Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Lesson Learned: Keep your Brake Rotors Conditioned!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just had Carbotech 1521's installed yesterday. Mike Jr. suggested this compound as a good compromise between better performance while not being as dust generating as the AX6. If track use is planned or you don't care about cleaning dust from wheels weekly, AX6s are the tops.

Carbotech advised to give a few days of normal breaking for pads to settle in before using them very hard.
I agree. The AX6's can/do squeak sometimes which I cannot stand in a daily driver. I am thrilled w/ the 1521's. Website here: Carbotech Performance Brakes Like Bob I just called them and ordered right over the phone.

Here's the bedding procedure:
Carbotech Performance Brakes: Frequently Asked Questions

thanks for the thread. I haven't had my roadster for that long, and I needed this information, as "the brakes seem fine," but what I understand now, with this help, is that in an emergency, unless measures are taken "okay brakes" will become "not so much." Now I know what to do. :) thank you.

The problem is the OEM pads seem to be more for the track (thanks Lotus), and only work well when hot. With the aggressive regen braking you have to make a point to keep them that way. In my opinion EBC Yelow Stuff work as well as the Carbotechs, and cost a lot less. No noise is a definite plus also.

I never had the the stock pads work well when hot honestly, they suck no matter what temp I ran them. They also crumble when you're hard on them and that's unacceptable for any braking system. Happy those deathpads went in the trash with only 6k miles. I never had any noise coming from my Carbotech's other than break-in and a little after that. I run the EBC GreenStuff on my truck, like them very much, but I also upgraded the braking system (larger rotors, slotted discs, etc.) so I can't say how much the pads helped alone. It was yet another vehicle with an under-designed braking system where you felt like the stock setup would stop you fine until you needed them and found they just fade. That's when you discover how much you and other's lives are on the line and dependent on such a fundamental concept. The AX6's is basically a track pad that work in normal street driving temps. If you go any more aggressive than the AX6 brake / compound, you'll then have to take the time to heat the pads (brake compound) and rotors up to their working temp. These numbers are typically not realistic nor sanely achievable on the street. I have 44k on the AX6 pads, took them off to inspect not long ago, and they're holding up just fine. No cracking, crumbling nor any indication of fatigue or stress.

I honestly found the CarboTech's alone were not enough for what the Roadster offers in performance combined with my aggressive driving style (especially in the rain), hence why I started the aftermarket rotor group buy. The CarboTech's are a huge improvement by themselves, however, I felt they didn't entirely fix the Roadster's poorly designed braking system when pushed hard over and over again. I still was not confident I could stop as well as I should, but knew it was achievable. I'm sure the EBC YellowStuff would be a great improvement, and actually that was my initial direction. But then I started talking to people who AutoCross their cars and I started searching deeper, looked into the working temps of the pads and understanding what those numbers really mean. Right now I'm stoked that now my Roadster brakes are exactly where I want them to be. The AX6's and Cedar Ridge Fabrication custom rotors pulled it all together. This is the way the Roadster should have been delivered to the customer from the beginning but was overlooked or missed as not being a critical part for marketing the car. A supercar requirement of mine is that it must have supercar capable brakes.

Last edited:
wiztecy, is it still possible to buy your custom rotors?
My stock roadster brakes scare the crap out of me! :cursing: "Death pads" is the only true way to describe them

For less than $600, you can get four EBC 308mm slotted rotors (with a nice anti-rust black coating). Bolt on for the rear and just two 1/4" spacers for the front caliper. The larger fronts are a noticable improvement over the stock 300mm units. Add CarboTechs or EBC yellow pads and you're good to go.

wiztecy, is it still possible to buy your custom rotors?
My stock roadster brakes scare the crap out of me! :cursing: "Death pads" is the only true way to describe them

Yes, you can get in touch with David who's contact information is on the "group buy" thread as well as in the facebook link below. Many people have shown interest in buying a set after the 1st production run. David also is getting calls with more interests and passed along that he can honor the same price that was offered on the 1st run if there's enough interest. Its the same minimum as before, I believe 20-25 orders.

The rotors are performing awesome, no sign of rust after a car-wash still. My slotted EBC's on my truck already are corroding with only the black oxide coating that EBC applied. That stuff gets rubbed off rather fast, but its great as an extra coat of protection for the parts that are not directly in contact with the pads hence why we went with it on-top of the FNC. The FNC coating we added is excellent, that's what's keeping the oxidation / rust off the rotors. It also adds more grip on the rotor, it gives a more rough look on the surface, and is very durable. I'm not seeing it polishing up like my EBC's have reached. I've put on enough miles on the custom rotors to match the truck so its about the same duration of pad contact give or take. I've also been watching the Chevy Volts rotors which we pulled the concept from and they're still looking good as the miles are put on them.

