Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Lemon Law Time?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yeah I am worried that they won't be able to solve the problem. The hard part is that it only occurs during the summer months it making it tough when driving 24,000 miles in one year, and next year on my current trend may exceed the warranty. So I need to get this solved this summer.

With all the great input. It seems perhaps the best course then if the problem persists is to hope that the I get the same quality of customer service from that as I discuss a goodwill buyback/trade-in with discount for a new Tesla, so they can take it back the Factory to see what happened and how to diagnose future potential issues.

For the record, in California the depreciation is deducted based on 120,000 "life" of the vehicle.

So if driven 30,000 miles, 25% of the original sales price, including taxes, title, and destination fees is deducted from the full price.

Of note, the number of miles driven used to calculate this is the FIRST instance the problem was reported to the dealer, not the mileage after multiple failed attempts to repair.

@Garlan Garner The auto dealer pays the Lemon Law fee to the state. In most cases, they pass it on in the Purchase Agreement as a line item, usually $3 per new car sold or leased. What is interesting, is that the Auto Dealers are actually not part of the Lemon Law case, when one is brought up. They bare no liability for faulty new cars. The Lemon Law is between the Consumer, the State Attorney General, an Arbitration Board and the Auto Manufacturer.

Who pays for the lemon law? The State? Insurance?

When I got the car I noticed the A/C cuts out and get the message that its being diverted to battery.

The hard part about this is that is a valid message, and it can occur without an issues with the system. It does that to divert energy to cooling the battery in the case of extreme heat. The people who have a Model X in the Arizona are well aware of that message as well.

But, on your car it seems to be doing it more often than typical.

What I would do in your position is I would message the Tesla service employee that hangs out on this forum, and see if he can't push the issue. At least to get some resolution as whether it's normal or abnormal.

I don't think you'll get much traction with the Lemon law. I think you'll get a better/quicker resolution if you continue to push Tesla.

I'm surprised Tesla didn't catch it themselves. A while back I had hands-free problems with my brand new Lexus, they changed out the entire nav and other parts but the problem persisted. On the third visit they gave me a brand new one - same model, same options, to drive around and told me it may take a bit longer. It took them a couple of weeks but they fixed it - it turned out to be a bent pin in one of the connectors. Afterwards a tech told me service flagged this as a possible lemon and they were willing to fly an engineer out of HQ to fix it. I wasn't even thinking lemon, they automatically caught it.

The hard part about this is that is a valid message, and it can occur without an issues with the system. It does that to divert energy to cooling the battery in the case of extreme heat. The people who have a Model X in the Arizona are well aware of that message as well.

But, on your car it seems to be doing it more often than typical.

What I would do in your position is I would message the Tesla service employee that hangs out on this forum, and see if he can't push the issue. At least to get some resolution as whether it's normal or abnormal.

I don't think you'll get much traction with the Lemon law. I think you'll get a better/quicker resolution if you continue to push Tesla.
Range Mode On, maybe?

@rxlawdude - That would be great if they referred it back to the first instance of when I first reported it, which was no more then 1000 miles after I bought the car last year. It occurred on a trip to California at night with my family. That is when the tech said "it was expected to do that in extreme heat". Range mode was the first place I looked at, it was off.

@whitex - I did not know this was an issue with the X, I need to hang out in other parts of the message boards..hahaha

@Wknapp0924 - While my car has been in the shop the few times, the loaner I got never did this issue. I even put the A/C at freezing temps and ran it during 114 degree weather. I also even tried to heat soak the loaner to see if I can replicate the issue and it did not happen.

@Max* I started to reach out via twitter to see If I can get some type of response from them and perhaps an alternate solution. With the problems that have plagued this car, that there is something more in store with me later on.

The nice thing is the daily updates from the techs daily. Yesterday though two called with conflicting stories. One said they couldn't see anything and that the car is running as designed. The 2nd tech said there was clearly something wrong, but it is not showing up in the system. I lightly hinted that I do hope that the issue is resolved, or we may need to explore other "options".

BTW at the place I work at, where two other fellow employees have Tesla's I have become the butt of the there jokes as I go through the loaner fleet here in phoenix and car in the shop once a month.

@rxlawdude - That would be great if they referred it back to the first instance of when I first reported it, which was no more then 1000 miles after I bought the car last year. It occurred on a trip to California at night with my family. That is when the tech said "it was expected to do that in extreme heat". Range mode was the first place I looked at, it was off.

@whitex - I did not know this was an issue with the X, I need to hang out in other parts of the message boards..hahaha

@Wknapp0924 - While my car has been in the shop the few times, the loaner I got never did this issue. I even put the A/C at freezing temps and ran it during 114 degree weather. I also even tried to heat soak the loaner to see if I can replicate the issue and it did not happen.

@Max* I started to reach out via twitter to see If I can get some type of response from them and perhaps an alternate solution. With the problems that have plagued this car, that there is something more in store with me later on.

The nice thing is the daily updates from the techs daily. Yesterday though two called with conflicting stories. One said they couldn't see anything and that the car is running as designed. The 2nd tech said there was clearly something wrong, but it is not showing up in the system. I lightly hinted that I do hope that the issue is resolved, or we may need to explore other "options".

BTW at the place I work at, where two other fellow employees have Tesla's I have become the butt of the there jokes as I go through the loaner fleet here in phoenix and car in the shop once a month.
I hope things take a turn for the better for ya.

Got the car back, 50 miles later...aaaaaaaaaaand its still happening. I reached out to a few lawyers to just discuss my options.

I hold no ill-will against Tesla or its service team as I love the car and would get another in a heartbeat.

Have you told the folks at the service center that you are considering lemon lawing it? If not, I suggest you do so, and give them one more chance to fix it before you pull that trigger. Be polite, but firm. Keep in mind that Tesla has been known to blacklist people that have taken legal action against them, which is why you want to be clear that you don't mean it personally - you just want your car fixed.

@Clomer Funny thing is that the service tech read this thread and brought it up in the last conversation. The team at the service are working really hard at trying to figure the issue out with my vehicle and applaud them on their efforts at doing so.

I understand that no company wants to be accused of having a poor product which they do not have, just a bad apple in a bushel and i'm sure they do account for some percentage of errors in the cars coming off the line.

I do agree that discussing and being open about it is the best way to go about handling it.

Starting the lemon law process is not pulling the trigger. It is just protecting a very expensive investment. I would let tesla know you are starting the process. I would guess neither side wants it to end up with lemon lawing the car, but at the end of the day you don't want to end up with a lemon. As stated above its nothing against Telsa, just protect yourself. I hope for both sides it ends up resolved.

Reactions: Zybd1201