Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

length of Model X with trunk fully open?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It's true that the length of the vehicle is the same with the trunk fully closed vs. FULLY open. However WHILE the trunk is opening, due to the arc it takes the length of the car increases.

I know this because in my garage I have enough room to park the car with the trunk closed, and also have enough room to close the garage door while the trunk is fully open. However, if I try to open or close the trunk while the garage door is closed then the trunk door smashes into the garage door.

Also FULLY open is not always practical to achieve, particularly in a garage where the sensors detect low ceiling height and often open up to a reduced height.

If the poster wants to be able to freely open/close the trunk while the car is parked in the garage with the garage door closed the he will need to know the length of the car while the trunk is at the maximum part of it's arc. Unfortunately that's not an easy measurement to get!

I have a very small garage and am able to barely squeeze in my MX, I have about 8" clearence between my closed door and rear bumper. I had expected to not be able to open my trunk with the door closed but was pleasantly surprised that I am able to open up my trunk all the way! My old Volvo V60 I was able to just crack the trunk barely enough for a 3 yr old to squeeze through. I did get the liftmaster 8500 opener which is a must have for a small garage and an MX.

I measured with my MX. I was parked 15" from the garage door. At roughly its closest approach the hatch came to within almost 3" of the garage door. So you need at least 12" from the back of the bumper to your garage door in order to clear the hatch while it opens.
You're right. I just checked it out and I measured the rear hatch extending roughly 12.5" beyond the bumper at it's maximum.

Yes, I have yet to teach my wife about the extended length. Note to users with tight garages, add upto 17 inches beyond the rear of the car to best avoid an intersection with your garage door. My first tiny paint ding was opening the trunk w/ a closed garage door. It was my fault... so no complaints -- just a life lesson.

I have a very small garage and am able to barely squeeze in my MX, I have about 8" clearence between my closed door and rear bumper. I had expected to not be able to open my trunk with the door closed but was pleasantly surprised that I am able to open up my trunk all the way!

I don't think 8" is enough clearance. I have around 8" and my opening trunk smashes into the closed garage door. Other posters are reporting 12"+ is required, and that sounds more accurate.

Is this to avoid accidents or is there actual intent to access the trunk while the garage door is closed?

If the latter, wouldn't you need to account for "space for a person standing behind the car" to be able to get anything in or out of the trunk? I would think that's at least the 12" needed for the trunk to clear the door while opening.

Is this to avoid accidents or is there actual intent to access the trunk while the garage door is closed?

If the latter, wouldn't you need to account for "space for a person standing behind the car" to be able to get anything in or out of the trunk? I would think that's at least the 12" needed for the trunk to clear the door while opening.
Both. You need at least 12.5" to open the trunk, and if open high enough that same 12.5" is needed as functional space to get into the trunk. Please note, you can't stand in that 12.5" and open the trunk at the same time as you would get in the way.

How have you liked that opener? I've been considering that opener for my garage since its really small and also the chain track of the opener stops my falcon doors from opening.

I brought my X home the first day and parked in the garage, attempted to open the FWD's and nothing... I had to back back out to get the kids out. It was a bummer, researched the next day and had the doors opening with an 8500. They will open wide enough for the kids to get in without overriding, though I have to manually override them to get myself in to do the car seat buckles for the smallest kid. Best part is the main beam keeping the old stable from falling down hits right in front of the trunk, allowing me to fully open it.