Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Legacy v11

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My experiences so far:
messy fonts at ETA summary, no estimated charge on leg arrival which even though all info is there it's quite unreadable
seat/wheel heating icons should be possible to have at the bottom bar. Actually scroll button could make it possible some as it does for temperature or fan speed
can't make fullscreen browser, especially annoying when keyboard takes up 2/3 of it.
But sometimes it doesn't open keyboard when clicking input (i.e. telegram)

Camera view when pressing sensors button doesn't display that. Funfact parking in reverse is ok.

Feels a little weird with charging status only on IC but maybe it makes sense.
Keyboard in browser and sensors preview seems to be fixed.
However I spotted something much worse. Navigation no longer comes through driver speaker. I hate this change. I want setting for it…

meaning it comes through all the speakers?
Sounds to me like it, yes. Or at least it doesn't mute currently playing stuff completely on driver side because they seem to play together. My wife noticed that as well. Didn't put the effort of using some sort of microphone to confirm the finding but my wife noticed the difference as well.

Linked post seem to confirm my finding Navigation voice directions.

• Informative
Reactions: TexasDuke
From what I can gather, they left us Legacy cars out of the newest update again and we can't add back the seats and defrost that everyone else is able to do. This is ridiculous. I hope someone will come up with some sort of "jailbreak" so that a real programer can add stuff for us. Would pay good money for that service since our cars are becoming more left out everyday. Guess I will be on V10 for the forseeable future.

we can't add back the seats and defrost

They are there in 2022.12.1, but as with all things Tesla, it's was weirdly implemented...

You can access them by pressing and holding the "Icon Launcher" [the square with the three dots inside], or by opening the "Icon Launcher" and then pressing and holding any "App Icon":

20220412_191359.jpg

I found it strange that you get a "Left Seat" and "Right Seat" shortcut, but regardless of which one you add, you get both added to the bottom bar. It should have been just one, and it should've been labeled something like "Seat Temp", that when dragged to the bottom, still adds both seats...
BTW, this works exactly the same on Palladium S and X's.

The good thing is you get both heated and cooled controls if equipped:

20220412_192143.jpg

Last edited:
They are there in 2022.12.1, but as with all things Tesla, it's was weirdly implemented...

You can access them by pressing and holding the "Icon Launcher" [the square with the three dots inside], or by opening the "Icon Launcher" and then pressing and holding any "App Icon":

View attachment 792998

I found it strange that you get a "Left Seat" and "Right Seat" shortcut, but regardless of which one you add, you get both added to the bottom bar. It should have been just one, and it should've been labeled something like "Seat Temp", that when dragged to the bottom, still adds both seats...

View attachment 793006
Thank GOD! This is great news!! Everywhere I read it just said for refresh S&X 3,Y. I can finally update now. Thanks once again Art!

Thank GOD! This is great news!! Everywhere I read it just said for refresh S&X 3,Y. I can finally update now. Thanks once again Art!
I'm gonna hang on top v10 a bit longer. I still find it better. My understanding is I'll lose my energy graph as an option in the IC right?

Also v11 music situation is very annoying. I prefer v10. I don't see any new features that justify upgrading to v11 yet IMO

You won't.
The energy graph is still available on both the IC and the MCU screen in all firmware releases of v11 for Legacy vehicles.

It's currently unavailable only on Palladium Model S and Model X, as their IC is not [yet] configurable.
Good to know. I am still gonna stick with v10 for now for these reasons....
-I don't like the new colored icons in v11, they look Android GingerBread from 10 years ago,
-I prefer v10 music interface. its cleaner. favorites are bigger. I see ZERO advantage to music setup in v11
-I prefer + and - Option for adjusting the fan speed. I am not interested in clicking and finding the bar and dragging it. We have to do that in our Y and I hate it
-There is literally nothing better about v11 I can see so far, so why switch?

I will keep holding out until my camera upgrade comes along and I have no choice, and only if v11 has some benefits by then.

Art, is the browser still reduced to half our screen like when V11 first came out or did they fix this and adjust the aspect for our vertical screens in this new release?

Not quite full screen but 3/4 of the screen:

20220413_124106.jpg

And starting with 2022.12.1 the browser got updated to a newer version of Chromium and we also now have a "Clear Browser Data" button on the Service tab in the Controls Menu, which should be useful when the browser starts to become laggy:

20220413_124232.jpg

Reactions: davezforce
I am still gonna stick with v10 for now

I totally agree with you. My wife drives a Raven Model X, which always gets updated to the latest firmware version as soon as it gets it, and I drive a Model S which is still on v10, as I haven't seen anything on my wife's X worthy of updating my Model S; although 2022.12.1 is looking to be quite an interesting firmware version 🤔.

As with many things, it's a matter of personal preference... 🤷‍♂️

View attachment 793240

And starting with 2022.12.1 the browser got updated to a newer version of Chromium and we also now have a "Clear Browser Data" button on the Service tab in the Controls Menu, which should be useful when the browser starts to become laggy:

View attachment 793243
Thanks for the info! Seems good enough for me to update, Just have to wait for the FSD beta version to be released. Losing the quick controls and reduced browser screen was enough to keep me on v10 & old version of the FSD beta, now that it’s basically back to what they removed in v10 I can hop on the v11 train.

Reactions: Art VandeIay

[...]

It's great that they brought back ability to have your choice of the seat heaters and front/rear defrosters show up on the bottom toolbar, but yeah the implementation could be better. With the MS' portrait-oriented screen, they limit you to just 4 icons of your choice, plus the launcher button (icon with 3dots), plus 1 recently used item. If you *don't* have the HVAC controls set to "SPLIT" mode, then there's a blank but otherwise wasted space on the far right (1st photo below). It seems they reserved that space for when you turn on Split HVAC mode (2nd photo below).

They should instead allow 5 custom icons if you're not using Split mode (I don't use split, so it's annoying I can only get 4 icons). I assume this isn't an issue with the M3 or MY landscape-oriented screens, they must have room to display more icons across the bottom, right?

re: Browser
I think it's annoying you can't get the complete full screen with the browser in MS/MX like you could with previous versions (was it v8 or v7?). Seems to be no logical reason why to waste the upper space showing a bit of the map instead allowing true full screen (maybe programmer laziness, I assume...)

Attachments

• IMG_9641.JPG
    IMG_9641.JPG
    137.2 KB · Views: 43
  • IMG_9642.JPG
    IMG_9642.JPG
    138.4 KB · Views: 51
  • Informative
Reactions: Art VandeIay

View attachment 792998

View attachment 793006
Is there a way to get the passenger seat control pinned to the bottom without having the climate set to dual control?

just recently noticed this - in v11 with the configurable bottom toolbar, if you normally drive by yourself and have climate control set up not-split, there is the previously mentioned empty/dead space towards the right where you'd otherwise see the passenger temp setting in dual/split-mode.

however if a passenger is sitting in the right seat, the passenger temp setting now appears there automatically when the car is is D or R, regardless of the split setting. Goes away again when passenger gets out of the seat. btw not unique to MS, I noticed same in a friend's MY

Last edited:
Reactions: Evee