Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Legend of Lightning Green

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yeah... not sure if I tapped into the reserve or not. I was in range mode but the charge mode was standard... not sure if that is relevant though. I didn't perform any action to access reserve charge (isn't it necessary to turn the key or something to get to that last 10%? Thought I read that somewhere).

hmm, perhaps I should talk to the spanish goverment that they take back your plates and give you some more time to reread the manual ?:crying:

Of course I'm kidding because the manual is not clear about that :wink::biggrin:

While driving in "Range Mode" you get no warnings about tapping into the reserve. The only hint is, that you see "Range unknown" at the VDS, from there you are in the land of unknown range and you were lucky to get to your garage.
While driving in Standard or Performance Mode you got some warnings, first is power reduction, then several warnings that you should switch to Range Mode. If you don't switch to Range Mode the car finally automatically slows down and stops, then you have to turn the key to get the final reserve and you are again in the land of unknown range.

If you have a new battery you can assume that you have max. 40 km final reserve, but with an older battery the final reserve is shrinking, so be careful with the reserve :wink:

btw the drive modes Standard, Performance and Range have nothing to do with the charging modes Storage, Standard, Range and Performance.

I think turning the key puts you into Performance mode (not sure if it does other modes as well). You can tap the battery symbol on the VDS and that will cycle through all the charge modes as well.

While driving in "Range Mode" you get no warnings about tapping into the reserve. The only hint is, that you see "Range unknown" at the VDS, from there you are in the land of unknown range and you were lucky to get to your garage.

The "Range unknown" surprised me the other day - Had approximately 50 km ideal range left when the PEM suddenly announced "Range unknown" and ideal range went to zero. Not very logical that the PEM lets you down like that at a time when input on remaining power is critical. Expect that there is a technical explanation for Teslas choice !?

The "Range unknown" surprised me the other day - Had approximately 50 km ideal range left when the PEM suddenly announced "Range unknown" and ideal range went to zero. Not very logical that the PEM lets you down like that at a time when input on remaining power is critical. Expect that there is a technical explanation for Teslas choice !?

They don't want people complaining, "it said I had THREE km left, but the car ran out of power and stopped anyway!"

+ the actual reserve (in range) is shrinking with the age of the battery.

I assume that you were driving in Range Mode. Then the IR shown was (assumed) reserve + IR in Standard Mode. In your case this means you should have had 10 km IR in Standard Mode.
I would prefer if Range Mode also hides the reserve as it does in Standard Mode.

Almost "killed" myself today on a mountain road. Going downwards there was a car in front of me which I surpassed. Suddenly there pops a 120° turn out in front of me, I think I approached it with 100-110 kmh. I didn't brake immediately on entering the turn, only after I realized that with this speed and at this angle the car would hit the guard rails. Soon after I hit the brakes I felt the ABS and heard the tires squeak because of the harsh turn. Probably traction control kicked in as well, the rear slipped a bit. Somehow I managed to get out of it unharmed.
My second thought after "OMFG!!" was "What a great car!". I'm sure with a normal car and with other tires than the sticky AD07 at least I would have some damage at the car. I'm also aware that with a normal car I would never have got into a turn like that with such elevated speed, but that's another story. Damn, was that scary!