Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Left turn signal automatically comes on by itself in Autopilot

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Has anyone else experienced this it happens to me every time and drives me insane plus confuses other drivers.

When coming on to the A1 and signalling before I merge on to the road the signal comes off. That’s no problem, possibly you would think I turned too much that it went off by itself.

However once I merge and activate Autopilot doesn’t matter how long it’s been if I haven’t signalled since then the signal that disappeared earlier by itself comes back on and it’s a nightmare to get off. Basically the usual way to cancel a signal doesn’t work and I have to exit Autopilot and go back into it (generally I panicked though because I don’t want to confuse other drives and spend ages trying to cancel it before going out of Autopilot).

Always happens on A1 not experienced it anywhere else. Specifically the junction where I live.

Do you have EAP? I can't be of any help unfortunately, but it sounds like it could be something to do with EAP trying to change lanes. I don't think basic AP can do anything automatically with indicators (or at least isn't supposed to).

Is there anything odd about the lane markings that may be confusing it?

Do you have EAP? I can't be of any help unfortunately, but it sounds like it could be something to do with EAP trying to change lanes. I don't think basic AP can do anything automatically with indicators (or at least isn't supposed to).

Is there anything odd about the lane markings that may be confusing it?
Yep you are correct. I do have EAP.

However I am not using Navigate on Autopilot so really it shouldn’t ever be putting the indicators on automatically. I’ve tested it quite a few times and on other roads.

It only does it when the indicator goes off by itself and then Autopilot is put on. 😔

What’s the best way to report this to Tesla? Can’t imagine it’ll make much difference but if it’s not that common I probably should.

It’s a long-standing bug. If you put AP on too near or on the junction it’ll indicate the wrong way automatically and you have to cancel it (which as mentioned isn’t easy).

Had it since 2019. I think it’s some kind of remnant of US based code but not sure. Alas if it was ever going to be fixed they would have by now.

Basically don’t enable AP until you’re fully on the motorway and it avoids the problem.

• Informative
Reactions: DenkiJidousha

I think EAP assumes that all motorways work like US freeways, where the inside lane becomes the sliproad. Mine occasionally indicates left and wobbles sometimes when in this situation, exacerbated if there's an arrow painted on the road.

It's never actually changed lane or left the motorway here. Far more annoying is that if you join a motorway it always, ALWAYS wants to change lane left or right.

It's never actually changed lane or left the motorway here.

Mine will take the exit slip off dual carriage (if on Navigate on Autopilot). It indicates right at the last moment though, so I'm never confident its going to do it (and I think earlier indication would be better for following vehicles) and I'm also ready for any misbehaviour (including aborting the turn if the road markings don't provide its expected reassurance) ... NOA also wants to change lanes to get across to exit-lane about a mile or so before junction.

The only reason I have NOA activated is for when I am in a dream and would otherwise forget to take the exit. WAZE repeatedly telling me to take the next exit doesn't seem to be enough on the odd occasions when I'll focused on something else ... typically when I am mentally heading for home but actually need to divert or am going somewhere different

Reactions: DenkiJidousha
It’s a long-standing bug. If you put AP on too near or on the junction it’ll indicate the wrong way automatically and you have to cancel it (which as mentioned isn’t easy).

Had it since 2019. I think it’s some kind of remnant of US based code but not sure. Alas if it was ever going to be fixed they would have by now.

Basically don’t enable AP until you’re fully on the motorway and it avoids the problem.
Interesting I think I’ve tried this but I’m not 100% sure I’ll test later. If that works that’s a nice solution. 😃

Mine will take the exit slip off dual carriage (if on Navigate on Autopilot). It indicates right at the last moment though, so I'm never confident its going to do it (and I think earlier indication would be better for following vehicles) and I'm also ready for any misbehaviour (including aborting the turn if the road markings don't provide its expected reassurance) ... NOA also wants to change lanes to get across to exit-lane about a mile or so before junction.

The only reason I have NOA activated is for when I am in a dream and would otherwise forget to take the exit. WAZE repeatedly telling me to take the next exit doesn't seem to be enough on the odd occasions when I'll focused on something else ... typically when I am mentally heading for home but actually need to divert or am going somewhere different
I’ve tried NoA a couple of times but the exits are terrifying. I like the lane change nudges though, wish I could have that on but not the exits. I suppose I could cancel Autopilot before the exit..

I never use NoA because it's always nagging to go 'into a faster lane' when I'm already doing 70.

You can turn off speed based lane changes in the preferences. That's what I have done and prompting for unnecessary lane changes is much reduced - you still get route based prompts, although like speed bases prompts, sometimes not the most pertinent.

I’ve tried NoA a couple of times but the exits are terrifying

Agreed. Very late signalling and abrupt at taking the slip road. And Uncertain as well as Abrupt ...

... but as a software engineer (not Vision/AI) how the heck the thing figures out any of its surroundings impresses me a lot.

like the lane change nudges though, wish I could have that on but not the exits
I think the lane change thing (I presume AutoPilot rather than specifically NOA) could do with some work.

"Move to slower lane" is fine after overtaking, but if I am 20 MPH below my set Cruise Speed, 'coz something slow is in the outside lane in front of me, telling me that there is a decent gap on nearside and I should move over is Pants!

Wanting to move to nearside when just coming up to an on-ramp (on which there might be traffic ... maybe Car Cameras can see over the brow better than I can?!). Personally I don't choose to do that until I have either cleared the on-slip, or can see that there is nothing coming up that's going to need to merge just as I pull into the nearside lane ...

And when there is a row of cones (on the verge, ready to put out, or blocking off a lane) "Move into a lane away from the cones" ... I've never considered that a risk I need to act on before!

I suppose I could cancel Autopilot before the exit..

I think you only need to turn off NOA? (ie. if NOA is highlighted in Blue)

I never use NoA because it's always nagging to go 'into a faster lane' when I'm already doing 70.

Is that NOA or AutoPilot? I've not done any experiments to figure out what is determining that, I just assumed it was AP.

I have similar but on the M4. Only happens between Pont Abram and Swansea. EAP is active and Nav on AP on too. On 3 junctions it indicates and tries to take the slip road for a few seconds before aborting. I now don’t use Nav on AP until I’m out of that area and it works fine for me.

Random bug I guess

Is that NOA or AutoPilot? I've not done any experiments to figure out what is determining that, I just assumed it was AP.
NoA is what causes the lane change notifications. AP is what's doing the phantom indicating (you don't need NoA active for it to happen).

Which is wierd because you wouldn't expect AP on its own to have anything to do with lane change, but.. tesla..

Reactions: WannabeOwner
NoA is what causes the lane change notifications. AP is what's doing the phantom indicating (you don't need NoA active for it to happen).

Which is wierd because you wouldn't expect AP on its own to have anything to do with lane change, but.. tesla..
OP has EAP ... I don't think this can happen on standard Autopilot (I think thread title should really refer to "extended autopilot")