Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Legend of Lightning Green

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Good luck on getting the papers. Our thoughts are with you.

My sister lived in Italy for three years, about 45 years ago. She said at that time that the bureaucracy was archaic and dreadful. Bribes were the norm. Utility bills had to be paid in cash and in person. Red tape was impossible to negotiate. She loved the country, but hated the way things were run.

There are other Roadsters in Italy - I think for around two years - so what's the problem this time? I don't get it.

Hi dpeilow, I explained it already 2 or 3 times in this thread. However, it's really getting a long thread so... here we go again.
My car is the first one that they tried to register through Tesla Milan, the store which opened in december 2010. All the other cars were registered through Tesla Monaco, which they couldn't do anymore once they had the store in Milan. I don't know the details, but at first it seems they had problems to be accepted as italian company that can register cars. Then they made a mistake to pay not enough added value tax. These things delayed the registration for about a month. The other month and half it seems the italian authorities were just crazy slow to check if everything is ok with this strange new electric car.

Well, you have to know that in Italy nothing goes forward on it's own. You have to call and ask and beg. Every day, then maybe they will slowly proceed.
I didn't do this, because I thought Tesla Milan would do this for me. They didn't do it, because they had no experience with things like this and/or because they believed the company they commissioned to get the papers would do this. At first, always in my humble opinion, it seemed they really didn't care much about it. After all this time and me getting mad, they sure do now.

But still nobody can say when they get the paperworks done. They keep saying "tomorrow" lately. The last two weeks were full of tomorrows.

If I get to know who is responsible for this I'll use the silence of the Tesla to run him over.

18) Didn't find the courage to try the honk again.

Yesterday a guy who preordered a Model S and heard I had the Roadster came all the way at my home to see it in person. Crazy things, nobody did that for my Toyota Corolla!
Since nobody else was at home and we came to speek about the honk, I warned him and said that I will push it. Despite this, he got pretty scared. :biggrin:

Later I scared myself when I tried to close the car with the keys and had the hood still open. Damn! :frown:
I like it. :rolleyes:

...and we came to speek about the honk, I warned him and said that I will push it. Despite this, he got pretty scared. :biggrin:

Later I scared myself when I tried to close the car with the keys and had the hood still open. Damn! :frown:
I like it. :rolleyes:

Dragon, thanks for the updates and entertaining stories from your experience. You reminded me of something - not sure if this should be filed under "things to do in your Roadster" or "things to not do in your Roadster"...

Since we've only had our Roadster about three weeks, I am still working through all the people who asked to see the Roadster when it arrived; on Monday (July 4th holiday here) I took it to show an old boss, and I let him drive it around the block. He was nervous and drove very slowly. To give you the correct mental image, this happens to be in a very wealthy and very Jewish neighbourhood of New Jersey. It's very peaceful at the weekends. Lots of people in these neighbourhoods just go out walking, and the pavements/sidewalks are wide and clean and the roads are very well maintained. There is basically no motorised traffic.

So, nobody noticed us creeping around at 10 mph in near slience. We went around and around but nobody looked. This was very annoying to my old boss, who wanted people to see him in the futuristic sports car. Eventually, as we ghosted about six feet from two oblivious people he had singled out, he lost patience and asked me where the horn was. I was trying to warn him about the sound but as soon as I showed him he let out a two-second semi-truck blast and yelled "Hey Rabbi! Check this out!" at which point the poor old guy looked like he'd been Tazered and almost fell into some bushes. When he recovered his composure he just stood staring, paralysed (the term "fear of God" comes to mind) and I am convinced that he didn't recognise the driver. He probably still wonders who it was.

On a similar note, I've noticed that as a general rule, people don't recognise me in the Roadster. Even when they see it is me and have no excuse at all, e.g. with the top down, they have a look of "did you just *steal* that car?" on their faces. I think seeing me in that car is something people subconsciously erase from memory; so completely unlikely that it can only have been a hallucination. This is probably because people in our neighbourhood only know me from seeing me walking our dogs, with me dressed in what amounts to pyjamas.

Yes, Italy works differently. Sometimes it is very annoying, and sometimes it is so charming! B.t.w. my annoyance is that the HPC's in the Milano store worked only when Elon Musk was there and now they do not work, and it seems that they will not start to work very soon, but on the other hand, we can get surprised by Italians!

But Dragon you asked about the licence plates. I know here in Switzerland everything is very different, and you can use your plates on several cars, but here is how the plates are fixed on my car. I think the car has lived as a demonstrator in Germany, Monaco and Italy, so that is why those nasty wholes in the back:

th_dbc4ef3c.jpg

In the front:

th_404b769e.jpg

and from beneath

th_56990231.jpg

Unleashed the Dragon!!!

It was a chaotic day, with Tesla Milan telling me I could drive with a temporary permission paper whilest the motorization office at Bolzano I asked for support told me it wouldn't be possible with the paper I had received from Tesla. Well, Tesla Milan asked the motorization office from Milan and they confirmed it would be possible. A problem could be that some parts are not filled out. Well, I got the plates and was able to insure the car (they made a mistake too and couldn't change it for now, but I'll pass on this one...), so everything that is missing now is the property certificate and the drive paper. I'm not sure if I'm legaly on the safe side, but with plates mounted, insurance made and this strange temporary permission paper I at least don't think I'm doing so wrong.

Now to the interesting part. I drove about 150 km and had a blast. I stopped at a gas station to pick something up and was surrounded by curious people. Then back on the street I think I pissed some BMW and Mercedes drivers off, showing them how superior my acceleration was. After a while I picked my mom up at home. The first time I accelerated she got really scared. After a while and getting more confident with the car (and maybe my abilities to drive it...) she said to push the accelerator again only for begging to slow down a few seconds later. It sure was fun.

The not so fun part was, approaching home, we got in a really heavy rain. There were short moments I couldn't see anything, partially blaming the bad headlights and the windshield wiper which smeared because it was his first time being used. Safely back in the garage I encountered two old friends of the Roadster driver: Mr. Fogging Headlights and Sir Door Sill Problem.

Tomorrow it will be perfect summer weather. The car is charging now in the garage, waiting for some topless action. What a pity friday is a working day.

By the way, the fogging headlights can be fixed. The Menlo Park store needed my car about 4 hours to take care of it - I've not seen any fog since then.

That's interesting! A Service Ranger told me this week that a fix would be forthcoming "sometime soon". My car has to go back to the shop for a leaky window (rainy season has started!) in the next week or two, guess I can push them on the foggy lights now.

Dragon: I'm glad you finally got your license and papers and can drive your car! Drive carefully, and enjoy!

I, too, have fogging headlights. It's been clear, sunny, dry weather, and they fog up. What causes that? Can the Tesla Rangers fix it without taking the car to the shop? That's a LONG trip from here, just a bit too long to drive without a stop for charging.

I, too, have fogging headlights. It's been clear, sunny, dry weather, and they fog up. What causes that? Can the Tesla Rangers fix it without taking the car to the shop?

I recall stories of opening up an access port and blowing dry air in with a hair-dryer. Might only be a temporary fix, but at least it is portable.

Yes, then they "plug" the access port / hole with a Gortex patch (lets moisture out, but not in)...a smart fix, but I understand that they are out of these patches and are looking for a new supplier...

I recall stories of opening up an access port and blowing dry air in with a hair-dryer. Might only be a temporary fix, but at least it is portable.