TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Left side rear door not flush when closed

Discussion in 'Model S: Interior & Exterior' started by GridSpace, Jul 8, 2016.

1. GridSpace

GridSpace Member

I noticed on about day 2 that the door behind the driver seat protruded excessively from the lines of the body. Basically, if you look at the lower rear curve of the door, it's at least 5mm-7mm out of line with the rest of the body. This is not normal a panel gap issue. Tesla service has taken a look and wants to send it to a body shop to fix it. That means it'll be gone for at leasts two weeks.

Has anyone else had doors this poorly installed?

2. aesculus

aesculus Still Trying to Figure this All Out

There were several other cars reporting this with VINS less than 2000. I saw about 8 brand new X's yesterday and they all had flawless doors.

3. CHG-ON

CHG-ON Still in love after all these miles

Take her back for a fix. They were awesome for me when I had Pano alignment issues.

4. scottm

scottm Active Member

On day 1, did you get hit on that side?

..but seriously, door alignment fits within the realm of DIY... why not try adjusting yourself? Would save you from having to give up the car to a body shop, or two week absence. Only if I couldn't first get alignment would I bring it in.

You'll need some serious torque on the parts holding doors and latches on to the car.
    1/2" breaker bar probably.. And use the right head / bit on the fastener tool, not a "close enough" one.. the exact size, not worn down.