Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Lesson Learned with rock chips

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
No controversy, your point of view is just as valid as people on the other side of the argument :)

Not sure where the $10k estimate for Washington came from. Both the higher end shops in the Seattle area will do a "full wrap" for about $7,000. And both will do a front wrap as you described for around $1700 I think.

Now, if you do a full wrap, chrome delete (somewhere around $1800), top end tint (around $600) including windshield & pano (lets say $250 each), then yeah you can get up to $10k (including tax, ~10% in WA :mad:)

I was initially going to just do the front. But then I thought "I'll go back and get the sides done eventually"... then I thought "well then I should get the rest done eventually"... then I thought "I'll have to get it detailed each time, take it into a shop..." anyway, I'm just gonna do the full wrap all at once. It's more than I ever thought I'd spend on this type of thing, but the peace of mind will be worth it.

Plus I'm going with XPEL Stealth wrap so it should just look cool :)

You seriously have one of the finest PPF installation companies in the whole USA in your neck of the woods. Metropolitan Detail does fantastic work and they happen to be a forum sponsor and Tesla owners. $10k sounds like a full wrap. Why not have them just wrap the front? It should be much less and it will cover the areas most prone to damage.

Yes. I've heard nothing but praise for Metropolitan and have no doubt that they do outstanding work. I requested quotes from them before and after I got my car but found the full wrap pricing prohibitive. I have considered the partial plus wrap as that is much more cost effective than a full wrap. But knowing my luck with things the chips will be in the places without the film :)

I have been thinking of getting paint protection film on the entire body of my S when I get it.
What type of post installation care is needed if any for the film?
How often is this protection for the film needed?

The local installer can do Expel film or a 3M film.

Also, will I need to order P85D badges for the trunk if full body film is used?

I have been thinking of getting paint protection film on the entire body of my S when I get it.
What type of post installation care is needed if any for the film?
How often is this protection for the film needed?

The local installer can do Expel film or a 3M film.

Also, will I need to order P85D badges for the trunk if full body film is used?

1. Use only products that are safe for film. Anything with petroleum distillates will turn it yellow. I believe Xpel has their own products.

2. Get Xpel or Suntek. 3M has a reputation for yellowing (though I don't know if this is from improper care or not).

3. The badges will be reused, no need to order more. My installer cut around the badges that he didn't feel comfortable removing and replacing. He was concerned he wouldn't get them back on straight. He did remove the single badges (Tesla T).

And both will do a front wrap as you described for around $1700 I think.

I can confirm a full front wrap costs about this much. Though that's with discounts (e.g. AAA). That's what I'm doing for my car.

I tend to agree with the people that say it's only worth it if you intend to keep the car for a while.

Regarding resale value. Tesla refused to give me anything for it on my trade. If you keep the car long enough that it bumps your condition then yeah it's probably worth it.

Maybe you should drive out to St. Louis. I had mine fully wrapped for $3500.

That doesn't seem like a good plan to me. Taking a 2,000 mile road trip to get PPF to prevent you from getting a rock strike that you'll probably get on the 2,000 mile road trip. Negates the whole point. Case in point:
Already Got a Rock Strike

That happened the day I picked the car up from getting the PPF.

I coated mine with 22ple VX1 Pro Glass Coating when I got it, and six months after that, and so far no chips at all. Of course, it's not nearly as durable than a wrap but much better than the soft paint, and the shine is amazing. Plus, at about $150 for the large 50ml bottle (about 3 applications) it's much cheaper than a wrap, which long term might not look that good.

I coated mine with 22ple VX1 Pro Glass Coating when I got it, and six months after that, and so far no chips at all. Of course, it's not nearly as durable than a wrap but much better than the soft paint, and the shine is amazing. Plus, at about $150 for the large 50ml bottle (about 3 applications) it's much cheaper than a wrap, which long term might not look that good.

Or both. I paint corrected mine, wrapped it, then put 3 coats of 22ple on. It's too shiny now haha certainly a head turner