Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Let me describe our delivery . . . seems common these days

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
First- its not my car - my bride has wanted a Tesla since 2012. I'm here to get and share info and experiences - we're not greenies or fanboys, we use the vehicle for the benefits it provides - mainly carpool lane access and the ability to avoid gas stations and then the cool factor for my wife.

We arrived a few minutes ahead of schedule - and it was not problem - the car was in a roped off area off the main show floor at the Burbank show room and service center.

I realized last night that my bride likes dark blue cars because this is the third dark blue new vehicle she has purchased. Funny after 30 years I just realized that!

Dark blue, Cream interior. EAP and ordered 75D - with SAS and whatever else you get with 75D today.

Was delivered uncorked. Got a software update TODAY while we had a couple of issues fixed.

Delivery process was underwhelming. A DS [not our assigned DS] spent an hour with my bride doing the very small amount of paperwork required with a no-finance deal, and then going through the vehicle features and set up of the various bluetooth and other systems. It all seems pretty straight forward.

Fit and finish was acceptable for Tesla. The paint was fine - 9-9.5/10 - about as good as you'd get. Panel fitment was uneven all around - but consistently uneven if that makes sense. The panel fit varied from very good to wide lines- but the seams matched up and the pieces fit together as they were supposed to - even the chrome was attached correctly and lined up.

I discovered a broken piece off the tail light [where is looks like a detailer snapped it off pulling a rag along the car - shtye happens] which they said they could fix right away.

This led the next problem - they brought the car back around with grease all over the cream driver seat and carpet - and they actually gave my wife a hard time about taking it back and cleaning it. "It's just from the mechanics," was the actual words used. Yeah - so?

They had no merchandise, no shirt, no cap and not even a key fob holder. I bought a used 911 three years ago and the dealer gave me a key fob, a shirt and mug.

All in all - it was not like accepting delivery of a $92k Benz or Porsche - but as good as can be expected from a company which has existed on fans and not critical consumers for many years until recently [last 24 months maybe the customer base has grown?] - anyway - Lynn loves the car and thats all that matters

Most of was #firstworldproblems !!

Attachments

• IMG_3252.jpg
    IMG_3252.jpg
    398 KB · Views: 255
  • IMG_3253.jpg
    IMG_3253.jpg
    379.2 KB · Views: 218
  • IMG_3254.jpg
    IMG_3254.jpg
    411 KB · Views: 226
Last edited:
I felt the same way (about the lack of any sense of customer appreciation) when we got our current car. At the time, it was the second Tesla we'd bought in a two year period starting in 2013. Spending nearly a quarter million bucks on cars from any company, let alone a new player with a revolutionary product, should have warranted something in the way of acknowledgement. Instead, we got the same sort of disinterested customer service that seems to be standard at Tesla.

When we bought our second Audi (before the Teslas), the dealership was really thoughtful, sent my wife flowers, gave us swag, etc. Not that Tesla's way is make or break, but it's not a good way to build brand loyalty.

First- its not my car - my bride has wanted a Tesla since 2012. I'm here to get and share info and experiences - we're not greenies or fanboys, we use the vehicle for the benefits it provides - mainly carpool lane access and the ability to avoid gas stations and then the cool factor for my wife.

We arrived a few minutes ahead of schedule - and it was not problem - the car was in a roped off area off the main show floor at the Burbank show room and service center.

I realized last night that my bride likes dark blue cars because this is the third dark blue new vehicle she has purchased. Funny after 30 years I just realized that!

Dark blue, Cream interior. EAP and ordered 75D - with SAS and whatever else you get with 75D today.

Was delivered uncorked. Got a software update TODAY while we had a couple of issues fixed.

Delivery process was underwhelming. A DS [not our assigned DS] spent an hour with my bride doing the very small amount of paperwork required with a no-finance deal, and then going through the vehicle features and set up of the various bluetooth and other systems. It all seems pretty straight forward.

Fit and finish was acceptable for Tesla. The paint was fine - 9-9.5/10 - about as good as you'd get. Panel fitment was uneven all around - but consistently uneven if that makes sense. The panel fit varied from very good to wide lines- but the seams matched up and the pieces fit together as they were supposed to - even the chrome was attached correctly and lined up.

I discovered a broken piece off the tail light [where is looks like a detailer snapped it off pulling a rag along the car - shtye happens] which they said they could fix right away.

This led the next problem - they brought the car back around with grease all over the cream driver seat and carpet - and they actually gave my wife a hard time about taking it back and cleaning it. "It's just from the mechanics," was the actual words used. Yeah - so?

They had no merchandise, no shirt, no cap and not even a key fob holder. I bought a used 911 three years ago and the dealer gave me a key fob, a shirt and mug.

All in all - it was not like accepting delivery of a $92k Benz or Porsche - but as good as can be expected from a company which has existed on fans and not critical consumers for many years until recently [last 24 months maybe the customer base has grown?] - anyway - Lynn loves the car and thats all that matters

Gorgeous car. Your wife has EXCELLENT taste.

