Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Legislature fails to act - TX manufactured vehicles still can't be sold in TX

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I’ve bought 2 Teslas in Texas, 1 used and 1 new, and it just isn’t as hard as all these articles make it out to be.

however dumb the law is, it won’t make any difference to the consumer. There will still be tons of CTs rolling around Texas.

I’ve bought 2 Teslas in Texas, 1 used and 1 new, and it just isn’t as hard as all these articles make it out to be.

however dumb the law is, it won’t make any difference to the consumer. There will still be tons of CTs rolling around Texas.
Shipping vehicles manufactured in TX out of state so that they can then re-enter the state to be "picked up" (vs. delivered) will add some measure of cost (even if abstracted from the consumer) and delay.

Shipping vehicles manufactured in TX out of state so that they can then re-enter the state to be "picked up" (vs. delivered) will add some measure of cost (even if abstracted from the consumer) and delay.
Hopefully they'll be able to just process the paperwork out of state or find some loophole which will allow them to avoid such a crazy and inefficient process.

shipping & storing CT will be the easiest & least expensive- hence, Tesla will sale & make tons of profit on CT.

1622229331872.png

• Funny
Reactions: TechOps and mociaf9
I don’t understand this logic. Other than Ford, GM etc. pay a lot to prevent competition and sustainable energy.
I don't think it's Ford, GM, etc. I think it's the auto dealers. They portray themselves as a family business (even naming the dealers) but most a part of very large auto groups with very deep pockets. Any manufacturer gets in without using a dealer will slowly chip away at the dealers.

Reactions: mociaf9 and CO_MY
stupid law….

I’m sure it’s just a paperwork shuffle. Vehicle is located in TX, but owned by Tesla in CA. Tesla sells you the vehicle and you send the payment to them in CA. You pick up your vehicle at one of their TX “galleries“, with a CA temp tag.

The vehicle “sale“ takes place in CA through the magic of mail and the internet.
California does not facilitate this process. Vehicles registering California must pay California taxes, no 'temporary tag' exists in CA. Nevada has them and many other Staes too, but not California. That is why only California residents take delivery at Fremont. If your local taxes are 7.5% or more then California is fine since you'll only need to pay for tags, but not incremental taxes. Generally, that is, each State and some subordinate jurisdictions have their own rules.

I don't think it's Ford, GM, etc. I think it's the auto dealers. They portray themselves as a family business (even naming the dealers) but most a part of very large auto groups with very deep pockets. Any manufacturer gets in without using a dealer will slowly chip away at the dealers.
It is Ford and GM as much as the auto dealers. At the last Texas house committee hearing on a Tesla sales bill, I think in 2017, both the auto manufacturers trade group and GM testified against the bill. That was the same year GM lobbyists killed a bill in the Maryland legislature liberalizing the sales law for Tesla. Reading between the lines, their position basically came down to “if we have to be stuck with selling thru dealers, Tesla should have to sell thru dealers too.”

Reactions: brkaus
There's also still the special session this summer where something could be slipped into a bill. But it's curious that Tesla hasn't made a bigger stink about this. Makes me think they have some sort of administrative workaround in mind or already negotiated they can whip out if the law isn't changed. We'll see.

There's also still the special session this summer where something could be slipped into a bill. But it's curious that Tesla hasn't made a bigger stink about this. Makes me think they have some sort of administrative workaround in mind or already negotiated they can whip out if the law isn't changed. We'll see.
The bill was killed by leaving it in committee to appease the dealers and manufacturers with deep pockets. It’s not coming back in a special session.