Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Lemon Model X (FL)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi All, I definitely have a lemon X. Too late to opt-out of arbitration. But the office of state attorney has mentioned to me that during my negotiations with Tesla, I should be able to get a replacement vehicle for up to 105% of the original price or just get the repurchase amount minus the offset. The tesla lawyer is willing to repurchase but is not agreeing to replace the vehicle. He states that there is no vehicle available for replacement and is purposely being vague and will not provide much more information. My question is does Tesla have the option to not provide the replacement option if they agree that it is a lemon?

I wonder if by there is not a vehicle available for replacement is because the Model X is not in production as of now so there wouldn't be one to replace your X. If that is the case, can't imagine why he would need to be vague unless they think it would cause a negative reaction from you.

Naturally you probably wouldn't accept a used X to replace the new X.

Reactions: hcdavis3
Upvote 0
There are no new Model X cars available right now. Zero. Zip. Nada. It's probably six months out to get a new one, but we're talking about Tesla here and that's as fluid as the Pacific Ocean. Your options are therefore limited. Tesla is being vague because they cannot commit to giving you a replacement car; it's as simple as that.

• Helpful
Reactions: X-pilot
Upvote 0
Thanks for the responses. I guess I don't mind waiting 6 months for a new X if I get to keep a loaner vehicle until then. The problem is my mileage offset makes it very unfavourable for me to go through the repurchase option. I have over 60000 miles in 2 years. So I will get back around $56000. From what I know the resale value of a functioning version of my model is over $62000. So I don't even get the actual resale value. In addition, they said there is no model of any kind of Tesla available. So no option other than repurchase. I have paused the arbitration process for 3 months in order to come to a deal with Tesla. Just wondering if anyone was successful in getting a new vehicle.

Upvote 0
Our X wasn’t technically a lemon but had a lot of failures tied to just poor material quality. Got tired of messing with constant problems on top of poor customer service. After 2.5 years we just decided it was too big of an inconvenience and step backward in quality to justify when we paid nearly $98k. We traded it in on an Audi etron. It is a little smaller but it’s much nicer and was actually a fair amount less expensive. If I were in your shoes I’d give serious consideration to changing to a different brand. Granted there aren’t a lot of options yet for SUV.

Upvote 0
With the super high resale of model X right now, you will come out on top by selling out right If the defects are minor. As far as provding a loaner, that will end as soon as you pick up the buy out check since at that point the case is closed. If your trying to hang on to it till a replacement X is available, then the Tesla trade in value of the X will keep declining as your miles will go up. Not sure if Tesla will do that for you. Been thru the process and once the check is done, you go back to the website and put the order in for another , get in line, and wait.

Upvote 0
I did try to contact the lawyer and due to the high offset, they recommended it is better to not use them (strange but that was the response from a couple of lawyers). Everything in the car has been replaced HV batteries twice, backup camera, seals (multiple times), 12V battery a few times, Bluetooth, charging port. I have actually kept the car in pristine condition with clear coats, ceramic coating, tints, seat covers, and touchscreen cover. The car had an issue identified by Tesla on the day I picked it up. I have had a great experience with owning Mercedes and leaning towards just going back to that. But nothing beats the advanced autonomous driving of Tesla so will consider the replacement if they offer a fair deal. Their lawyer will provide me the details of the repurchase today minus the cost of everything I put in.

Upvote 0