complicated. Shouldn't be. I haven't brought it back yet but issue still exists. Has become a habit to manually move it, but that's silly. So will have to go get it done. Thanks.

Funky right?

Anyone had this problem?

Apologies for bringing up an old thread but I didn’t want to start a new one just to ask the same question.

Anyone else having this issue that’s recent?

I usually back into the drive way so the mirrors are set to the reverse position when I exit and enter my car. Once in a while, when I get in the car the following morning, the mirrors doesn’t adjust back to the “driving” position.

Not sure if this warrants a call to Tesla or if it’s something I can reset from my end to correct the issue.