Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Legacy mode

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just installed a Gen 2 wall connector.

I was hoping to be able to also charge my son's BMW i3 and it does not work.

Some threads are talking about setting these wall connectors to Legacy mode.

Unfortunately, I cannot find any clear instructions on how to make this happen.

Please help!

Thanks in advance

Franck

Which is switch 2 in the attached?

Would this affect the Tesla model S charging or not at all?

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-06-01 at 1.56.05 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-06-01 at 1.56.05 PM.png
    578.1 KB · Views: 3,053
I have many reports that it does work with the BMW I3. There is a very basic 'handshake' between charger and vehicle and in Legathy mode the Destination charger becomes a standart Type 2 charger. As the I3 has a Type 1 port you will need an adapter cable. However all signals are the same, the adapter just adapts the different physical layout. I would try another car with an Type 2 inlet to narrow down the problem.

Adapter-tesla-charger-03.jpg

I have a TWC GEN 2 running firmware 4.5.3 (and a Model 3). My father has a Hyundai Kona. The Kona won't charge on my TWC.

I don't think the DIP switch works anymore in the later versions of the firmware. I have been monitoring my Control Pilot (handshake signalling) with an Oscilloscope and SWCAN adaptor. My TWC appears to talk Telsa Mode (SWCAN) regardless of the position of the DIP Switch.

The Kona does charge from some Gen 2 Destination Chargers, so there could be two variables - the firmware version of the TWC and the DIP switch position in units with older firmware.

• Informative
Reactions: MNoICE618 and bay74
Thanks for sussing that out. Sad news though. I was recommending hotels / motels to get a Destination Charger...I will not do this any more. I wonder when this was changed.

I'll need to get the Kona back and have a further look at the handshake.

What I must say at the moment, is that I don't think it's deliberate. Tesla/Delta might have been trying to intelligently merge the two modes, so they didn't need a switch on the Gen 3 TWC for example.

My TWC starts out with what should be a compatible J1772 PWM signalling ('legacy'). The Tesla vehicles will then coerce it to switch to Tesla mode. It should be compatible with third party J1772 vehicles. (I've had a home/custom built EV charge from it no problems, so it doesn't exclude all third party vehicles)