I agree that the main learning point for Tesla right now is that Customer Service is the most important thing. When as customer feels like they have been treated like royalty (or at least a VIP of some sort) that goes a LONG way to overcoming issues (which there always are...). That is true for a $150K car, a $85K car (mine), or a $35K car (the Model 3). When they figure that part out, this company will be on a track to become the dominant force in the auto marketplace. Until they figure it out, they are going to be at a disadvantage with the majority of car buyers.

Reactions: CalBlue 85D
Glad to hear the delivery went pretty well and congrats to Lynn on the car and nice color combo (great photo of her smiling btw), and congrats to you...happy wife, happy husband.

Regarding the mechanic's grease...:confused: how is it that people think this is okay to pass off to the car owner to clean and not take care of immediately and with an apology? The service manager should have this drilled into all the guys working for him. When we had our Blackvue installed in our car we got home and found a shiny grease fingerprint on the back leather seat guessing from when they were crawling in there to installing the back camera (no one had been in our rear seat area since delivery, just very disappointing). When we picked up our car back in March, Tesla was still giving out little gift packages, umbrella/mug/forgot what else, but I thought I had read that they weren't doing that any longer. None of our other cars cost anywhere near our Tesla but we never got anything from Toyota or Honda either. Not a biggie for us either way but do feel making the customer feel appreciated at delivery is key to starting a good relationship. I feel for people who come away feeling they had a rushed delivery experience.

We have a 75D as well and just enjoy driving it. I'm sure Lynn will have fun in hers. Never having to put gas in a vehicle again is SO nice.

BTW before getting our car I bought Tesla's leather fob holder and key ring that they had on their website. The new fobs with the rubberband around it do not fit inside it. Probably why they stopped selling them.

Last edited:
Funny, over almost three years, I've had nothing but amazing experiences at Van Nuys SC, even when I was just a prospective customer looking at a bunch of colors outside and asking naive questions about the car and about service.

The only exception? The delivery process. DS was underwhelming and blah on follow-through.

Even that was saved by service, though. The foreman and team moved heaven and earth to get the car into my hands on a Saturday, rather than the Tuesday my DS thought would be fine despite the car having arrived on Friday.

Service is the hard part, and Tesla gets that right. A major reason why my wife bought an M3 and why I'm either going to upgrade to a 100D or sidegrade to a M3 LRD.

Don't know why they struggle with delivery, swag and schmooze, which should be the ultra-easy part.

Doesn't matter to us fanboys. But probably puts off new folks who have just spent twice as much on a car as ever before in their lives. Needless self-inflicted wound for Tesla ...

Oh nooooooo, sorry it wasn't a perfect experience. But you are a SMART MAN Comanchepilot, Lynn (I have a sister named Lynn) loves the car. CLUNK. End of story.

• Disagree
Reactions: Eclectic
Shitty deal on the dirty seats from the mechanics. Personally I’d rather not get swag so I like that they are straight forward. The MX comes with a sweet box for the key fobs. But now it’s just more stuff in my house. Rather just what I paid for really. The MX!

Great looking car, I like the color combo. Good luck with it, hope you have a trouble free ownership experience from here on.

One interesting thing I noted during purchase and delivery is that the OA and DS teams are very young (mid 20s - early 30s) and have no car sales or service experience where I bought my 2 cars. The service team all have many years experience including auto service background and have worked for Tesla 5+ years. The experience is very backloaded; sales made many errors in the information when I was buying both cars and my delivery was OK, but a few minor issues with both cars including when I picked up my Model X there was a loose screw rattling around in the drivers door that I had to immediately return to the SC to get removed.

Reactions: CBPfromTN
She was driving us to dinner last night . . . and I noticed a big ol' greasy black thumbprint from the aforementioned mechanics on the light colored headliner right above the door where someone would lever themselves out. No idea how they're gonna clean that sufficiently. Already the carpeted mat is getting dirt accumulating in the area where the grease stain was - looks like my first call to the service manager is going to be for a new driver floor mat and then a full interior detail . . .

For crying out loud - you'd think after a customer bitched about mechanics leaving their greasy fingers everywhere you'd check every inch of the interior before bringing it back.

Don't they know who you are? How dare they.

Personally I can do without the fake ass kissing no mater where I encounter it. You do get that either way they don't really care about you right? Neither does any other car dealer or business other than they would prefer you return.

I pick up our new model X Saturday, I really hope they just hand me the keys and let me roll. They can spend the time they save kissing some other self important persons ass, I don't mind.

Don't they know who you are? How dare they.

Personally I can do without the fake ass kissing no mater where I encounter it. You do get that either way they don't really care about you right? Neither does any other car dealer or business other than they would prefer you return.

