Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Legal window tinting MD - Model 3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am currently in TX, moving to MD this summer, want to get the windows tinted on my M3 within legal limits of Maryland. Does M3 comes with any factory tint on the 4 doors? (not the rear window which is already tinted?) The tint shop recommended 35% all over as the 4 doors don't have factory tint according to them. Is that a true statement? I dont want to fail the MD state inspection during out of state vehicle registration and end up ripping off the tint. :( Since the rear window is already tinted, should I go with 50% VLT instead? Any tips much appreciated from folks in MD.

I will be using Llumar CTX ceramic tint.

There is always some level of tint on glass. Nothing can be 100% clear because all material is going to absorb some amount of light that passes through it.

Typically “clear” automotive glass will inherently have 80-85% VLT. So if your total VLT needs to be higher than 35% then you need 45% tint or higher.

35% tint on “clear glass” would read 28-30% VLT total. Maybe that’s close enough to slide by, but depends how strict the cops are in the area and if they actually pull out a VLT meter or just eyeball it if it looks “too dark”.

Reactions: nitynity
I am currently in TX, moving to MD this summer, want to get the windows tinted on my M3 within legal limits of Maryland. Does M3 comes with any factory tint on the 4 doors? (not the rear window which is already tinted?) The tint shop recommended 35% all over as the 4 doors don't have factory tint according to them. Is that a true statement? I dont want to fail the MD state inspection during out of state vehicle registration and end up ripping off the tint. :( Since the rear window is already tinted, should I go with 50% VLT instead? Any tips much appreciated from folks in MD.

I will be using Llumar CTX ceramic tint.
The model threes do not come with factory tent on the four side windows only on the top half of the back window. If you put 35% on all five windows, you will pass your inspection. It’s important that you ask the company. If the 35% they are using is what it meters on the glass or out of the box. You do not want to pay to have the vehicle tinted just to have it inspected and have it meter at 30%

I would wait until after you pass inspection, and then get tint. Every county is different, some do yearly inspections. Mine is one and done. Or at least call a few inspection shops and ask questions. When I moved here a shop wouldn't pass me with 45% tint because they said all tint was illegal since they didn't have a tint gun.

But when I got my Model 3 used from out of state, the passenger window tint had to be removed. And then I found out the windscreen was tinted as well. I think all the removal of tint and then tinting cost me like $500. I still have not had the windscreen re-tinted, but I am thinking about it.

There is always some level of tint on glass. Nothing can be 100% clear because all material is going to absorb some amount of light that passes through it.

Typically “clear” automotive glass will inherently have 80-85% VLT. So if your total VLT needs to be higher than 35% then you need 45% tint or higher.

35% tint on “clear glass” would read 28-30% VLT total. Maybe that’s close enough to slide by, but depends how strict the cops are in the area and if they actually pull out a VLT meter or just eyeball it if it looks “too dark”.
It’s not the cops, the state inspection centers fail you if you don’t pass. You can’t get your vehicle registered in that case. You have only 60 days to get it done once moving in.

Reactions: E90alex
The model threes do not come with factory tent on the four side windows only on the top half of the back window. If you put 35% on all five windows, you will pass your inspection. It’s important that you ask the company. If the 35% they are using is what it meters on the glass or out of the box. You do not want to pay to have the vehicle tinted just to have it inspected and have it meter at 30%
That’s the problem. 35% doesn’t mean it passes 35% VLT. It drops down to around 30 or so as E90alex stated.

But when I got my Model 3 used from out of state, the passenger window tint had to be removed. And then I found out the windscreen was tinted as well. I think all the removal of tint and then tinting cost me like $500. I still have not had the windscreen re-tinted, but I am thinking about it.
I’m thinking the same. Wait until after inspection. I have a second SUV which I tinted last year with 30VLT on front and 15 all around. 70VLT on windshield. Cost me around 1K. Now the front and windshield needs to come off for the stupid inspection to pass. It SUCKS. :(