Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Legitimate locations for superchargers in 2022/23

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
That's a helpful list, thank you. Where is that from?
Mildura is a sizeable town (by Oz standards) - but more importantly it's on the main route from Sydney to Adelaide, which I suspect is the reason for it and Wagga Wagga and Renmark. If I lived in a smaller town, I wouldn't need the SC for my Tesla - but when I'm travelling long distances I need them along the way. Sydney to Adelaide will be doable (in a more timely manner) when those three are done.

That's a helpful list, thank you. Where is that from?
Mildura is a sizeable town (by Oz standards) - but more importantly it's on the main route from Sydney to Adelaide, which I suspect is the reason for it and Wagga Wagga and Renmark. If I lived in a smaller town, I wouldn't need the SC for my Tesla - but when I'm travelling long distances I need them along the way. Sydney to Adelaide will be doable (in a more timely manner) when those three are done.
Oops, sorry. They were just my suggestions that I think are fairly legitimate for travel routes
I’ve updated my post
Any others?

Reactions: HSV_GTS
It's an interesting question as to whether Tesla builds out regional networks.

Or instead leaves that to the third party providers who are brand agnostic and are able to access government grants, and focuses mainly on the trunk routes (which might still include a few of the above).

Particularly if they say add Chargefox (likely eventually including NRMA) and Evie stations to the in-car maps as they have done in some Euro countries.

Certainly from my ocassional scanning of the maps, it's only ever the CBD stations that have reasonable usage

Reactions: Pete Gorton
Cowra NSW would be my top pick for a candidate Supercharger site.

It's the crossing point of the Lachlan Valley Way/Canowindra Rd and the Olympic Highway, both of which are major routes. It would help connect up the inland routes to Brisbane/Gold Coast/Sunshine Coast from Melbourne and Canberra.

Distances from surrounding Superchargers:

210km from Dubbo
193km from Canberra
164km from Gundagai
207km from Goulburn
108km from Bathurst

Good thread, I find that whenever these are posted (on social media) people just list places near themselves, or go straight to the ridiculous ("build stations across the Nullarbor" - not that such a long term plan isn't ridiculous but look at existing coverage - they're obviously not at that point). It's nice to hear suggestions that reflect a reasonable rate of growth and breadth of coverage.

One area that I'm surprised isn't covered more in WA. I know that any new location in the eastern states has a multiplier effect on the rest of the eastern network as a whole, so it's a lot harder to justify in WA. However had they progressed at a faster rate initially, the entire south west (South and West of Kalgoorlie) could've been built out by now. In any case the Perth-Bunbury-Albany triangle is a good target for end of 2023, as well as site at Northam and Brookton (sort of a hub-and-spoke layout around Perth).

Port Augusta is an obvious one. Perfectly spaced from Clare, home of some progressive organisations in the renewable space, and not only does all the traffic heading from the south-eastern states to Darwin and Perth pass through, but also the Eyre Peninsula and the Flinders Ranges.

In Victoria, Ouyen or Sea Lake would be ideal to serve both traffic towards Mildura and some Adelaide/Sydney cross traffic, as well as Mt Gambier (SA)/Hamilton the south west.

Of course I was going to get to Tassie :) The main highway here is best considered as a regional route south of Melbourne in the same way as the Princes Highway east and west of Melbourne is. Evie Networks have reported that their 350 kW site in Campbell Town is the highest utilised of all their sites nationwide. Electric Highway Tasmania has reported that about 30% of the vehicles using their sites (which notably are NOT on the main highway) are interstate vehicles.

East Devonport, Campbell Town and Hobart are ideally spaced (gaps of 146 km and 133 km) for those coming off the ferry and travelling to Hobart. I would suggest a different location than Campbell Town for the central stop (just for variety, with Evie) but there really isn't a town in that region with as many facilities. Campbell Town is also great as it gets those stopping on the Launceston-Hobart route too.

One thing that there hasn't been much talk about is duplication of the Melbourne-Sydney-Brisbane route, as well as rollout of V3 sites. My prediction is that the first V3s will appear on this route, about 250-300 km out of each city. Or to put it another way, we may see V3s in Wangaratta, Yass, Bulahdelah... (and Maclean/Harwood fits the location for the route out of Brisbane but obviously that wasn't V3). This isn't because of traffic volume, but if you look at the vehicles capable of the V3 speeds, and their longer than average ranges, these locations are perfectly spaced to do Syd-Melb or Syd-Bris with 2 short stops, and the fact that they are between existing sites means they are good backups for any of the others should they be busy or unavailable for any reason.

The spanner in the works, as others have mentioned, is the rollout of Evie/Chargefox 350 kW sites. If they are building these, and for all intents and purposes they are as good as a supercharger, why should Tesla build superchargers in the same area?

