Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Finally got mine!

FullSizeRender.jpg

View attachment 93402
The California Legacy Plate is here!
I waited a year and a half for it.
The visual impact is less; black plate on black nose. It is good.
~Larry
Legacy Shmegacy - You folks got it easy. Our plates were issued in 1969. I had to be able to transmit AND copy 13 words of morse code per minute, sitting in front of an FCC agent downtown LA .... our Amateur Radio plates are 47 years old this year !! Amateur radio plates are transferable from one vehicle to another, regardless of color change over the decades. I can't even remember if ours ever even looked as shiny/glossy as these new 60's replicas.
But anyway - here's our oldies;

91397_hybridSUV.jpg

in fact, the front plate is pretty pitted and rust has started to form in those cavities.

IN order - the cars they've been installed on, over the decades.
1963 Ford Falcon van
1971 Ford econoline van
1976 American motors CJ5 Jeep
1984 Honda Civic
1987 Honda Prelude
1989 Porsche Speedster
1994 E300 MB
2000 Range Rover
2004 Toyota Prius
2006 Lexus Hybrid RX-400h

They've seen a lot of miles. Over the decades we got pulled over simply due to the fuzz thinking they were fakes - as they looked odd as each new decade of cars you'd see less and less of them. Funny thing - now that they're back in vogue - mysteriously, we're not getting pulled over any more due to law enforcement ignorance. Strangers would ask about them too. Our rear plate has the year of issue stamped in the registration sticker spot. Are they still doing that on the new ones?

Last edited:
Legacy Shmegacy - You folks got it easy. Our plates were issued in 1969. I had to be able to transmit AND copy 13 words of morse code per minute, sitting in front of an FCC agent downtown LA .... our Amateur Radio plates are 47 years old this year !! Amateur radio plates are transferable from one vehicle to another, regardless of color change over the decades. I can't even remember if ours ever even looked as shiny/glossy as these new 60's replicas.
But anyway - here's our oldies;

91397_hybridSUV.jpg

in fact, the front plate is pretty pitted and rust has started to form in those cavities.

IN order - the cars they've been installed on, over the decades.
1963 Ford Falcon van
1971 Ford econoline van
1976 American motors CJ5 Jeep
1984 Honda Civic
1987 Honda Prelude
1989 Porsche Speedster
1994 E300 MB
2000 Range Rover
2004 Toyota Prius
2006 Lexus Hybrid RX-400h

They've seen a lot of miles. Over the decades we got pulled over simply due to the fuzz thinking they were fakes - as they looked odd as each new decade of cars you'd see less and less of them. Funny thing - now that they're back in vogue - mysteriously, we're not getting pulled over any more due to law enforcement ignorance. Strangers would ask about them too. Our rear plate has the year of issue stamped in the registration sticker spot. Are they still doing that on the new ones?

That is so cool! When I was a kid, a friend of my folks was an amateur radio enthusiast, and he had the '56 iteration plates with his identification. Of course he updated in '63 like the rest of us.

Other types of bizarre California plates include the "press photographer" (PP in a triangle on the left side of the plate) and "Consul Corps" for those privileged few who have some sort of semi-official responsibilities with a foreign nation. I believe there are two Teslas on the Peninsula that have such plates--there was an article about the couple in the Chronicle a year or so back. Also, legislators receive special plates denoting their districts preceded by an "A" or an "S." I do think the latter two categories are still issued, but the Press Photographer plate has been relegated to our memories.

For those of you that recently got your plates how long did it take from when you ordered them? I'm getting impatient waiting ...
Mailing the availability letter seems like a process that came from the original black plates! :)

Mailed my application 1st week of January, check cashed a week later, finally got my plate today (16 weeks later).
DMV said they were backed up on the personalized black legacy plates, even the sequential black plates are delayed.(Work slow-down in prison)

I spoke with DMV who said I am looking at 3-4 months for my legacy plates. They also said regular white personalized plates are delayed just as long because of the backlog. Does anyone know if this is true? From what I been reading that doesn't seem to be the case and just the legacy are delayed.

I spoke with DMV who said I am looking at 3-4 months for my legacy plates. They also said regular white personalized plates are delayed just as long because of the backlog. Does anyone know if this is true? From what I been reading that doesn't seem to be the case and just the legacy are delayed.

I ordered legacy plates for the Tesla I totaled literally the day before I totaled it. If you are curious about that story just search my posting history. Anyway, I called the next day to see if I could cancel, and they said I could not. They also said, it would take 5 months. Since I no longer was planning on picking up the plates (they won't be transferable to my new car) I didn't really care. However, I just ordered my replacement deep blue and am curious what they look like on that car. I assume, they look good. Previous car was a pre-refresh titanium metallic, I was really buying them for the black on black nosecone, but I wasn't as jazzed about the black on titanium for the rear. Still with the dark deep blue bumper, I think the black will look good on both sides.