Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Length of power outage during install

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I was ready to set up my appointment online for panels in IL. Total size is 7.82 kw with 23 panels. There was a disclosure on the site saying power may have to be turned off for up to 8 hours. What is the typical time you all had when doing an install and is that time relative to the size or count of panels? I can't imagine being without power for 8 hours during the week.

Thanks.

My install was for 24 panels and 2 PW. I got a generator from Home Depot as I had 3 children doing school from home over Zoom. The electricians got all the wires ready to go, and the power was out for about 1 to 2 hours. I had a whole house backup, and therefore they had to move all the circuits to the backup panel that they installed.

It’s going to come down to how much needs to be wired and moved in panels I think. Tesla's automated email message I think everyone gets prior to coming out says 4 to 8 hours but you’ll see the actual time will really depend on the job and if they run into any problems.

With covid and people WFH and not having a lot of options it’s not a great time for power to be out. My husband sat with his phone in his car to do his team planning calls while ours was out.

Thanks all. No Powerwalls getting installed so hoping for a 1-2 hour downtime. Agreed, with an entire household on electronics of some sort, there is no good time for power to be out. Would be nice if Tesla came with a generator for people to use in instances like this. Kudos to those who got only dealt with a 15-20 minute outage.

My solar-only install was about 10 mins down. When I had PWs installed later it was about 3 hours while they moved the wiring to the backup load center.
Thats about how long I was out for Powerwall install.

Thanks all. No Powerwalls getting installed so hoping for a 1-2 hour downtime. Agreed, with an entire household on electronics of some sort, there is no good time for power to be out. Would be nice if Tesla came with a generator for people to use in instances like this. Kudos to those who got only dealt with a 15-20 minute outage.

We got through the 3 hours or so of power outage with the thought "this is the last time we likely we will be without power while in this home".

Reactions: isjka
Now just waiting for PTO from PG&E

4eezni.jpg

It depends upon how many changes are required to your electrical system - something the installers should be able to estimate prior to the outage.

For our 44 panel/4 PowerWall system, power was down for about 6 hours, while they rewired the grid connections for our 3 house breaker panels, adding an extra cable runway box on the outside, added the TEG panel (and ran the grid power through it) and added a generation panel (with breakers for the solar panels & PowerWalls). During this outage, they also added an extra 50A outlet for emergency charging one of our Tesla vehicles during an extended power outage (hurricane). Because of the extensive changes, they had a team of electricians here all day to do as much of the work as possible before disconnecting the power, and then to do the rest of the work during the outage as quickly as they could.

The installers reminded us that this could be the last time our house would be without power...

In anticipation of this extended outage, we ran a long extension cord from our neighbor's house (with their permission) and had power in one of our rooms during the outage - so it wasn't too bad.

• Informative
We are having 30 panels grouped in 4 sections, 2 PVs and service upgrade (100 ->200). What should I expect in terms of power outage?

Unfortunately an outage length is really hard to predict because it really varies depending on exactly how much work needs to be done and how many circuits need to be moved and such. However, with a service upgrade then I suspect that your outage will be measured in hours. It is unlikely to be a quick one. If you ask the electricians at the start of the day they will probably be able to give you a better estimate.

Reactions: solarAddict
Unfortunately an outage length is really hard to predict because it really varies depending on exactly how much work needs to be done and how many circuits need to be moved and such. However, with a service upgrade then I suspect that your outage will be measured in hours. It is unlikely to be a quick one. If you ask the electricians at the start of the day they will probably be able to give you a better estimate.

I told my wife she should be ready for two days lol

Last edited:
  • Funny