Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Less expensive home charging alternative

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If you're cheap like me you can skip the $500 Tesla charger ($750 with install) and buy the Nema 14-50 adapter they sell and just install the plug. I'm getting 30 miles/hour of charge which for me is plenty fast. Total cost was $185. My charger comes on at 12:00am and by 8:00 am I've added 240 miles of range.
MVIMG_20200724_071123.jpg
MVIMG_20200724_071123.jpg

I asked the licensed electrician who told me a simple plug install from an existing panel does not require permits or inspection. Didn't add any new breakers, done to code.
Really? Here, a new receptacle install requires a permit and inspection. Especially if it requires new wiring. Only a replacement of an existing receptacle with a same type does not require a permit.

Reactions: rxlawdude
If you're cheap like me you can skip the $500 Tesla charger ($750 with install) and buy the Nema 14-50 adapter they sell and just install the plug.
To be complete it would be nice for you to include the cost of installing the plug. One could assume it was also $250 or not, but I’m sure it wasn’t free so it would be a better comparison for those considering what kind of connector solution they want.

To be complete it would be nice for you to include the cost of installing the plug. One could assume it was also $250 or not, but I’m sure it wasn’t free so it would be a better comparison for those considering what kind of connector solution they want.
The cord of course came with the MY. The 14-50 adapter from Tesla was $35. The parts and labor for my particular plug install was $150. So total cost was $185.

• Informative
Reactions: dhrivnak
The main disadvantage to this is that you don't carry your charging cable with you. If you don't travel much, not a big deal. There have been reports on this forum of folks trying to unplug their charger and take it with them each day who then had problems with the outlet wearing out and shorting.

Other than that, it's fine.

Reactions: rxlawdude
Not in California, the most regulatory-intense place on earth.

That’s bad information. I don’t know of a single jurisdiction in California that exempts new outlets from permitting requirements. Monterey County requires them.

ask any licensed electrician . . . Heck - just google "do I need a permit to install a new outlet in California" and let me know what you find.