Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Legitimate locations for superchargers in 2022/23

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
For example Mittagong is down again (vandalism apparently this time? Tell us more, @QBN_PC !)
I called in there yesterday (hoping for a top-up charge). I didn’t pull the connector out of the charger to look at it but the charger looked ok/undamaged, apart from it was showing “Err 30” on its screen.

C9E718DA-8BA5-4B5E-8CB9-0C407159F449.jpeg

Cowra NSW would be my top pick for a candidate Supercharger site.

It's the crossing point of the Lachlan Valley Way/Canowindra Rd and the Olympic Highway, both of which are major routes. It would help connect up the inland routes to Brisbane/Gold Coast/Sunshine Coast from Melbourne and Canberra.

Distances from surrounding Superchargers:

210km from Dubbo
193km from Canberra
164km from Gundagai
207km from Goulburn
108km from Bathurst
Another vote for Cowra NSW from me. There is an NRMA charger in an awkward spot of the Library Car Park in Cowra And there is no food anywhere nearby on a Saturday afternoon. It would be nice to have the Supercharger in the car park of the Cowra Japanese Garden which has a nice cafe and is open on weekends.

Reactions: Chuq and pts260
A logical strategy is for Tesla to treat regional networks like NRMA as pathfinders to gauge demand.

Watch for whichever of their sites are overwhelmed, and then overbuild a Supercharger in its general area. Mittagong for example. NRMA's is a single point of failure (and it's currently offline due to vandalism). If Tesla overbuilt, perhaps at the Sutton Forest (Sally's Corner) service centre, or the Pheasants Nest service centre (I really love the one-lane underpass between the twin servos there!), then Tesla drivers would have an option that everyone else won't, and can take road trips with less anxiety. If you don't mind long detours into towns, you could still use the freebie if you want. A Supercharger is better sited on the highway, but the freebie should be in town, where local goodwill pays for a charger to encourage us off the highway and hopefully open our wallets in town.
I stop at Pheasants Nest regularly as a break on my trip to the Southern Highland. I buy a drink and almost every time I go to pay for it the cashier asks “Any Fuel”, “not until you put in Electric Vehicle chargers“ I reply.
it used to get a positive reaction but since it recently changed hands they seem quite disinterested.

I dont see any point in a supercharger in Newcastle either. Heatherbrae is just a couple of minutes up the road, and the Tuggerah SC is just an hour in the other direction. Then of course there are the NRMA and Chargefox chargers in Newcastle suburbs as well as a myriad of destination chargers.

I dont see any point in a supercharger in Newcastle either. Heatherbrae is just a couple of minutes up the road, and the Tuggerah SC is just an hour in the other direction. Then of course there are the NRMA and Chargefox chargers in Newcastle suburbs as well as a myriad of destination chargers.
It’s a fair distance from Tuggerah SC to NRMA Scone.

Cameron Park would make sense. Kurri Kurri or Branxton or less so, but any of the above would give AA members and other non-drinkers a far more considerate option than Jerry’s Plains.

Another vote for Cowra NSW from me. There is an NRMA charger in an awkward spot of the Library Car Park in Cowra And there is no food anywhere nearby on a Saturday afternoon.
Umm, the NRMA charger at Cowra isabout a hundred metres from dirty bird. Maybe 200 metres on foot though, as you have to detour around the library.

The Chinese place opposite KFC is closer, but yes, it only opens lunchtime and dinnertime.

The only 24 hour services in Cowra are across the river. The Visitors Information Centre (ahem, Maccas) would be ideal.

There's always the NRMA charger at Pokolbin. Lots of restaurants and other entertainment there.
Been there twice. All I saw were dumpsters.

There wasn’t any welcoming signage such as an info bay in that car park. With such a non-descript business name like Hunter Valley Gardens (which I have no reason to be familiar with), I’d need to venture further afield to scout out what might be around even if I ever became a daytime driver. Given it was pre-dawn both times, and probably would be on most visits, why even bother? I didn’t see any evidence of fast food, or an all night choke n puke, nor even a servo with a pie warmer. So yay, nap time. And like the other times, if I end up there again, there’s little need to set an alarm, given there’s a 2nd stall there.

But now that Tuggerah is in range of Scone, even in my SR+ (admittedly it’s almost a stretch), and as the chargers at Pokolbin and Jerry’s Plains are way off the beaten track (even more so than Tuggerah), I plan to skip both next month when I’m next headed to Moree. Sure, it’s also not near food pre-dawn and its Maccas requires a minor backtrack, and isn’t open til 5am, at least the 24 hour one at Muswellbrook is on the way.

Heatherbrae is 6 mins up the road from Hexham, but Hexham isn’t Newcastle. Heatherbrae is 29 minutes from Newcastle CBD.

But Sydney has 2 (and at 2 more scheduled for 2021 in Woollahra and Homebush).
And they are probably some of the busiest chargers in the network, probably more used by those who can't charge at home than those driving through (although Macquarie probably has some dual use)
Based on nothing but occasional sampling, I reckon Broadway would be Australia’s most heavily used Supercharger. It serves a high density population area (Eastern Suburbs and Inner West) where off-street parking is the exception not the rule, and a high density of Teslas.

When I checked this morning, only 1 of the 8 superchargers there was free.

Reactions: moa999
Heatherbrae isn't convenient to the Hunter Bypass/New England Highway. Neither is Jerry's Plains, for that matter. Nor is Tuggerah convenient to the F3.
This.

I probably wouldn’t use a supercharger in Newcastle city area, since I can (and have on a number of occasions) done a return trip from Sydney without charging there, but it’s not about me. People with SR Model 3 would be a bit more nervous doing that. And other people doing trips there from other places would have a need that I don’t.

A city of nearly half a million people and no supercharger seems... wrong. Implying it’s OK for people in Newcastle city to have a 1-hour (or longer, if they live in the southern suburbs) return trip to charge at Heatherbrae is ridiculous. Two 50kW chargers at Wallsend (thanks NRMA) and one at the Showgrounds help but don‘t really cut it in a city that size. The Wallsend chargers get a heck of a lot of use - look at the Checkins on Plugshare!

And the location of the Heatherbrae SC is pretty rubbish anyway. 1 km up the road at the service area / food stop would have been much better. I now prefer to use Chargefox Karuah.