I was going to say wait to see what Tesla may offer with their brake upgrade, but then again who knows when that'll be. Also I don't know what type of resistance / protection, if any Telsa will add to the rotors.

In the mean-time, if you haven't already I'd throw on the CarboTech pads so you'll have way better stopping capabilities over the stock pads. You can use the same pads on the new rotors, just need to do the break-in again for the pad/rotor combo.

David's rotors have exceeded my expectation on looks, performance, and durability. Its a great looking and inexpensive brake insurance policy to cover your $100k+ car, so why settle for anything less.

Here's David's / Cedar Ridge Fabrication's Facebook page:

https://www.facebook.com/Cedar-Ridge-Fabrication-LLC-1709306112629624/

Last edited:
oh... I didn't realize it was Cedar Ridge! He makes great NSX mods. I'll definitely try to order up a set when I make it back to my car in LA.

Yep, that's David. He's a great guy to deal with and has great fabrication as well as amazing racing applicable knowledge that I found quite useful when we were doing the rotors. I want to hit him up about fabricating some side mirror mounts so I can attach a basic motorcycle mirror to. That way I can get a smaller footprint of a mirror and also expand upon my choices.

You may want to create another group buy thread to get your minimum count up to where you need it for production.

With these custom rotors you'll be dropping some pounds of unsprung weight per wheel due to their two piece and inner aluminum hat design, and with that, has huge performance advantages that not only affect the performance of braking, but also with suspension as well as acceleration. Its less weight that each component of a system it affects needs to handle, so it in turn becomes quicker in response as well as it now takes on less stress, which also adds durable to the entire system.

Last edited:
Yep, that's David. He's a great guy to deal with and has great fabrication as well as amazing racing applicable knowledge that I found quite useful when we were doing the rotors. I want to hit him up about fabricating some side mirror mounts so I can attach a basic motorcycle mirror to. That way I can get a smaller footprint of a mirror and also expand upon my choices.

You may want to create another group buy thread to get your minimum count up to where you need it for production.

With these custom rotors you'll be dropping some pounds of unsprung weight per wheel due to their two piece and inner aluminum hat design, and with that, has huge performance advantages that not only affect the performance of braking, but also with suspension as well as acceleration. Its less weight that each component of a system it affects needs to handle, so it in turn becomes quicker in response as well as it now takes on less stress, which also adds durable to the entire system.

I don't have wiztecy's technical or racing / aggressive driving background, but I feel the same way as he about the braking system (a supercar should have a supercar caliber braking system). I've also got the group buy rotors and they have completely satisfied and then some, what I was looking for. I drive the Roadster through our Portland area winters, and that means a lot of rain and wet pavement driving. That whole "icy brake" feel when the rotors got wet is gone, and the car stops marvelously.

The other idea of starting up a "group buy #2" thread for the rotors is a good idea as well - I think you'll find that if people know a group buy is coming together, that will help find people that will want to get in on things.

Group Buy???
Count me in!
Brakes are a bit scary in #992. Would like the improved performance and weight reduction.
I, like so many others, was waiting for the Tesla improvement. Since it isn't coming I am interested in a 2nd Group Buy.

I had 2 deer jump in front of me today. I slammed on the brakes and stopped within 10 ft of hitting one. I can testify the new rotors with AX6 pads are WAY better than the stock setup. There is no longer a brief delay before they bite. And they will bite hard if you want them to. Having washed my car today I almost certainly would have hit the deer with the stock rotors. It took a few minutes to get my heart rate back to normal. I think that was the worst that happened!

Deer

I had 2 deer jump in front of me today. I slammed on the brakes and stopped within 10 ft of hitting one. I can testify the new rotors with AX6 pads are WAY better than the stock setup. There is no longer a brief delay before they bite. And they will bite hard if you want them to. Having washed my car today I almost certainly would have hit the deer with the stock rotors. It took a few minutes to get my heart rate back to normal. I think that was the worst that happened!

Henry,

I am so glad for both you and the deer! And with any luck, you have scared them enough to send them fleeing to north western VT, as hunting season opens a little over a week from now!

DJ

Probably the only Roadster owner to have transported a deer in his trunk...

I have noticed my rotors always stay clean and my range is slightly less than the typical Roadster owner along with my watts/mile a little above average. So I wonder if on the 1.5 my brakes are dragging slightly. Not bad but enough to keep the rotors clean. I was not aware of a way to adjust disk brakes as from my understanding they are self adjusting. Do other have clean rotors all the time? And maybe this is a good thing as the stock brakes have worked well for me as I never seem to have that lost time due to needing to clean the rotors before the bite.

And Henry so glad you are fine and the Roadster is untouched.

Awesome testimonial for the upgraded rotors and pads we have been offering, here is the current group buy thread for them:
https://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/threads/now-shipping-custom-tesla-roadster-2-piece-slotted-rotors

Reactions: dhrivnak