Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Leilani Munter thought

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Care to elaborate on "front curb sensors" and future retrofits?

Not all from GeorgeB or Jerome, but what I learned while at TESLIVE:

European cars have a different wiring harness than NA cars
All Sigs (and a number of other US cars) should technically be able to be retrofitted for parking sensors; HOWEVER:
Currently only a machine in Fremont is able to do what they want with the bumper and that a retrofit is "likely to be more expensive than you expect"

The message I took away is existing cars should probably go aftermarket like the mods Al & Ed did (like the cars that were on display).

To bring this thread back on topic, while I haven't seen the video yet, being in that room in person, I would like to echo the other sentiments here that Leilani Munter's speech was extremely moving in person and one of the highlights of TESLIVE 2013. She was also very nice in person and participated in most events (sessions, walking around the exhibits, hanging at the bar after the event, taking photos with folks, etc.) Definitely the kind of person Tesla would want on their side as an advocate.

Care to elaborate on "front curb sensors" and future retrofits?

Sure. A number of us asked George if retrofits like parking sensors are in the works for those of us who already own the car. On the basis of his reply I concluded that retrofit parking sensors are not going to happen. Basically he said that the cost of equipping the Service Centers (a very expensive sonic drill is necessary) and training the staff for such an upgrade makes it impractical.

So as others have said, if you want parking sensors, go aftermarket and don't wait for Tesla to offer it as an upgrade. It's very unlikely to happen anytime soon.

Leilani's speech was very moving. She's such a fantastic voice for Tesla, she just gets it. And, she really understands automotive performance which gives some serious cred. Amazing job Leilani! And, congrats on your new Model S purchase...

She only read from a note when quoting a poem. I'm pretty sure she's given the speech before, or a variation of it at least, but it was delivered earnestly and from what I saw people at the conference were pretty moved by it.
We were, Doug.
When she read it, I looked around the room, and I noticed people near me welling up a bit.
I think Leilani will make a great ambassador. Not only does she have "the looks", but to me a sense of humour, personality and purpose are more important. She seems to have all four.
I spent, as did most of us, a good time at the hotel bar and factory party with she and her husband on and off; and forgot to ask if her last name is his, or, irrespective, her origins? German? The umlaut?
So despite it sounding a tad scripted, it was powerful and right on topic.
What we're collectively doing is very powerful, we're changing the planet for our grandchildren's children; by then, hopefully, gas guzzlers and diesel trucks will have been relegated to museums.

...I would like to echo the other sentiments here that Leilani Munter's speech was extremely moving in person and one of the highlights of TESLIVE 2013. She was also very nice in person and participated in most events (sessions, walking around the exhibits, hanging at the bar after the event, taking photos with folks, etc.) Definitely the kind of person Tesla would want on their side as an advocate.

If TMC and/or TesLive were to ever consider having an honorary spokesperson (or whatever you wish to call it), in addition to all the TMC creators and moderators (who are awesome), and Elon himself of course, might I suggest Leilani be considered? There may come a time when TMC and TesLive have to "speak to the press as a single unit" and sometimes it helps to have someone famous and comfortable with the press and media.

It worked for me when I set up itSMF Spain (boring IT thing - don't ask!).

Just a suggestion :)

Leilani probably wouldn't be interested anyway... but it doesn't hurt to talk about it.

All -

I too was very emotionally moved by Leilani's speech - and I told her so later that afternoon. Certainly one of the top high points of the weekend for me....

I think she is definitely turning out to be our celebrity ambassador/spokesperson for Tesla and wouldn't be surprised if she was interested to volunteer in that capacity for us as well!

Aaron

If TMC and/or TesLive were to ever consider having an honorary spokesperson (or whatever you wish to call it), in addition to all the TMC creators and moderators (who are awesome), and Elon himself of course, might I suggest Leilani be considered? There may come a time when TMC and TesLive have to "speak to the press as a single unit" and sometimes it helps to have someone famous and comfortable with the press and media.

It worked for me when I set up itSMF Spain (boring IT thing - don't ask!).

Just a suggestion :)

Leilani probably wouldn't be interested anyway... but it doesn't hurt to talk about it.

Good idea. Agree 100%.

I have been in an area with very bad internet connection so I am just now getting to browse the forum and see all the feedback and photos from TESLIVE. Thank you for the kind comments everyone. Regarding my reading from my notes - I also wish I could have delivered the speech without any notes, but I would have likely forgotten much of what I wanted to say. I had an absolutely fantastic time at TESLIVE, thank you so much to all those present, it was great to meet all of you, and of course thank you so much the organizers for inviting me to speak, it was an honor!
TeslaSmiley.jpg

Last edited:
Do not apologize for having to refer to 'lecture notes'. Public speaking is a lot harder than it looks...
Good luck on the track and in your quest for a better planet. Look forward to seeing you @ Teslive 2014.
Agreed. When speeches have emotional sections, reading also helps focus where looking into faces can sometimes detour you quickly.

It was a prepared speech and IMO riding the thin line of self promotion.

I don't know whether "self promotion" is quite a valid criticism for someone who is specifically building and using a celebrity status in order to get a message across?

Leilani demands having a voice, and when she uses it she promotes a cause we all believe in. Her celebrity status (even if some of it was gained with self promotion), allows her now to get the message across 10'000 times louder than you or I could ever do. I'm not sure the Tesla WhiteHouse petition would have passed without her significant tweeting, blogging and in-person activism on the subject - she has a twitter following that's almost the entire margin on which the petition passed. And she speaks to a VERY different audience than the typical EV promoter.

I for one felt incredibly inspired by her speech - and as someone whose prior experience with Nascar up to this point was having watched 'Days of Thunder' before it became unpopular to admit to it, I have actually learned quite a lot. In fact, I would say I learned more from Leilani that day than from Elon. (Not that I don't hang onto Elon's every word, but Elon mostly repeated the same stuff, where everything Leilani said was new to me).

Regarding my reading from my notes - I also wish I could have delivered the speech without any notes, but I would have likely forgotten much of what I wanted to say. I had an absolutely fantastic time at TESLIVE, thank you so much to all those present, it was great to meet all of you, and of course thank you so much the organizers for inviting me to speak, it was an honor!

We were glad to have you! Thanks for coming!

I didn't use notes, and I did forget about half of what I wanted to say. Though, what I had to say probably didn't matter that much. =)