Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Legend of Lightning Green

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Ok, now for the "Second day you got your Roadster"-Facts.

1) Getting the soft top off and back on again: 4 minutes of work, including putting it in the bag. Still more training needed.
2) Drove 10 times for 2 meters back and fort in the garage. No chance of getting elsewhere without the license plates.
4) Checked the pieces of plastic for the plates. It seems like the plate on the back needs to be fixed on the car with 4 white adhesive stripes I've found in the trunk.
6) The fans didn't turn on this time when I was charging. With 16A and 220 V the car will gain 1 km of range ca. every 3 minutes, that means approx. 20 km per hour.
7) I'm getting better at opening the trunk. It worked 80% off the times I tried to do it. Still have to perfectionate the doubleklick-technique.
8) The car stopped smelling strange. It smells almost neutral to me, no smell of new car either.
10) Took off the sun visor on the passenger side too. Almost demolished the rear mirror by doing that.
11) I have these mini tiny sound boxes left and right in the doors. I don't hear any sound out of them. A mail to Tesla about this hasn't been answered yet.
12) After some tuning the sound is a bit better but a letdown compared to my previous car which had only a standard system as well.
14) Bought a new USB stick, 4 GB instead of 8 GB. This one works without problems. Maybe the other one will work to after reformatting but no need to try anymore.
18) Didn't find the courage to try the honk again.
22) Found out you can dim the dash and buttons etc. with a lever (knob? don't know the english word for this) at the left. Looks cool!
23) The glove box is thiny. In the old car I had a towel, half liter of water, ice shaver, a pen and a notepad, adhesive roll and some other stuff in it. There's no space for putting something larger in the cabin. Where do you put the vehicle papers?
24) The intern lights are weak. The trunk light is almost non existent, the light in the cabin is pretty small too.

What did you expect from a super sport car? :biggrin: Put your Documents in the glove box plus your gloves (you will need in wintertime) its a glovebox nothing else :rolleyes:
Put your waterbottle on the sill or in the back between the seats. Your jacket fits under jour knee. :cool:

The trunk is fine, Ferraris nor Lamborghini have bigger size. :frown:
Hope you get your plates soon, you will fall in :love: quickly

What did you expect from a super sport car? :biggrin: Put your Documents in the glove box plus your gloves (you will need in wintertime) its a glovebox nothing else :rolleyes:
Put your waterbottle on the sill or in the back between the seats. Your jacket fits under jour knee. :cool:

The trunk is fine, Ferraris nor Lamborghini have bigger size. :frown:
Hope you get your plates soon, you will fall in :love: quickly

I did not expect anything, just commenting my first impressions. Since I hate using gloves and never use them, maybe I can fit something else there. A tiny pen, a tiny notepad, a very very tiny towel... :biggrin:

I'm already in love just by looking at the car. :love:

Ok, now for the "Second day you got your Roadster"-Facts.
22) Found out you can dim the dash and buttons etc. with a lever (knob? don't know the english word for this) at the left. Looks cool!

Um, how does that work? Which stalk? (I think they're called "stalks"). I mostly drive at night and the bright dashboard can be a bit much.

EDIT: Found it... Reading the manual is always the last resort.

15. Instrument panel illumination control. See Instrument panel lighting, page 6-14.

24) The intern lights are weak. The trunk light is almost non existent, the light in the cabin is pretty small too.

There's a light in the cabin? Is that only the Euro version? I don't think there's a light in mine.

EDIT: Found that too! Imagine that, a manual with useful information! I won't believe there's a light until I see it with my own eyes.

Interior light 7-6

Dragon: It probably would have done me some good to have a week of non-driving of my Roadster to learn this stuff like you!

Last edited:
Mine never worked properly, it usually opened with a few repeated clicks. A few weeks ago they fixed it. It opens with one-click from the dash or remote each time, every time.

From 2.0 (2010) user's manual:

Programmable button

You can program the top button on the key fob to perform one of the following functions:

• Alarm — sounds the horn and flashes the exterior lights flash for one minute. Press again to cancel the alarm.
  • Trunk release — opens the trunk
  • HomeLink® device — operates a HomeLink device such as a garage door or gate

By default, Tesla has programmed this key to open the trunk. To re-program this button, use the Touch Screen. Refer to the Touch Screen Users Manual, provided in your owners package.

To activate the programmed function, press the button twice.

Emphasis added.

Stupidly, it only says this in the section on the key FOB, not the section Opening the trunk!!!

Ah, I see what you mean; yes one-push from the dash, one double-click from the remote. But, reliably, it shouldn't take a few goes.

I find if you click it too quickly, the car doesn't recognize it as a double click. And by "too quick" I mean half a second.

The entire car seems to be a little slow to recognize things. You close the door and you have to wait a second before you can lock it. Open the door and it takes about a second to wake up and turn on the VDS screen and cooling pump. There must be a relatively slow cycle time on the bus.

Dragon: It probably would have done me some good to have a week of non-driving of my Roadster to learn this stuff like you!

Lol. I guess so.
I have perfect knowledge of the manual. That's because I read it over and over while waiting for the car. I was surprised by the stepless dimmer for the instruments. It goes from "almost can't see it" to "eye burning bright". Nice, it was one of the things that were an issue in my old car.
Do you know there is an altitude meter in the car too? Nice feature too. My garage is 540 m above zero.

At day 3 now I'm used to the key fob. I've reached 100% trunk-opening-ratio with double clicks. Yes!
I'm now fast at working with the soft top too. Yes! Altough I was a little too fast, discovered some bad bruises in the carbon fiber. No! Didn't think the carbon is so vulnerable.
Today the service manager was at my home. I was very surprised by that, he came all the way from Milan only to check the tweeters. It took some hours to fix it. Now they work! Yes!

And had another experience of curious guy. As he walked by he stayed many minutes to ask me many questions. The first one was: "How much does it cost?" His estimate was 40.000 €. It's then that I said that would be the price of a Lotus, here you have an electric car. Strangely enough the fact that it was electric didn't impress him and he said he probably should consider buying an electric car too. I suggested the Model S. After a while I had to go elsewhere, he didn't want to leave anymore.

Day 4. Discovered that the service guy had pushed the container of the radio too far inside. Thus the rectangular plate was loose and the radio was a bit inclined. Really strange he didn't notice that when he reassembled the cockpit.
I managed to fix it with two screwdrivers on top and bottom and some pulling. Honestly a masterpiece of work by myself. :cool: Happy I did it, it wasn't easy without the option of disassembling the cockpit.

There were some other minor flaws, like a panel not fitting well. Could fix that too. It's a pity, as a service manager you should be a perfectionist and don't miss something like that.

I have a cool new foto of my car too.
roadster570_7.jpg

Last edited:
Dragon - Glad that your car is finally in your possession, even though you cannot do much other than play with all the buttons and screens. No need to post when you finally get your plates, we'll know it by your absence. In the meantime, my fingers are crossed that the bureaucrats there get your plates to you.

(Maybe this is just part of a cruel reality show, with people on the sidelines taking bets on how long it will take before you go for a spin with plates, totally lose your mind, or have a public meltdown at the license plate office.)