Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Left unplugged for 5 days at the airport, 0% loss?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I parked a 2022 LR AWD Model 3 at the airport parking garage unplugged for 5 days. My initial SOC is 50%. I did not turn on Sentry Mode. However, my Tesla didn't seem to lose any range over 5 days. I think it is supposed to lose 1% every day without Sentry, according to the manual. Does anyone know what went wrong?

Screenshot 2022-11-30 at 2.02.29 PM.png

Screenshot 2022-11-30 at 2.02.23 PM.png

• Disagree
  • Funny
Reactions: KenC and Adam3
I parked a 2022 LR AWD Model 3 at the airport parking garage unplugged for 5 days. My initial SOC is 50%. I did not turn on Sentry Mode. However, my Tesla didn't seem to lose any range over 5 days. I think it is supposed to lose 1% every day without Sentry, according to the manual. Does anyone know what went wrong?
In my experience in my 2021 SR+ it loses about 1 mile per day with everything disabled. 1% per day is probably just a conservative figure.

I have been on TMC basically daily, since the end of 2018, and have seen virtually every single thread on battery drain, battery health, etc that has been posted in the model 3 subforum.

I have also seen "many" of the threads on this topic in the other vehicle subforums here on TMC. Probably a couple hundred threads at least, over that time, and at least a thousand posts or more, I am sure.

This is the first time ever, at least that I can remember, of someone asking is there something wrong with their car because its not draining ENOUGH when its parked (which is the OPs basic question).

I thought I would wait until one of the more dedicated/knowledgeable nerds on the Battery subforum would chime in and offer an explanation for what the OP has observed/posted. But, I just couldn’t resist. So, the short answer is your vehicle did not gain or even maintain any range during the extended period that you parked/stored your vehicle. Here is what actually happened (and the long answer):

On the date you parked/left your vehicle, the BMS (Battery Management System) in your vehicle calculated/reported what it believed was your SOC (State of Charge) and the estimated available range at that particular point in time. However, as most of us nerds know, the vehicle’s BMS system can be a little “off” in what it reports on your display screen. So, what happens is, after several hours of being inactive/asleep, the vehicle’s BMS will take some internal readings on the battery pack’s actual SOC and other measurements. Then, the BMS uses these newer measurements/readings to “recalibrate” its calculation/estimate of the SOC and available remaining range. I do not know how often Tesla vehicles perform this internal reading/calibration while parked/asleep for extended periods. Perhaps one of the true Tesla battery gurus on this forum will chime in with their thoughts. However, I do think the BMS in our vehicles will perform this internal reading/calibration several times while the vehicle is parked for an extended period of time.

So, in the OP’s case, what he/she observed was the BMS reporting a particular estimated SOC/range on the day he/she parked the vehicle… which turned out to be a little lower than the vehicle’s actual SOC and available range. In other words, the values reported by the OP’s vehicle was a little “wrong” and on the low side. But, while the OP’s vehicle was parked, the BMS performed additional readings/calibrations and then adjusted and “corrected” the estimated SOC/range accordingly. It just so happens that the adjusted values came out higher than what was previously calculated/reported on the day the vehicle was initially parked/left.

So, the above explains why the OP saw a higher SOC/range when he/she returned to the vehicle a week or so later.
The vehicle definitely did NOT gain any real SOC/range while it was parked. There should be no question/doubt that all modern day batteries will lose some energy/range while inactive or stored for any period of time. Again, the OP’s vehicle simply reported an “incorrect” value when he/she left it. In reality, his/her vehicle’s actual SOC at the day/time it was parked was likely closer to 53 or 54% (instead of the 50% that was initially reported).

By the way, I have observed a similar behavior with my vehicle. When I return from a trip and park it for the evening, it will report a particular SOC/range. Then, the next day, it will sometimes report a slightly higher SOC/range than the night before. It’s simply my vehicle’s BMS performing a recalibration and ”correcting” itself…

Hope the above explanation helps some folks sleep better at night ... :cool:
You’re welcome @jjrandorin 🤣

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: KenC and jjrandorin
I can confirm same thing happened to me . 2022 Model Y with sentry mode off. I charged it to 92% before leaving Canada to spend a week in the U.S for thanksgiving. Charge stayed in 92% for almost a week.
My condo garage is not heated I think. But the temperature is decent because it’s a closed space during winter.
I usually keep the sentry on because Toronto is known for care thefts and charge weekly at the supercharger. I guess I’ll leave the sentry mode off and save serious money 😀

View attachment 879938
View attachment 879939
Any notable temperature changes in that 5 days?