Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Leonardo DiCaprio's climate change documentary

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just watched it. I was pretty good. I think Leo did well and was not a twit at all. He interviewed the right people. Highlight of the movie for me was at 1h28m44s point where he shook hands with Al Gore.

Interesting revelation was how much CO2 equivalent does beef production emit. I looked up the claim that 1/2lb beef burger is equivalent to carbon emitted by generating 12kWh of US grid electricity, and it is legit. 1Kg of conventional beef in US emits 22Kg of CO2 equivalent greenhouse gases. So eating one double quarter pounder from McDonalds equals 5 KG of CO2 or equivalent to driving 45 miles in my EV.

Edit: youtube comments are literally cancer. If this is how general electorate thinks, then we are F**kd.

Last edited:
Edit: youtube comments are literally cancer. If this is how general electorate thinks, then we are F**kd.
YouTube comments are always like that. It's as close to the bottom as a person can reach, without going there. Don't put any weight on them - pretend they're just Microsoft chatbots.

Actually there is an ignorant majority on this topic. The you tube commenters are the extreme wing. Mankind needs visionary leadership who will not pander to the masses or we all die.

This is not natural ignorance. Massive amounts of money are spent to confuse the public into a state which effectively mimics ignorance.

I just listened to the audio book of "Dark Money: The Hidden History of the Billionaires Behind the Rise of the Radical Right" by Jane Mayer, and would also recommend Michael Mann's latest book, entitled "The Madhouse Effect".

Reactions: KJD
There are a lot of things I don't agree with the movie but it has a huge point that we have to listen to.

The part that really got me was when he was in India and the woman said "Why should we change what we do over here when the USA preaches to the high heavens and never follows through with what they are preaching" ( not those exact words but along those lines )

I thought it was mostly good, but wasn't as convincing as it should have been. There are other people he should have talked to, and some parts drag on a little.

I'm 100% behind doing big things to combat climate change, but I still struggle with the cow thing. No one seems to be able to explain it to me in a way that doesn't sound crack pot. I don't even know which end of the cow it's supposedly coming out of. This documentary didn't help. We are not digging cows up from underground and burning them. There needs to be a seriously thorough and scientific look at agriculture and the complexities surrounding it to really understand what needs to stop, what can be fixed or improved, and what doesn't matter. For example, do the CO2 emissions include emissions from operation of machinery? Because I think that's a cheat. That's an area that just needs improved, because you could build machinery that is zero emission. It doesn't mean you need to stop eating meat anymore than ICEs mean you should stop driving. You don't need to stop driving, just get on board the EV train. This might not be a big part of it, but just an example of how complex the cow issue potentially is. The evidence for climate change in fossil fuel use is highly convincing. The cow thing is not. Need to work on that. I'm not against changing eating habits, but I need better clarification and more convincing evidence.

• Informative
Reactions: TesTaipei