Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Legislation allowing autonomous vehicles, state by state

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I purchased my Model S from new inventory. I definitely wanted EAP and am very interested in FSD but didn't mandate that as a requirement at the time, happy to pay for the upgrade when working but more importantly if/when there legally allowed. It looks like most testing (although not all) of autonomous vehicles has been done in California, so I am making an assumption that they will be one of the early states to pass legislation. I live in Texas and am wondering how long it will take (if at all) for legislators here to accept the same. Interested to hear others views on which states might be at the head of the pack and those that will be kicking and screaming.

I purchased my Model S from new inventory. I definitely wanted EAP and am very interested in FSD but didn't mandate that as a requirement at the time, happy to pay for the upgrade when working but more importantly if/when there legally allowed. It looks like most testing (although not all) of autonomous vehicles has been done in California, so I am making an assumption that they will be one of the early states to pass legislation. I live in Texas and am wondering how long it will take (if at all) for legislators here to accept the same. Interested to hear others views on which states might be at the head of the pack and those that will be kicking and screaming.

From what I've seen Cali Michigan and Florida seem to be ahead of the pack and other states more mum. I do get the feeling that once it starts it'll become federal quickly.

All just my own thoughts though.

There's one thing you're forgetting. Many states don't have any legislation around it at all, meaning it's not illegal.

This. Illinois doesn't currently prohibit it currently. I'm hoping it becomes reality before our dysfunctional government mucks it all up. I'm hoping Madigan Cullerton and Rauner all have Teslas or friends with them. It's a decent bet.