Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Legacy V11 has some quirks, but overall I think it's an improvement

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

ngng

Jul 23, 2018
Bay Area
Originally posted this in the X forum, but adding here for other legacy owners.

Had a chance to play with V11 on the X and I don't echo the same concerns a lot of other people have. Ignoring the lack of attention to detail with a lot of the white spacing with words and icons; I like it.

Things I like:
  • General UI is more streamlined, I particular like the Spotify UI
  • Color icons are nice, though they look a bit dated
  • Map orientation moved from top right to top left, closer to driver
  • Ability to edit waypoints, in addition to just adding them
  • Less overall UI clutter

Things I don't like:
  • Charging/supercharger icon on main map menu has moved to a subtab accessible after tapping the nav input box
    • Not a huge deal, and I see why they've moved charging here. The charging icon on the main map menu was ambiguous and more of a "power user" feature. As a non-Tesla enthusiast, it totally makes sense that charging would appear after tapping the nav input box
    • This change seems a little odd since you can access charging when you're not navigating, but once you start a trip you cannot toggle chargers along the route
  • Trip options was moved to the expanded menu (I preferred them to be in a button inside the search box)
  • IMO, contrast between window panes should be darker. Right now, everything blends together
  • Removal of battery visualization (historically seen when you tapped the charge icon in the top icon bar)
    • Tapping the charge icon takes you top a new "Charging" page that doesn't provide any information on charging
  • Removal of seat heater controls from action bar; now you must click the temperature which pulls up the climate panel
    • I think I'd get use to this, and it's not as big of a deal as everybody has complained about
  • No changes or customization to the center instrument console

Bugs/regressions:
  • Cannot modify charge from charging menu
  • 1640730118090.png
  • Spotify artwork missing on instrument cluster
  • No historical energy data for instrument cluster or "trips"

Overall, I can see the direction Tesla is trying to go with their UI. Something that makes more sense for the general Tesla population. I can also understand why a lot of people on the forums don't like it. Anyways, I like the update and I wouldn't read too much into what other people are complaining about.

Here are some quick tap throughs I took of the new UI:
  1. Login • Instagram
  2. Login • Instagram

It looks like a reset brings back the battery info and ability to change SoC.
Burying the previously easily accessible defrosters into a menu is an odd choice for “winter enhancement” update…

It looks like a reset brings back the battery info and ability to change SoC.
Burying the previously easily accessible defrosters into a menu is an odd choice for “winter enhancement” update…
I've only done a soft reset. Will try a hard reset tomorrow. Thanks for the suggestion.

I agree that the hiding the defroster is a little odd, but still not a huge deal for me.

I've only done a soft reset. Will try a hard reset tomorrow. Thanks for the suggestion.

I agree that the hiding the defroster is a little odd, but still not a huge deal for me.
How are you planning on doing this hard reset? In my 2012 Model S P90 with MCU2, I've tried resetting by holding down the two top buttons on the steering wheel while holding down the brake and the scroll wheels until the computers come back up.

I still am not able to adjust charge limit from the infotainment just like in your picture.

How are you planning on doing this hard reset? In my 2012 Model S P90 with MCU2, I've tried resetting by holding down the two top buttons on the steering wheel while holding down the brake and the scroll wheels until the computers come back up.

I still am not able to adjust charge limit from the infotainment just like in your picture.
The only way that I know of is to change your wheel size. There might be some other ways that somebody else can chime in with.

One subtle improvement I haven't seen mentioned yet is on the incoming call display. In V10, there was a slight delay after tapping the green "accept" button before the call connected and the display changed to an active call. I would sometimes think I had not tapped properly, and tap it again. However in that instant, the active call display would appear and guess where the red hang-up button was? Right where the green one used to be, so I would disconnect the call! In V11, those two buttons are now at opposite ends of the display so that annoying problem will not longer occur.