Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Length and Amp rating of Type 2 Cable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
There are typically three Type2-Type2 cable types available for sale. The 22kW version is generally recommended as it can provide the highest speed in all cases for Tesla's - other cables have limitations by virtue of their smaller size.

22kW - 3phase 6mm² core cable, with a 32A resistor
7kW - Single phase 6mm², with a 32A resistor.
Generally limited to 7kW and possibly lower if the EVSE has lower Amps.
11/14kW - 3phase 2.5mm² cable with a 20A resistor. Limited to 5kW at single phase EVSEs.

Note the third type while often sold as 11kW is actually limited to 20A, as the standards only have values for 13A, 20A and 32A for the cable itself.
(See under Proximity Pilot).

And of course between brands there will be differences in sheathing and handles which can impact how easy a cable is to use.

Thanks for drawing attention to the fact that cables cannot resistor-signal 16 A = 11 kW, but only 20 A = 14 kW.

Still it makes no sense to me to use a 32 A = 22 kW cable in a Tesla that can only draw 16 A = 11 kW, because the cable would be thicker, heavier, and thus more difficult to handle.

If a cable cannot signal 16 A, then there must be something wrong with my story (above). I'll try to investigate. I'm curious about the story that some chargers over here in Europe do not accept a low-rated cable, even though the car does not actually draw a higher current.

Thanks for drawing attention to the fact that cables cannot resistor-signal 16 A = 11 kW, but only 20 A = 14 kW.
Suspect it's country dependent.
At least in Australia (and I believe the same in the UK) single phase supplies are fairly common.l, including in commercial settings.
Whereas I believe 3-phase is more common through Europe.

In my part of Sydney my main charger (at a gym carpark is single 32A) and of my local AC chargers about 1/3 are the same.

CAN I USE A 22V CABLE ON A 7V PUBLIC POD POINT CHARGER? I AM LOOKING TO PURCHASE A CSBLE AND NOT SURE WHICH ONE TO GO FOR
I THINK MANOJB IS IN ARTILLERY.

Yes a 22kW cable will work in a 7kW charger. The plugs and sockets are all the same form factor, the cable uses electronic means to tell the charger and car the maximum it's capable of. If you're getting a Type 2 cable, definitely get a 22kW one (despite what it says on the website, the one Tesla sells is 22kW capable).

Saw a Mercedes EQC charging at one of my locals..

Looked like a thin cable, so I went for a closer look - was Merc branded and only rated for 20A, and the car was only drawing 5kW on a single phase Type 2 unit.

EQC only has a 7kW onboard charger anyway so not missing much.

EVChargers build a Type 2 to Type 2 cable with a charge port button which apparently works just like the Tesla proprietary charge port button. The charge port button is only available on the 16A (3 phase 11kW) version
Most T2-T2 cables don't come with a charge port button

Does the charge port button make a difference? I suppose with the button, you don't need to open the charge door or stop charging via the app

Does the charge port button make a difference? I suppose with the button, you don't need to open the charge door or stop charging via the app
You don't need the app to open the charge port, just press lightly on the port itself and it will open.

Using the button to stop charging / unlatch is nice at home, but at public chargers you probably want to stop via their app so that they can stop billing you, and if the car is unlocked it will briefly unlatch the cable when charging stops.

• Informative
Reactions: Quickst
Makes it a bit easier..
I've worked out how to more easily to disconnect my Type 2 cable from non-Tesla EVSEs.

As I walk back to the car.
Open frunk (where I store the cable)
Unlock car (this is important)
Swipe my card to stop charge
At this point charging stops and the Tesla light on the car goes white - remove that end, then remove the EVSE end.

If you don't unlock the car, you have to open the app, and then manually unlock the cable.

Open frunk (where I store the cable)
with app

Unlock car (this is important)
Doesn't the vehicle automatically unlocks the car doors when you approach with the phone key?

If you don't unlock the car, you have to open the app, and then manually unlock the cable.
What do you mean by manually unlocking the cable?. How long does the charging plug unlatch for when the door is unlocked?

Last edited:
Correct with app.
From what I gather car senses the phone, but doesn't actually unlock until you use the door handle.
In the app, press the charge icon, then you get the ability to Unlock charge port.
Think it's only 5 seconds or so.

When starting a charge the charge flap also locks fairly quickly and by the time you've gotten the cables out of the frunk and closed it, it's likely locked. Opening the rear door will unlock the flap again (easier than having to get your phone out)