Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

"Less energy is available due to cold battery" trying to charge

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I still don't believe charging won't work if the pump is pwned. You've experienced the same thing twice, and if the pump is broken maybe that explains the last year's incident as well... do you have TeslaFi or any logging service log for summer supercharging? If the pump is broken or not working well, supercharging rate could be lowered and you can see that in the log.

I still don't believe charging won't work if the pump is pwned. You've experienced the same thing twice, and if the pump is broken maybe that explains the last year's incident as well... do you have TeslaFi or any logging service log for summer supercharging? If the pump is broken or not working well, supercharging rate could be lowered and you can see that in the log.

supercharging will not work whatsoever if the pump is blown

• Informative
Reactions: hiroshiy
just got a call back from the service center. they wanted to do the following:

coolant pump: $275 (i already approved this)
front brake pad and rotors: $850
rear brake pad and rotors: $850
parking brake: $? (didnt ask)
front camber arms: $1000
annual service: $850

That's a total of over ~$4000 if I just blindly accepted.

The camber arms is pissing me off. They've already replaced these twice for 'play' ($1000 each repair) and I feel like I'm getting dicked around with that again. Either its complete BS or there's a major defect in the vehicle. I shouldn't have to keep replacing those every 50-60k miles.

The front brake pads I needed for sure, i was at like <1mm. I rejected all others. So basically I only approved the coolant pump $275 and the front brake pads but NOT the rotors, so this was only $450 instead, so total work should be $725. The rotors are fine, they just said they typically do both at the same time. (again, rip off). rear brake pads still have a lot left on them so I didn't let them con me out of those. parking brake? really? i dont think so.

I'm not about to sink $4000 in the car for unnecessary repairs. While I applaud them for the coolant pump diagnosis and fix, I do feel like the service centers is a rip off just like any ICE dealership service center. And no, I'm not paying $850 for "annual service" for a key fob battery.

I am also seriously considering selling the car and going back to ICE. I've already been looking at some ICE cars with a few in mind. I'm a bit tired of the 7-8 hour each direction weekly commutes because of the 3-4 hours of charging required.

• Informative
Reactions: hiroshiy
So basically I only approved the coolant pump $275 and the front brake pads but NOT the rotors, so this was only $450 instead, so total work should be $725. The rotors are fine, they just said they typically do both at the same time. (again, rip off). rear brake pads still have a lot left on them so I didn't let them con me out of those. parking brake? really? i dont think so.

$450 to replace two front wheel pads? AutoZone sells DuraLast Premium pads for a MS for $60 each. I'd love to hear the reason for the rear pads and parking brake. This (and the other crap above) is past ridiculous - I agree that "con" is the right word here. I wonder if they would have the same recommendation if this were under extended warranty?

• Informative
Reactions: cleverscreenam
$450 to replace two front wheel pads? AutoZone sells DuraLast Premium pads for a MS for $60 each. I'd love to hear the reason for the rear pads and parking brake. This (and the other crap above) is past ridiculous - I agree that "con" is the right word here. I wonder if they would have the same recommendation if this were under extended warranty?

I've seen someone else say that Tesla recommended replacing the parking brakes because of excessive rust. In the rust belt pads can require changing because of "rust jacking" way before you actually use up the pad material. That is probably even more-so with EVs.

I do agree that the cost for Tesla to do a pad swap is way to high. It should be closer to $200. ($60/parts, $140/labor)

i tried taking it to a regular shop a few weeks ago but they told me that they cannot get the right brake pads for a tesla model s because it is a special order directly from tesla. (imo I think that's BS because from what I understand its the same brembo brake pad that a corvette stingray uses).

• Informative
I do agree that the cost for Tesla to do a pad swap is way to high. It should be closer to $200. ($60/parts, $140/labor)
This. I've done a bunch of pad swaps on Brembo and Porsche calipers (which are similar). It's stupid easy. I was changing Porsche pads all the time at the track. It took me longer to jack the car and remove/reinstall the wheel than to actually change the pads and bleed the caliper.

• Informative
new problem. tesla replaced the coolant pump front brake pad and rotors, then they towed the car directly to the body shop (i had hit a deer about 2 weeks prior to the charging incident). just picked up the car yesterday then drove it home tonight and went to turn on the windshield wipers and they no longer work.

here is what the wipers are doing:

I know for a fact they were 100% working went I last left the car. I am assuming the body shop f*ed somethign up and didnt notice it. the body shop is 260 miles away. I can't drive the car back that distance going through 3 different climate areas in winter without having windshield wipers available as its just too dangerous. I just sent an email to the body shop demanding they tow the car back and fix whatever they broke. they are not going to be happy with that as its probably going to cost $2000 or so just for the tow. hell it cost $1100 to tow it from albany to mt kisco and that was only 130 miles....from my house to the body shop is 260 miles. there's no way of me knowing if the service center broke them or if the body shop broke them. i can't imagine that tesla did a bunch of repairs and inspected it and forgot to check the wipers after they were done...so it must be the body shop as they had to have the front all taken apart to replace parts and stuff.

It must've been outside covered in snow, when someone got in it before clearing the windshield. The wipers on automatic would destroy themselves. I did it to my car a couple of years ago - I cracked open a door to preheat and forgot the wipers weren't off. My wiper transmission broke unlike yours, but the same part needs to be replaced.

This might help you deduce who had your car when it was broken.

• Informative
As far as Expensive, Long-Distance tows: Some years ago a friend of mine was about 500 to 600 miles from home when his car died. Instead of waiting on getting it fixed there, maybe rent a car to drive home, then back, he decided to go to U-haul and rent a truck and a car carrier trailer on a one-way rental. It worked like a charm. A lot less expensive than a tow, and the long round trip drive.

Hope this helps any of you who are faced with $1,000 to $2,000 tows and then having to rent a car.

It must've been outside covered in snow, when someone got in it before clearing the windshield. The wipers on automatic would destroy themselves. I did it to my car a couple of years ago - I cracked open a door to preheat and forgot the wipers weren't off. My wiper transmission broke unlike yours, but the same part needs to be replaced.
Holy cow. I hadn't thought about that one. I already think that automatic windshield wipers don't work well, and I hate them, but that's yet another thing that is horrible about them--actually self destructing.

• Love