Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Legroom in the back seat??

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

jburts

Aug 27, 2010
I've been looking at some of the videos of the Model S, and have started to be concerned about the amount of legroom that there will be for passengers in the back seat. The video that has me the most concerned is: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T_9JUvb7eYU (at about 30 seconds into the video, it shows a shot of the back seat, and it looks really tight back there).

I know that Tesla hasn't announced specs (so we don't have any official answers to go by), and the prototypes aren't built on the chassis that the Model S will be, but that back seat really doesn't look like adults could be comfortable in there. Does anyone have any information about whether my concerns are well grounded or not??

I wouldn't worry about it. Here's why:

1) Both seats (driver and passenger) look like they're just about all the way back.
2) The passenger's seat is obviously significantly reclined.
3) Tesla has stated that the interior will be significantly different from the prototype.
4) The prototype has Roadster batteries in the back (just behind the rear seats). In the real car, batteries will be flat, below the floorboards. Not sure, but this may affect the amount of available space.
5) I believe Tesla has stated this will be on the larger end of sedans in its class. If you can fit a mountain bike (with wheels on), 50" TV, and a surfboard in the car at the same time (as Tesla claims), then I think you'll have room for your legs. :)

At the LA debut of the car they specifically said there would be more room in the back seat. I believe the number was 2 inches. Remember, the S prototype is a hacked Mercedes so they had the limitations of that chassis.