TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Let’s talk about something other than ordering, which cell network Tesla uses?

Discussion in 'Canada' started by ZooSean, May 11, 2018.

1. ZooSean

ZooSean ZOO

As topic , my house has bad reception with Rogers tower (Rogers and its sub brand eg fido are not working at my house. One time Fedex can not even let me sign off the package on their machine because no signal.

However Bell towers are good, so Bell, Kodoo, Telus are all okay.

2. Bluewish

Bluewish Member

You pretty much will use wifi at home and lte on the road, so no problem.

3. ZooSean

ZooSean ZOO

As I know WiFi not available for Model 3

4. akidesir

akidesir Member

Last I remembered it was Rogers

5. rdturner0

rdturner0 Member

From what I heard, the contract is with AT&T and normally roams to Rogers in Canada. I hadn't heard about a Canada-specific contract for the data connections.

Wifi might still come to Model 3 as a software update (supposedly the hardware is there), but as @seanxushen says, it's not currently available.

6. ZooSean

ZooSean ZOO

If it uses roaming kind of service, the cell chip will pick up the best signal available and try to register.

7. rdturner0

rdturner0 Member

Generally yes, but not necessarily.

With roaming configurations, there are preferred roaming partners, and Rogers is a preferred carrier for AT&T roaming in Canada (and the inverse is also true the other way as well, with AT&T being the preferred roaming carrier for Rogers in the US). However, (and this depends on the phone and it's cell phone network selection criteria -- they are all a bit different as different vendors tweak the algorithms supplied by the radio firmware vendor, typically Qualcomm), they will roam to other networks as well based on signal strength, so long at the network technology is compatible. In Canada, our networks are now all generally aligned and compatible (in the US, Sprint and Verizon are still either quite different, or a bit different).

Also, in Canada we now have these "EXT" (extended) networks for roaming, where each carrier can roam on to other carriers networks. I'm not sure how that works if the based network contract is with a US carrier, but people may have seen their phone "roam" (it's not billed as roaming though, due to legislation) onto the EXT network (which is actually a network of another carrier).

Note I am ignoring cellular band support of devices and networks, as there are usually common frequency bands on the different networks to allow phones to roam/switch networks more easily (and most cellular terminals have support for a wide variety of bands in single chipsets these days).

As to how the mobile terminals inside the Tesla's work, I cannot tell you specifically -- the above info it just based on a number of years working in the cell phone business.

8. ZooSean

ZooSean ZOO

Looks like professional talking. I used to work for Newbridge if ppl still remember that 2nd largest telecoms device company. And you?

9. rdturner0

rdturner0 Member

I was at a Newbridge affiliate (Crosskeys) for a bit about 20-25 years back (hard to remember these days). My wife worked in the cellular radio area at BlackBerry for a number of years, and I also worked at BlackBerry for just under 5 years as well. So, I've been around cellular a bit.

10. Doug_G

Doug_G Lead Moderator

This was definitely true in the early days of Model S. I haven’t seen any confirmation that it is still true, but it probably hasn’t changed.

11. rdturner0

rdturner0 Member

I did get confirmation from a Sales person in MTL a month or so ago that it was still AT&T. But I don't always trust the sales folks to know that type of information.

12. Hugh Mannity

Hugh Mannity Mediocre Member

interesting that AT&T and Rogers are "partners"; when I take my Telus phone to the states it almost always switches to AT&T; once it was a different carrier but I don't recall which one; I think it was Sprint

13. Munch

Munch Member

As I understand, Internet is only included in the car for a few of years. What happens when that ends? How do you get maps for GPS?

14. rypalmer

rypalmer Active Member

It seems like Tesla hasn't bothered to start charging anyone for data yet. I suspect at this point they don't care. The vast majority of their cars are only 1-3 years old and they will cross that bridge when it's justifiable to put the resources on it.

15. Doug_G

Doug_G Lead Moderator

I think they're still at the point where it will cost more to set up a payment system than what it will earn. Plus the effort is better spent elsewhere.

In the long run the car can connect to wifi, so one solution would be to connect it to a cellphone hotspot. On my Rogers plan sharing your data with a second device costs $10 a month. So stick an old phone in the car and done.