Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Legitimate locations for superchargers in 2022/23

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Voting has opened for Tesla superchargers.

It's a small list in Australia and they will repeat every three months. You get to vote for 5 sites Also a free form at the end where you can nominate specific locations.

Australian sites up for vote (8 - so you can vote for 5 of them)

New South Wales
Penrith (Western Sydney)
Braidwood (East of Canberra)
Orange
Canowindra

Queensland
Brisbane (generic)
Tully (north of Townsville)

South Australia
Cooper Peedy

Western Australia
Southern Cross

Queensland
Tully (north of Townsville)

South Australia
Cooper Peedy

Western Australia
Southern Cross
I of course voted for all the really remote places that facilitate long distance travel. The assorted sites in NSW were interesting, I could not really figure out what routes they would open up to be honest? I mean Canberra to Batemans bay is only 148km so what would it do? Berry to Narooma via Braidwood is only 278km as well, so anyone wanting to take a mountain route between those two existing chargers could do so.

Same logic applies to some of the other chargers as well.

Maybe I just feel that so many really major routes have not been completed (Looking at you, Princes Highway Victoria) that these fill ins are hard to choose between. Does anyone else feel this way?

I mean Canberra to Batemans bay is only 148km so what would it do?
Narooma Supercharger to Canberra Supercharger is a bit of a stretch for an original SR+, it's quite a vertical climb. Batemans Bay would be better than Braidwood though I think, because it services north-south traffic on the Princes Hwy in addition to Kings Hwy traffic, and would also be useful for those staying on the coast without charging at their accommodation.

The assorted sites in NSW were interesting, I could not really figure out what routes they would open up to be honest?
The Canowindra one is the most useful - it fills in between Dubbo and Canberra/Gundagai/Goulburn - although again I would suggest Cowra is a much better site, as it on the Olympic Hwy as well as the Lachlan Valley Way, so is also on the route between Wagga and Bathurst, and isn't a detour for those going towards Parkes from the southeast.

It accepted Stuart Highway Katherine NT. Had to pick a town. Have to start somewhere, after my query to the NT Gov about support for charging infrastructure along the Highway, responded "the provision of fast charging infrastructure is not yet commercially viable."

I dont see any point in a supercharger in Newcastle either. Heatherbrae is just a couple of minutes up the road, and the Tuggerah SC is just an hour in the other direction. Then of course there are the NRMA and Chargefox chargers in Newcastle suburbs as well as a myriad of destination chargers.
I'm advised that Heatherbrae is too far
on the principle that larger population centres should have more chargers, Newcastle seems obvious

I'm advised that Heatherbrae is too far
on the principle that larger population centres should have more chargers, Newcastle seems obvious
Add to that the poor reliability of the NRMA/ChargeFox chargers - all the fast(ish) charging is out of order in Newcastle at the moment. 1 or 2 of the 3 it have been out at various stages for some time. The fastest public charging you will get locally is the 11/22kW AC charging. Tuggerah is well off the highway and Heatherbrae is OK for heading north, but the next Supercharger after either heading up The Valley is Jerry‘s Plains and that might be a stretch for a SR+ in poor weather.

Agreed Newcastle needs a mall based charger for locals.
Particularly with the unreliability of the other DC chargers in town.

The list was a bit strange. I suspect it just represents the next level of planned chargers with Orange/Canowindra being options.

Was surprised not to see Sydney East or Central on the list

Agreed Newcastle needs a mall based charger for locals.

Newcastle is owned by Sentre group (Kotara) and GPT group (Charlestown). You will need their cooperation to get suitable charging into Newcastle. Stockland properties Glendale and Jesmond could use more chargers. Destination chargers would probably do well at Warners Bay. the Ampol charger going into Cameron Park is probably enough DC fast charging for people passing by Newcastle proper in the meantime. For day trips to Newcastle and Lake Macquarie, chargers at Ampol M1 Wyong are a must.

Reactions: Hairyman and Vostok
It accepted Stuart Highway Katherine NT. Had to pick a town. Have to start somewhere, after my query to the NT Gov about support for charging infrastructure along the Highway, responded "the provision of fast charging infrastructure is not yet commercially viable."
That is a poor response from the NT government. I think your reply should be “If I can never never go, how can I ever ever know?”

The Canowindra one is the most useful - it fills in between Dubbo and Canberra/Gundagai/Goulburn - although again I would suggest Cowra is a much better site, as it on the Olympic Hwy as well as the Lachlan Valley Way, so is also on the route between Wagga and Bathurst, and isn't a detour for those going towards Parkes from the southeast.

I agree. I drove through Cowra last weekend and someone had just arrived at the single stall NRMA charger there. It wasn’t really a problem for me (I would have plugged in for 10 minutes just to get the Plugshare Passport Stamp 😄) and I kept going, but a single stall DCFC at a place like that is really under-indexing. Canowindra would also be good.

Heatherbrae is too far away to be considered a Newcastle Supercharger. As Australia's 6th biggest city, it should have at least 2 locations, I suggested Newcastle city and Charlestown.

Add to that the poor reliability of the NRMA/ChargeFox chargers - all the fast(ish) charging is out of order in Newcastle at the moment. 1 or 2 of the 3 it have been out at various stages for some time. The fastest public charging you will get locally is the 11/22kW AC charging. Tuggerah is well off the highway and Heatherbrae is OK for heading north, but the next Supercharger after either heading up The Valley is Jerry‘s Plains and that might be a stretch for a SR+ in poor weather.

Exactly. No 2 sportsground (50kw, Chargefox, Newcastle City Council) has been out of action for over 6 months. The two NRMA chargers at Wallsend are both out of action (1 for over a month, the other coming on 2 weeks). Cameron Park EVIE has no ETA that I'm aware of. Been sitting there 3/4 done and hasn't been touched for a couple of months. The Supercharger at Heatherbrae is way too far out of town.

There is a 40kw at Toronto (32kw with battery heating), convenient for me but not most of Newcastle. Although power is split 20kw/20kw if two users. Or 12/12 if they're Teslas (battery heating).

My suggestions for another Supercharger would be Pacific Highway, Charlestown (maybe where that servo & chicken place is), Glendale (crossroads car yard or in Stockland), Wallsend (Coles Express), or Jesmond.

Reactions: Vostok