Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Lessons from first holiday leaving M3P for 2 weeks

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
A few weeks back we headed away for two weeks leaving my M3P in Gatwick short stay (long stay closed so got short stay for long stay prices! Win!)

Drove up from Exeter to Reigate and stayed overnight. SuperCharged en route them boosted in a shopping centre so I left it in Gatwick on 83% sentry mode turned off thinking maybe 1-2% a day loss so I’d come back to 50% plenty to get to Basingstoke superchargers (norton park)

I’d set the watch app I use and Tesla remote to not poll so all good.

also turned off cabin overheat protection too

Managed to restrain myself from checking it until day 12 of the holiday! So went on the app and checked....*sugar* it was on 39% what’s been going on it’s lost way more than I expected.

I thought about it and realised there were other apps I’d connected in haste and excitement when I first got the car

Tesla scope
Tesla fi
Tesla remote
Shortcuts for Siri Shortcuts
Another watch app

So I googled and realised best thing to do was change my Tesla password to block them all instantly.

That done the car lost just 1% over the following three days.

Gatwick is poorly served for fast charging but thankfully had enough to go to Heathrow Hilton T5 which whilst closed is open for supercharging (weeds growing through the car park like a scene from walking dead after no ones looked after it for 5 months!)

Got a good charge and we headed home no drama

good lessons learned and in future I’ll a) disable apps first
B) check 2-3 days in to ensure all on track

Would be nice if there was a better way to control access like a dashboard of apps you’ve granted access etc rather than having to remember

Figured this might be useful to some!
On the upside I don’t have any concerns about leaving for a few weeks now, drain without the apps after I’d changed password was very low

One api-polling service is ok, but as soon as you add another they’ve got very little chance of ever letting the car go to sleep.

They can’t tell the car to sleep, only stop keeping it awake. So while one service is leaving it alone to sleep the other is keeping it awake. When the first checks after about 20 mins to see if it’s asleep it finds it isn’t so loops around again.

• Informative
Reactions: Durzel