Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Leilani Munter thought

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
To be completely honest, I was worried about the self-promotion aspect of this before you showed up, Leilani. (Because, let's face it -- to do what you do, you have to be pretty darn good at self-promotion.)

And then I met you and Craig & found you both to be genuine and impassioned people. Your speech was great. If people have never stood on a podium, they may not be aware of how easy it is to forget something in the moment. You had an important message you wanted to get out. I appreciated your contributions to TESLIVE and hope to have you back again.

I was only only able to see Leilani's speech via Doug's livestream on his blog after the fact, and it was so powerfully moving that I will be sure to attend Teslive 2014, in hopes of equally powerful speakers (with big hopes of a repeat performance by Leilani, with a "My first year with my Model S" themed speech). Given that I will be able to drive my OUTAGAS Model S to next year's event from PA, I have no excuses to not attend!

It was a prepared speech and IMO riding the thin line of self promotion.

I can't imagine most people would want to speak in front of 300 people without something prepared. I thought it was so well organized, interesting and engaging to listen to. I also enjoyed the video shown before. It didn't come across to me as self promotion, she talked about what she's passionate about.

To be completely honest, I was worried about the self-promotion aspect of this before you showed up, Leilani. (Because, let's face it -- to do what you do, you have to be pretty darn good at self-promotion.)

And then I met you and Craig & found you both to be genuine and impassioned people. Your speech was great. If people have never stood on a podium, they may not be aware of how easy it is to forget something in the moment. You had an important message you wanted to get out. I appreciated your contributions to TESLIVE and hope to have you back again.

Thanks Bonnie, I was very honored to be a part of this event (especially being that when I arrived, I wasn't a Tesla owner yet!) and feel like I have made a lot of new friends! So far I have received nothing but a warm welcome from everyone into this community (I guess now I have to say: with the exception of Bob Fitzgerald).

As a female racer, you develop a very thick skin early on in order to be able to keep going. Many quit. You are the brunt of a lot of jokes. At first, it really hurts. Especially when you see people that don't even know you talking bad about you on the internet. Many people smile to your face and then when you walk away, they makes jokes at your expense. Later on in my career, when I had the chance to connect with other female drivers, it helped me realize that a lot of the negativity isn't about myself personally, but more about people not liking the idea of a woman on the track. Some people don't like strong women. It helped me not take it so personally when I heard that the same things were happening to them. By now (I've been at this for quite some time) anything negative sent my way just bounces off of me and heads back to the person sending the negativity. It's the only way to survive in my game.

It was a real pleasure to meet all of you and I am proud to be part of the Tesla family. Thanks to those of you who welcomed me to the club before I was "official." :) Now I will be counting down the days until she arrives...

ok i get it - next time i am asked to give a speech, i will be sure not to prepare. thanks for the tip, bob.

I thought your speech was fabulous. I've never given a talk or a lecture with out notes or slides. Very, very, VERY few people can go and give a compelling speech without any preparations. Even the Gettysburg address was written on notes (on the train ride there actually). Today's politicians use teleprompters.

Last edited:
I thought your speech was fabulous. I've never given a talk or a lecture with out notes or slides. Very, very, VERY few people can go and give a compelling speech without any preparations. Even the Gettysburg address was written on notes (on the train ride there actually). Today's politicians use teleprompters. I will personally fight anyone who gives you any more crap about this.
No need to threaten to fight people. It's a forum. Plus c'mon ... While I'm sure you meant well, do you see how it's a bit patronizing?

It was a prepared speech and IMO riding the thin line of self promotion.

Unless you're incredibly wealthy, you don't get to be a race car driver without doing a heck of a lot of self promotion. That's a simple reality. There are plenty of excellent drivers who never get the chance because they can't or won't do everything that is necessary.

Leilani isn't building a public profile for ego gratification - it's part of her job. To her great credit she is using that profile to try and influence people in a positive direction.

Regarding my reading from my notes - I also wish I could have delivered the speech without any notes, but I would have likely forgotten much of what I wanted to say.

You did a great job.

It's easy to criticize when you've never done it. Most people turn to jelly when they get on a stage in front of people. It took me years to get comfortable at public speaking. (For that matter Elon was pretty awkward a few years ago; he's gotten a LOT better lately, no doubt due to lots of practice.)

There's absolutely nothing wrong with referring to notes during a presentation. Most people you see talking on television are using a teleprompter.

I had an absolutely fantastic time at TESLIVE, thank you so much to all those present, it was great to meet all of you, and of course thank you so much the organizers for inviting me to speak, it was an honor!

We all really enjoyed meeting you, and your presentation was one of the highlights of TESLIVE.

I was wondering about leather replacements. Are they making you a cool "pleather" or are you going for the cloth seats? What about the dash interior? Are their photos anywhere of carbon fiber interior?

Silver P85+ with dark wheels, panoramic roof and all the other good stuff, carbon fiber spoiler, carbon fiber interior, and one of my favorite features: non leather seats and steering wheel. No dead cows in my Model S! :smile:

Leilani--what I want to see is the special Model S you referred to in the upcoming movie you mentioned @ Teslive. As you are allowed to, please do post here with any info/updates.

I wish I could but unfortunately the car is top secret until the movie comes out next year. The director isn't letting very many people know, so outside of Elon and a couple others, most everyone at Tesla doesn't even know what is happening. I can say with confidence you will love it and that it will be the coolest car I ever drive! Cooler even than my race cars because while there are plenty of NASCAR and IndyCars, there will only be ONE IN THE WORLD of this very special Tesla. I can't wait for you all to see it!

- - - Updated - - -

That will be an utterly gorgeous combination, though I am surprised you didn't go for Dolphin Grey!

I was going to go for the Dolphin Grey, but then when I was lobbying North Carolina legislators Tesla sent a car out for us to take them for rides and let them drive. When it pulled up to our hotel, it looked so incredible that I changed my mind on the spot.

- - - Updated - - -

I was wondering about leather replacements. Are they making you a cool "pleather" or are you going for the cloth seats? What about the dash interior? Are their photos anywhere of carbon fiber interior?

It will come with the cloth textile seats that are an option for the base Model S (but not the Performance yet) and the carbon fiber interior is an option on Model S Performance: http://www.teslamotors.com/models/design

My steering wheel will be "pleather" -- I will definitely post pics when she arrives! :)

Last edited: