TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Leg Room, New Gen vs Standard Seats

Discussion in 'Model S: Interior & Exterior' started by NorCalSJ, Mar 13, 2015.

1. NorCalSJ

NorCalSJ Member

For those who were not aware, the New Generation seats have approx 5-6" less leg room than the Standard seats. I took my P85D with New Generation seats to the Service Center and was given a P85+ loaner. I immediately noticed the difference in leg room and the Service Advisor confirmed.

Has anyone else noticed the difference??

2. ken830

ken830 Model S (Res#P12,447)

Are you talking about second-row leg room?

3. NorCalSJ

NorCalSJ Member

No, drivers side leg room. Don't know about passenger side as I've never sat there...

4. ecarfan

ecarfan Well-Known Member

Last month I did a test drive in a P85D and did not notice any difference in leg room compared to my 2013 S.

Are you saying that the Next Gen seats do not go back as far as the old seats? If that was the case than the rear passengers would have a lot more room. But it seems odd to me that the new seats would be that different from the old seats in terms of leg room.

5. commasign

commasign Active Member

Coming from a 2013 P85 I haven't noticed any differences in how far the seats can move in the various directions. Maybe the footwell is shorter due to the front motor? Just speculating.

6. Danal

Danal electricmotorglider.com

I'm 6'6". I've driven both and not noticed a lot of difference.

Perhaps there is some other reason for the significant difference between those two cars? Can you get them side by side and look, measure, etc?

7. thimel

thimel Member

I just went down to the showroom to check this out. I have a P85D on order with the next gen seats and am 6'7" with a 38" inseam, so leg room is a big concern for me. I compared cars with the old and new seats, adjusted them both the same way and there was no noticeable difference. I found that in addition to putting the seat all the way back, it was important to move the seat bottom up in front and down in back.
    I'd still like more legroom, so if anyone knows of a way to move the seat further back (e.g third party brackets), please let me know.

8. Alysashley79

Alysashley79 Member

I don't think its the next gen seats. I think it's the D vs non D.

9. spentan

spentan Active Member

I'm 6'9" and 425lbs (On a good day)

I have the next gen seats and I find them quite snug around my back fat. But legroom isn't an issue in my p85d