I pick up our new model X Saturday, I really hope they just hand me the keys and let me roll. They can spend the time they save kissing some other self important persons ass, I don't mind.

Might want to re-read his post. He never said they should know who he is, he is saying that during delivery he noticed the mats were dirty from the Service Tech and asked to have them cleaned before they left, and it seems they did not check the interior at that time for further dirt and only cleaned the mat that he pointed out. As they already had to wait to have a taillight repaired that no one at Tesla noticed and then they had to point out the interior was now dirty and argue to have it cleaned, Tesla should have inspected the interior to make sure it was completely clean. Has nothing to do with them knowing who he is.

If you have never owned a Tesla before I hope they do just hand you the keys. Enjoy your trip back the next day to fix everything you find on your way home.

Also got zero effort to sell phone cradles, explain how and where to store a phone - no explanation to the wife of the USB ports which access the radio, over all it was an underwhelming experience except for the car. No upsell of any option [which is good and bad] - and our DS never showed up to introduce himself - and I just know I'm going to need to follow up to get our license plate number before we get the plates from DMV so I can file the application for the car pool lane access sticker. Meaning their promise to call me back when they know is prob going to fall into the barrel with the rest of the promises.

It has nothing to do with DYKWIA - because I'm nobody. I was stunned at the lack of effort to upsell the extended warranty or anything else - not even "do you need another J1772 adapter" because we prob would have bought one.

Last edited:
Nice car and bummer about your experience, I've noticed there's barely anyone over 20's and 30's at any Tesla SC or showroom.

When I got my car, I saw it at the SC a week prior with a great pencil marking over a scratch on the side roof panels, when I picked it up the grease pencil mark was gone but big scratch was still there and they acted like wow I never saw that and ordered me a new one that has yet to come in. I was in for warranty work and a had a rock hit the (facier) between windshield and sunroof leaving a big mark and paid for a new piece.

They did warranty work on some molding, trunk seal and lights along with the part I was paying to have installed, every place they worked on was light scratches in the paint. I let them know I had color correction and a Ceramic coating done and the paint was perfect before they worked on it, he acted as if he couldn't see the scratches. Then the detail guy comes out and says he can bring in some "Stuff" from home as he's never worked on a car with a coating applied. I declined and waiting for my survey as they offered to buff out but weren't sure of the outcome,,, no thanks..

Might want to re-read his post. He never said they should know who he is, he is saying that during delivery he noticed the mats were dirty from the Service Tech and asked to have them cleaned before they left, and it seems they did not check the interior at that time for further dirt and only cleaned the mat that he pointed out. As they already had to wait to have a taillight repaired that no one at Tesla noticed and then they had to point out the interior was now dirty and argue to have it cleaned, Tesla should have inspected the interior to make sure it was completely clean. Has nothing to do with them knowing who he is.

If you have never owned a Tesla before I hope they do just hand you the keys. Enjoy your trip back the next day to fix everything you find on your way home.

I Read the post and responded accordingly. It was dripping of ego and arrogance imo. I've been here a while and don't worry, if I have any issues with my delivery or model X I know exactly where I can come to let everyone know that the world is ending.

I Read the post and responded accordingly. It was dripping of ego and arrogance imo. I've been here a while and don't worry, if I have any issues with my delivery or model X I know exactly where I can come to let everyone know that the world is ending.

Only posts I see dripping with arrogance seem to have "sub" next to them. Just sayin.... (you even leave the "h" out from "imho", LOL)

One of my favorite parts of this forum is all the non-owners commenting about the ownership experience.

Good luck with your delivery.

I picked up my Black 2017 model 100D from St louis last week. All in all a positive experience. I flew into St Louis at 8:30 the store opened at 10. I texted my DS and he had his manager pick me up right away...an hour before the store opened.

The only issue I had was I asked that the car be fully charged and it was not. I still had plenty of range to get home (gotta love the 100D)
I have received two follow up calls from the DS asking if everything is ok.

On a side not I am supposed to have free supercharging yet when I click on the manage part of my Tesla site it says I have 331 kWh credit remaining. I have been assured they are looking into this.

I picked up my Black 2017 model 100D from St louis last week. All in all a positive experience. I flew into St Louis at 8:30 the store opened at 10. I texted my DS and he had his manager pick me up right away...an hour before the store opened.

The only issue I had was I asked that the car be fully charged and it was not. I still had plenty of range to get home (gotta love the 100D)
I have received two follow up calls from the DS asking if everything is ok.

On a side not I am supposed to have free supercharging yet when I click on the manage part of my Tesla site it says I have 331 kWh credit remaining. I have been assured they are looking into this.

I've read a couple people that started out being "charged" and were eventually switched onto the lifetime supercharging. Did you get referred? If so, contact your referree and check to make sure your order is in their referral section. If not, I don't think you qualify for lifetime but they might add you on anyways since a referral isn't a big deal.

Reactions: CBPfromTN