TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Legislator says cyclists’ heavy breathing causes pollution as they ride

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Toasty, Mar 5, 2013.

1. Toasty

Toasty Member

Legislator says cyclists’ heavy breathing causes pollution as they ride

5ap-Bicycle_E-Mail.jpg

Legislator says cyclists’ heavy breathing causes pollution as... | www.kirotv.com

SEATTLE — A state legislator started a firestorm by claiming bicyclists add to greenhouse gas emissions by breathing heavily as they ride.
    Bike shop owner Dale Carlson said he was so concerned about a proposal to tax bicycle sales that he wrote to state legislators.
    The email he received back from the transportation committee’s ranking Republican, Ed Orcutt of Kalama, made an unusual claim.
    “He talked about the effect on global warming we have from breathing hard,” said Carlson.
    Orcutt refuted the idea that cycling is environmentally friendly by explaining that cyclists have “an increased heart rate and respiration.”
    Orcutt wrote that means “the act of riding a bike results in greater emissions of carbon dioxide from the rider. Since CO2 is deemed to be a greenhouse gas and a pollutant, bicyclists are actually polluting when they ride,” the email said.
    “Oh, I thought that was amusing,” said Carlson.
    Carlson forwarded Orcutt’s email to a friend. It’s now all over cycling blogs and social media.
    In an interview with the Seattle Bike Blog, Orcutt went a step further and was quoted saying “you would be giving off more CO2 if you are riding a bike than driving a car.”
    When KIRO 7 Eyewitness News reporter Graham Johnson reached Orcutt by phone, he retracted what he had said.
    “I was over the top on that one and I do apologize to the cycling community for that,” said Orcutt.
    Orcutt acknowledged there was no merit to his claims.
    “It’s not a strong enough argument. I really shouldn’t have even brought it up,” said Orcutt.
    “That’s good to hear,” said Carlson.
    Carlson hopes attention turns to the House Democrats’ proposed bike tax.
    The tax would help fund road improvements with a $25 sales fee on bikes worth $500 or more.
    Opponents say it would hurt cyclists and small businesses.

2. RDoc

RDoc S85D

I've personally witnessed very heavy breathing in an ICE while parked!

3. wycolo

wycolo Active Member

Related news: Effective today 5 Mar 2013 the NWS (US National Weather Service) is discontinuing their OZONE monitoring and reporting. No reason given except $$$ $aving. I posted a comment. Ozone NOT good for respiratory health. Will miss the reports.
    --

4. sp4rk

sp4rk Banned

C'mon Bonnie!
    You need to move this comment to the naughty thread? :tongue:

5. Al Sherman

Al Sherman It's about THIS car.

Great. That's just what we need. Yet ANOTHER fool in political office.

6. Johan

Johan Took a TSLA bear test. Came back negative.

Only in the US of A...(?)
    Or is that my predjudice talking?

7. vfx

vfx Well-Known Member

8. Al Sherman

Al Sherman It's about THIS car.

If it's a question, no. If it's a statement, more than likely yes.

9. Lloyd

Lloyd Active Member

10. brianman

brianman Burrito Founder

Since Lloyd seems to have some actual numbers...

Are there any EV (maker/model) and power-supplier (country/state) combinations that make "heavy biking is worse than an EV" plausible?

In the era of EV "discrimination" for noise-makers, taxes, etc., this might prove a useful tool for political discussions and decision-making.

11. ElSupreme

ElSupreme Model S 03182

When I was in College at Georgia Tech a few of us actually calculated the amount of CO2 that is produced when riding a bike. It is WAY more than you imagine. And in fact a small efficient EV (there really weren't production EVs at the time) could easily match or beat bike riding. When you start factoring in Nuclear, Wind, or Solar power you can easily win with an EV. We actually stopped going into the numbers deeper because EVs could easily be made to beat out bicycles.

Two things to note. We never considered the amount of CO2 produced by a person in the EV. I would think this number to be quite significant.

Riding a bicycle can serve two purposes at once, exercise AND commute. And as such a ton of CO2 from riding a bike isn't the same as riding in a car. As the person riding in a car is more likely to exercise in ADDITION to driving, thus negating all the excess CO2 produced by the cyclist.

CO2 produced by people is 100% closed loop. As we consume our carbon 100% from sources that pull it from the air.

12. dave

dave Member

Hmmm... taking the bicycle promotes physical fitnesss, so although there is increased CO2 emissions while riding the bicycle, your body becomes more fit and there should be less overall CO2 emissions when doing ordinary tasks such as climbing stairs. Or trying to get in your S without touching the B pillar. :)

13. Liz G

Liz G P03056

14. Doug_G

Doug_G Lead Moderator

15. ChadS

ChadS Petroleum is for sissies

Old but related thread comparing a bicycle to a Roadster HERE.

16. strider

strider Active Member

I think this is a ploy to undermine the EPA's attempts to regulate carbon/CO2 under the Clean Air Act. They are trying to get these kinds of stories out there so they can talk about how absurd it would be to regulate carbon.

"If the EPA regulates carbon/CO2 then that will mean you won't be able to ride a bike around without paying a tax!"

17. NigelM

NigelM Recovering Member

Politicians talk to much, thereby contributing too much CO2 etc.....

Too much typing is making me exhausted, I'm producing excess CO2.....Gotta. Stop.

18. Kipernicus

Kipernicus Model S Res#P1440

Don't we need to take it one step further and calculate the ground-to-bad-breath carbon impact if said bicyclist is a vegan versus a meat eater? All those cow farts!

19. drees

drees Active Member

But you're forgetting that many fossil fuel inputs go into producing food that we eat. A full lifecycle analysis would need to be done. A heavy meat eater might emit much more CO2 than a vegan, for example as meat is very energy intensive to produce.

Now if you're able to ride to work without eating any additional food (and many people can), then you really aren't producing any extra CO2.

20. Doug_G

Doug_G Lead Moderator

No, I'm not forgetting that; however, I think that the agriculture industry should take responsibility for their CO2 impact. If you think about it, you could allocate all global CO2 impacts to the end consumers. Food isn't any different because we stick it in our mouths. But if we decide that the end consumer is responsible for all CO2 impacts in the world, then there is no incentive for companies to improve their operations.

There are companies that have built economically and environmentally sustainable farming operations. A lot can be done to mitigate impacts from the agriculture sector, without impacting food production.