TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Legal Read - Service Agreement (+4 years similar to warranty) doesn't require before?

Discussion in 'Model S' started by travwill, Mar 9, 2016.

1. travwill

travwill Member

Ok, just want a couple more opinions on this. The below paragraph is taken from the Extended Service Agreement, the one you can add up to 30 days prior to your initial warranty running out (i.e. your initial 4 yr/50,000 mi basic, 8 yr/unlimited mi powertrain warranty). You of course add another 50K/4 years to that with many exclusions of course.

In not talking about value or anything, the paragraph here mentions that you must maintain recommended service yearly (e.g. yearly appointments for servicing) DURING the agreement period of the ESA. That makes sense to keep it valid.

BUT, what I'm thinking is that this does clear you from having to do all services BEFORE you sign up for the ESA. I struggle with this because the first years service seems so simple, replacing a key fob (do that myself), wipers (done that myself), air filter (can do that), etc. for quite a bit of $$$. Plus the car is relatively new still. Maybe I'll do year 2,3,4, if seems to need it.

But, in skipping year one, that doesn't seem to impact the ESA at all, as the agreement Period really starts when you sign up for the ESA and it kicks in at the end of your first 4year/50K warranty expiring.

Agree?

From ESA:
    To maintain the validity of this Vehicle ESA, You must follow correct operations procedures and have Your Vehicleserviced as recommended by Tesla during the Agreement Period of this Vehicle ESA. If requested, proof of requiredservice, including receipts showing date and mileage of the Vehicle at the time of service, must be presented before anyrepairs under this Vehicle ESA commence. Service within 1,000 miles and/or 30 days of Tesla’s recommended intervalsshall be considered compliant with the terms of this Vehicle ESA.

2. bhzmark

bhzmark Active Member

That looks right.

3. EarlyAdopter

EarlyAdopter Active Member

Note the words in bold. This would seem clear to me to not be retroactive with any past service requirements, but only ones during the ESA.