Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Let’s Take A Closer Look At Polestar 2 Battery Details

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

TMC Staff

May 19, 2017
There’s a lot to like about this battery pack design. The Polestar 2 battery pack layout is very unique. It’s kind of like a marriage between the Chevrolet Volt “T” pack (where GM put cells down the tunnel of the car) and the Bolt EV pack that is essentially a mono-slab pack design with a...
[WPURI="https://teslamotorsclub.com/blog/2019/03/01/close-look-polestar-2-battery-details/"]READ FULL ARTICLE[/WPURI]

Just tried configuring a Polestar 2 and the basic model comes out to $65,000 before incentives. Since the Model 3 basic model is now $35,000 before incentives, I don't see how the Polestar competes with the M3. Maybe they meant it competes with the Models S? Also, it's not a beautiful car - kind of looks like a Dodge Charger from the side. I don't like the battery layout since the floor cannot be flat in either the front or rear seat area. So, I'd say: nice try, but no cigar. I'd still buy a Model S or Model 3 based on pricing, looks, features.

Just tried configuring a Polestar 2 and the basic model comes out to $65,000 before incentives. Since the Model 3 basic model is now $35,000 before incentives, I don't see how the Polestar competes with the M3. Maybe they meant it competes with the Models S? Also, it's not a beautiful car - kind of looks like a Dodge Charger from the side. I don't like the battery layout since the floor cannot be flat in either the front or rear seat area. So, I'd say: nice try, but no cigar. I'd still buy a Model S or Model 3 based on pricing, looks, features.

$65k is the "intro" price, basically the release edition. They've said they'll have models available for around $40k eventually, though seeing as the $65k version only gets 275 miles of range, I can't imagine the $40k version competing very well with the base Model 3 =/

I was looking for the "a lot to like" part but couldn't find it. A battery system that merges two older technologies (Volt and Bolt) into one is not revolutionary. Am I missing something?

yeah... I get that the configuration makes for good leg room, cool.... but what about the chemistry for the batteries, anything special there? How reliable are these things going to be compared to Tesla? How fast will they charge? Etc...

These ICE-head designers just can't get over their past. Too bad for Volvo, the tunnel will xxxx up stability. Without the Level 3 charging infrastructure, the few hundred social predators that will lap these up will be using them as weekend cars , same as with Porsche's attempt. Those who do their homework will realize Tesla remains the only option for long distance travel.

Kudos to Rivian for moving on with the times.