Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Length and Width of rear cargo area.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello Everyone,

I ordered an S a few weeks ago, and while I wait I've been reading non-stop the posts on this forum, and watching every video on YouTube I can find (Bjørn is my hero). Tesla camping/road-tripping are two of the thinks I'm most excited about.

So this brings me to asking; Would somebody mind putting the rear seats down, pushing the fronts seats all the way forward, and measuring the total available Length and Width of the rear cargo area?

I've searched for the numbers but the only one I can find is the total cubic feet, which isn't quite what I'm looking for.

--MMH

P.S.
I LOVE THIS FORUM! Thank you to everyone who has contributed here, the posts I have read over the past few months have put all my fears about range, reliability, comfort and many others to rest.

P.P.S
Is is normal to check teslamotors.com many times a day hoping for a status change? I feel like I've gone crazy.

P.P.S
Is is normal to check teslamotors.com many times a day hoping for a status change? I feel like I've gone crazy.

It is quite normal. You haven't gone crazy, yet. But you may in due time like I have. I still have over 3 weeks until I get mine and I've gone completely nuts. Maybe when I get mine I'll go back to normal, or not. It may get worse. Oh boy.

Hello Everyone,

I ordered an S a few weeks ago, and while I wait I've been reading non-stop the posts on this forum, and watching every video on YouTube I can find (Bjørn is my hero). Tesla camping/road-tripping are two of the thinks I'm most excited about.

So this brings me to asking; Would somebody mind putting the rear seats down, pushing the fronts seats all the way forward, and measuring the total available Length and Width of the rear cargo area?

I've searched for the numbers but the only one I can find is the total cubic feet, which isn't quite what I'm looking for.

--MMH

I bought a large piece of art a couple of weeks ago, so I know the width of the rear area will accommodate 41" between the wheel wells.
I just measured the rear seat of my car, and the floor between the wheels is 38.5" wide, but the framed art piece did lay flat (the side edges did push in a bit).

The length is a bit trickier to measure and convey.
The seat can be pulled very far forward, and you will have over 6'-11" length, but the last 17" is a moat (down to the rear-seat floor) between the top edge of the rear seat and the back of the front seat.
There also is the rear part of the center console that extends about 6" back from the distance of the back face of the front seat, so the area behind the seats is very long, with the console interrupting the space (like a small peninsula).
The console is covered with the wood veneer, so you might want to provide cover for it if you plan to try to use the entire width/length of the trunk.

Lastly, there is a height difference/offset of about 2 1/2" from the regular part of the trunk to the higher portion top/back of the folded-down rear seat.
So the entire floor is NOT exactly flat, put pretty close to flat.

If you plan to sleep in the rear of the car (I have, and I am 6'-3"), you can mitigate the height offset with some dense cardboard, and maybe an inflatable or foam pad.

To me the MS is a Swiss-army knife of cars:
I use it to haul all kinds of stuff: ladder, Wonderboard (3' x 5' sheets of cement board), rakes, shovels, tile, grout, lawnmowers (be sure to shock the wheels), edgers, bike with wheels, etc.

You haven't gone crazy, you are just planning ahead for some adventures... :biggrin:

If you plan to sleep in the rear of the car (I have, and I am 6'-3"), you can mitigate the height offset with some dense cardboard, and maybe an inflatable or foam pad.

That is the plan. Once I learned you can put the car into the unofficially name "camping" mode while running the heater all night, this is something I must try! Like you, I too am 6'-2" and my concern was wedging myself in the rear of the car somewhat comfortably.

That is the plan. Once I learned you can put the car into the unofficially name "camping" mode while running the heater all night, this is something I must try! Like you, I too am 6'-2" and my concern was wedging myself in the rear of the car somewhat comfortably.

My feet did hang off the far end just a bit, but it is not a problem.
I have tech package, so the button makes it easy to have the trunk lid close once you are inside.

If you have a tent, you can also go full-on camping.

dmetcalf is the innovator for the "Tentsla". Charge and cool to 70 during the night at the same time....
attachment.php?attachmentid=27228&d=1375334965.jpg

• Disagree
Reactions: Snerruc
My feet did hang off the far end just a bit, but it is not a problem.
I have tech package, so the button makes it easy to have the trunk lid close once you are inside.

If you have a tent, you can also go full-on camping.

dmetcalf is the innovator for the "Tentsla". Charge and cool to 70 during the night at the same time....
attachment.php?attachmentid=27228&d=1375334965.jpg

I am not a big fan of the outdoors (urban vacations for me), but that pic makes me want to go camping.

Hey all! I'm excited to be part of the forum. Just received my 2018 Model S a few weeks ago :)

Related to this thread, I am 6'3" and I just ordered the Dreamcase. I am so pumped for this bed!!! From everything I have read, it seems that I will have more than enough room to fit my 75" frame in the rear of the car... anyone disagree?