That's my brain dump, time for bed!

it's only ever the CBD stations that have reasonable usage
Narooma SC is a good example of this. Plugshare has 8 checkins so far this year. Assuming 10% of those who use this site log it with Plugshare that is 80 uses. Also assuming $25 per use and you have $2000. Less if Plugshare is a more accurate indicator of use here.
Financially would this level of use justify the sight fees, power connection costs, maintenance etc that they would be paying?
Narooma is handy for the Canberra - Narooma - Cooma loop but for those heading further south it is a dead end except for the single point of failure charger at Bega.

Reactions: Pete Gorton
My personal pics for Vic.

Lorne: I know we might get Geelong and Colac but having a few in Lorne sure would reduce range anxiety for SR+ owners.
Hamilton: Can be smaller site but fills out the bottom corner of Vic
Sheparton:
Echuca:
Swan Hill:
Mildura:

If they get these done Vic would have very good coverage. I know Chargefox and Evie are also filling gaps but would be
nice to have a few options

A logical strategy is for Tesla to treat regional networks like NRMA as pathfinders to gauge demand.

Watch for whichever of their sites are overwhelmed, and then overbuild a Supercharger in its general area. Mittagong for example. NRMA's is a single point of failure (and it's currently offline due to vandalism). If Tesla overbuilt, perhaps at the Sutton Forest (Sally's Corner) service centre, or the Pheasants Nest service centre (I really love the one-lane underpass between the twin servos there!), then Tesla drivers would have an option that everyone else won't, and can take road trips with less anxiety. If you don't mind long detours into towns, you could still use the freebie if you want. A Supercharger is better sited on the highway, but the freebie should be in town, where local goodwill pays for a charger to encourage us off the highway and hopefully open our wallets in town.

Reactions: pts260 and Chuq
Narooma SC is a good example of this.

Narooma suffers from being at the edge of the network. So at the moment it'll be catching people wanting to drive down the Princes Hwy to destinations within a single charge further south, but nothing further. Your guess of about 10% checking in to Plugshare seems about right or perhaps a even a bit high (so about 1 charge a day) - I was there twice since the start of the year for about half an hour and saw another car there charging once (& not checked in). I think the rate of Plugshare checkins is a fair bit lower for Superchargers than for other fast charger sites.

Once there's a charger at say Eden it'll capture more through-traffic - then once there's one at Cann RIver (along with the other already-scheduled sites) it'll be part of the Sydney to Melbourne coastal route.

I just want to see more chargers in QLD. The QESH just doesn't cut it if you're going the length of the Bruce Highway. Or even a return day trip to once of the regional centres like Townsville to Cairns.
Yeah rolling up the Bruce Highway towards Rocky, plus one halfway between Cairns and Townsville (eg Tully or Cardwell) seem like no-brainers for the next few years of Queensland rollout, hardly seems worth pointing out!

Narooma SC is a good example of this. Plugshare has 8 checkins so far this year. Assuming 10% of those who use this site log it with Plugshare that is 80 uses. Also assuming $25 per use and you have $2000. Less if Plugshare is a more accurate indicator of use here.
Financially would this level of use justify the sight fees, power connection costs, maintenance etc that they would be paying?
Narooma is handy for the Canberra - Narooma - Cooma loop but for those heading further south it is a dead end except for the single point of failure charger at Bega.

If I use the SC, should I be logging it with Plugshare? I didn't know that was a thing, but happy to make it a thing. I haven't used a non-Tesla charger yet - and for the other chargers I suspect it would be (more) helpful to log the experience. Because we get semi-live information (except maybe faults) at the SCs, I hadn't given Plughshare a 2nd thought when I am at any SC.
On the economics, I heard it costs Tesla about $250k per charger, so they would be quite circumspect. I like the "Tesla Only" aspect of the SCs, but I don't think the company is going to spoil us if there's a free NRMA or any 50kW+ option readily available - and the traffic usage looks grim.

I like the "Tesla Only" aspect of the SCs, but I don't think the company is going to spoil us if there's a free NRMA or any 50kW+ option readily available - and the traffic usage looks grim.
The single-charger NRMA sites are fine for what they are, but you wouldn't be happy if you were relying on them. For example Mittagong is down again (vandalism apparently this time? Tell us more, @QBN_PC !) and going by past experience might not be back for weeks.

The single-charger NRMA sites are fine for what they are, but you wouldn't be happy if you were relying on them. For example Mittagong is down again (vandalism apparently this time? Tell us more, @QBN_PC !) and going by past experience might not be back for weeks.
I don’t have a clue. I’m currently at Goulburn headed for Wollongong. I used to detour and top up at Mittagong on the way, but I haven’t been there in weeks. It’s too busy, I finally got a CCS1 to CCS2 adapter for Fairy Meadow, and Shell Cove is back working again.