TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Let’s talk about wheel spacers

Discussion in 'Model 3: Driving Dynamics' started by dgaultiere, May 22, 2018.

1. dgaultiere

dgaultiere Member

Ok, I’m definitely going to do wheel spacers on my model 3.

I took some measurements by driving one wheel at a time up onto a rhino ramp to push the wheel closer to the wheel well. As best I can tell, the front should accommodate around 10mm spacers and the rear around 25mm spacers without rubbing. It’s possible you could fit a little more but I don’t want any rub.

Has anyone tried spacers yet? What sizes have you used?

2. Daniel in SD

Daniel in SD Active Member

Spacers are the same geometrically(?) as getting different offset wheels. Your numbers seem inline with what people have gotten to fit. Unless the the lugs on the Model 3 are super long I think you’re going to need to pull the hubs and press new longer lugs in. You don’t want your wheels to fall off!
    Really, it would make more sense to get new wheels with your desired offset.

• Informative x 1
    • Like x 1
  3. dgaultiere

dgaultiere Member

I want spacers because i love the 19” stilettos but I want a wider stance.

Motorsport-tech offers some spacers with extended lugs built in, so that takes care of the issue if the lugs are too short:
    Wheel Adapters, Wheel Spacers, Hub Rings for your car! | Motorsport Tech

Also cricket88 had 30mm spacers installed by Eibach so either the lugs are long enough or they used spacers with lugs as well:
    Lowering the Model 3

4. dgaultiere

dgaultiere Member

Looking at some of the aftermarket wheel options people have installed, as well as the staggered wheel packages offered by T Sportline:
    The Tesla Model 3 Wheel and Tire Guide

It seems that +5mm front and +15mm rear is the most common. I saw one guy that did +10mm front and it looked pretty good but it’s possible there would be some rubbing. I do think +20mm rear would fit ok since the inside of the rear wheel well seems to be more open than the front.

So in sum, the best spacer combos would be 5mm front/15mm rear to play it safe, or 10mm front/20mm rear for a more aggressive stance with slight rub possibility.

5. Daniel in SD

Daniel in SD Active Member

Unless the lugs are shorter than 25mm how will they fit behind the wheel when using the spacer with the extra lugs? I suppose you could grind them down.
    You should take of a lug nut off to see how much thread engagement you’re getting right now. I would be very wary of losing 10mm of thread!
    It’s a $50k+ car, if it was me I’d get wider wheels with the same offset. That way the wheel bearings are still at the center of the wheels and the wheels are more likely to stay on the car. :p

• Like x 2
  6. dgaultiere

dgaultiere Member

Spacers can be ordered with longer lugs pressed into them. The factory wheels have negative space in them between the lugs, so it leaves gap for the stock lugs. Another forum member recently posted about this here: #183

7. Ludalicious

Ludalicious Member

My thoughts exactly. These are not your typical vehicle's when it comes to rims and wheels The tires and rims see huge amounts of torque. This is why the lugs need to be torqued much higher. IMO if you can't get the correct wheel fitment and rims. Stick to stock until you can afford to do so.

8. dgaultiere

dgaultiere Member

As stated in my first post, this is not about cost. I prefer the look of the 19” sport wheels to any aftermarket wheel I’ve seen. I simply want different offsets than the Tesla wheels come with. Spacers are a very legitimate modification that have been used on many more powerful vehicles than a Model 3. Again, check out the lowering thread for an example of another owner who is using them successfully:
    Lowering the Model 3

This thread has been completely hijacked by all of you who don’t want spacers rather than the helpful, “share what’s worked for you” thread I hoped it would be. You’re entitled to your opinion but don’t ruin it for the rest of us.

Mods - please delete this thread.

• Like x 1
  9. Thomas Edison

Thomas Edison Active Member

Lowering the Model 3

Post 181, 25mm spacers on aeros, but gives you at least an idea of the look.

• Like x 1