Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Lemon Law for Faulty Turn Signal Stock?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I’m writing this post in hopes of gettings some thoughts and opinions on my situation. Also, to possibly hear of other owners that have gone through similar situations with Tesla.

I got my Model 3 SR+ in August 2019. After a few months of ownership, I started having issues with the turn signal stock, where about 1 in 10 “half-presses” or single-stop click of the left turn signal wouldn’t activate.

The issue has been confirmed by mobile technicians on two occasions already, and they subsequently replaced the entire turn signal stock each time. The issue always returns after a replacement, and I have now just taken the car in a 3rd time to get it checked out.

California has a 3-strike lemon law, where if a manufacturer is unable to “repair a defect that substantially impairs the safety, use, or value of the vehicle,” then the car is considered a lemon.

While the issue may seem minor at face value, it has caused a number or close calls on the highway, where I click the stock to signal left out of my lane, but the car doesn’t register it, so oncoming cars in the adjacent left lane are caught by surprise when I merge into their lane.

Alternatively, there are times where I signal and merge out more slowly, and the car’s Lane Departure Assist feature kicks in and shoves me back into the lane. At highway speeds, this has certainly caused some scares. You could argue that “why don’t you just turn off that function;”well I bought the car partly for all of its safety features, and I am certainly not going to opt out of one because Tesla is unable to properly repair my car.

With regards to the Lemon Law, I would certainly argue that this defect has affected the “safety and use” of the car. “Value” might be harder to argue, but I certainly think this warrants a Lemon Law discussion, assuming the issue persists after today’s “repair.”

Ugh!

Let's try with the correct word first: "STALK."

noun
the stem or main axis of a plant.
any slender supporting or connecting part of a plant, as the petiole of a leaf, the peduncle of a flower, or the funicle of an ovule.
a similar structural part of an animal.
a stem, shaft, or slender supporting part of anything.
Automotive. a slender lever, usually mounted on or near the steering wheel, that is used by the driver to control a signal or function:The horn button is on the turn-signal stalk.

Second, I would give Tesla another chance. If, after no success, then lemon law the car and get another one, but it's likely a hassle to use that process.

This should be an easy repair, but something isn't right, perhaps in the steering column wiring harness. The second or third tech should have noted that the "throw parts at it" solution wasn't hacking it!

Reactions: XLR82XS
Ugh!

Let's try with the correct word first: "STALK."

noun
the stem or main axis of a plant.
any slender supporting or connecting part of a plant, as the petiole of a leaf, the peduncle of a flower, or the funicle of an ovule.
a similar structural part of an animal.
a stem, shaft, or slender supporting part of anything.
Automotive. a slender lever, usually mounted on or near the steering wheel, that is used by the driver to control a signal or function:The horn button is on the turn-signal stalk.

Second, I would give Tesla another chance. If, after no success, then lemon law the car and get another one, but it's likely a hassle to use that process.

This should be an easy repair, but something isn't right, perhaps in the steering column wiring harness. The second or third tech should have noted that the "throw parts at it" solution wasn't hacking it!

Oof, appreciate the correction. Now I just feel dumb for not having realized sooner.

And yes, I suspect it has to do with something the the steering wheel column, and not the actual stalk itself. I did suggest to the service tech that this was the third time that I was coming in for it, and that the only thing we haven’t tried was replacing the entire column and all associated wires. They said they would look into it, but also suggested it may be a software issue (like are you kidding me? This issue has persisted for a whole year and through dozens of different firmwares).

@Rareribeye I can't comment as to the lemon laws; however, I have had that same issue - when making a lane change to the left, the left half-press often does not do anything. I want to say it's a software issue... but I'm no expert.

When I first got my car (2019 Model 3 LR), they made me bring it in to fix a camera calibration issue... but really, all it took was a software update.

I would be more assertive with them maybe, like perhaps they need to look at a wiring harness issue or something else other than the part they’ve been replacing? If it repros for them at the SC that should help.

If that doesn’t work, maybe try a different SC?

My guess would be that the lemon claim is not gonna fly, but defer to people who’ve actually done one for something like this.

The stalk was a problem in many earlier 3's, including ours. It was kind of like something in the turn signal switch mechanism had rotated, so one direction it didn't work and the other direction always latched on when you just wanted three blinks. Replacing the stalk fixed the problem. I haven't heard of any problems after about Q1 2019. So I would have expected the stalk replacement to fix your problem.

Here's one guy that said it took three replacements to get a working one:
Model 3: Turn Signals... ARGH!
I also saw one post saying the SC was going to replace the entire steering column for this problem.

I’m writing this post in hopes of gettings some thoughts and opinions on my situation. Also, to possibly hear of other owners that have gone through similar situations with Tesla.

I got my Model 3 SR+ in August 2019. After a few months of ownership, I started having issues with the turn signal stock, where about 1 in 10 “half-presses” or single-stop click of the left turn signal wouldn’t activate.

The issue has been confirmed by mobile technicians on two occasions already, and they subsequently replaced the entire turn signal stock each time. The issue always returns after a replacement, and I have now just taken the car in a 3rd time to get it checked out.

California has a 3-strike lemon law, where if a manufacturer is unable to “repair a defect that substantially impairs the safety, use, or value of the vehicle,” then the car is considered a lemon.

While the issue may seem minor at face value, it has caused a number or close calls on the highway, where I click the stock to signal left out of my lane, but the car doesn’t register it, so oncoming cars in the adjacent left lane are caught by surprise when I merge into their lane.

Alternatively, there are times where I signal and merge out more slowly, and the car’s Lane Departure Assist feature kicks in and shoves me back into the lane. At highway speeds, this has certainly caused some scares. You could argue that “why don’t you just turn off that function;”well I bought the car partly for all of its safety features, and I am certainly not going to opt out of one because Tesla is unable to properly repair my car.

With regards to the Lemon Law, I would certainly argue that this defect has affected the “safety and use” of the car. “Value” might be harder to argue, but I certainly think this warrants a Lemon Law discussion, assuming the issue persists after today’s “repair.”
Just out of curiosity, does the "full" click left turn function work correctly? If not, that would be more of a lemon law safety issue, in my mind.