TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Let someone drive your Model S?

Discussion in 'Model S' started by gameboy, Oct 21, 2013.

1. gameboy

gameboy Member

#1 gameboy, Oct 21, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 21, 2013
    Have you let your friends or strangers go on a test drive in your Model S? Would you or have you let them?

2. bonnie

bonnie Oil is for sissies.

I've let friends and family take my Roadster out for long extended drives & I'm sure I'll do the same with my Model X. My last words to them always are, "Remember, it's just a car and it's insured. Have fun!" And I've meant it every time.

3. Jason S

Jason S Model S Sig Perf (P85)

Plenty of folks have driven my Model S. Some I barely know... friends of friends, that kind of thing.

I try to make sure they're insured! :wink:

4. astrotoy

astrotoy Member

My son-in-law has driven it. He's a good driver, and, of course, I know where he is all the time :)

5. gasmiser1

gasmiser1 Member

Note: insurance is with the car, not the person driving it. I found this out the hard way when I wreaked a friends car. I said: " don't worry, I have insurance to pay for the damages." My insurance company said no. Insurance is with the car driven, not the driver :-(
    Hard lesson learned :-(

6. Mario Kadastik

Mario Kadastik Active Member

Yeah I was surprised about the person insurance comment as it should go with the car at least it does here in EU. Now the question is what happens if you wreck a loaner? It's not the car you insured and may cost far more (say you have S60 and get a fully loaded P85+).

7. jthompson

jthompson JThompson

I have let a few people (probably 4 or 5) drive my car who saw it at a car show I was attending. But that was usually after they talked with me for a while and I felt comfortable enough to let them drive 9with me in the passenger seat, of course). Also, at the recent "Drive Change in Virginia" event, Tesla reps there asked for volunteers to take some of the invited guests out on the track at Richmond International raceway - and the three times I did that I let the people drive my car!

8. ItsNotAboutTheMoney

ItsNotAboutTheMoney Active Member

Good insurance policies cover rental and loaners.

9. Btrflyl8e

Btrflyl8e Active Member

Of course, that's part of the magic! You WANT other people to experience it. I've let several drive it.

10. texex91

texex91 Banned

Yep, how else can we sell them on it :biggrin:

11. Chipper

Chipper Active Member

Actually I WANT everyone I know to drive it. BUT I only want them to drive it one time. I know from experience that is all it takes. I love seeing the Tesla grin on the faces of those who have experienced a Tesla and it is nice when they experience it vicariously, but even better to see it when THEY control the setting.

12. lolachampcar

lolachampcar Active Member

I think I'm up to six converts so far and all from letting them drive it :)

13. nrcooled

nrcooled P#8946 VIN 03225

I let people drive my car quite often. Most decline the offer from my experience though. The electric experience can only be know by driving the car and who am I to deny them such a zen-like experience.

My sister, bro in-law, friends, co-workers, etc. After all it's just a car and can be replaced.

There are ground rules:
    1. No speeding (you can accelerate as fast as you like up to the speed limit but that's all)
    2. If you have had 1 drink you're disqualified
    3. I must be along for the ride (only exception was my best friend and best man)
    4. DON'T MESS WITH THE STEREO SETUP

14. dsm363

dsm363 Roadster + Sig Model S

I do basically the same thing but like to ride with them and talk about the car and answer questions. It's an awesome thing but the Model S is just a thing in the end and can be replaced.

15. efusco

efusco Moderator - Model S & X forums

I do, but I'm selective about it.
    What's surprising, is how many have declined my offer to let them drive. I think the price tag scares people-they're afraid they'll scratch it or something.

I feel much the same way others her have expressed. I believe in this car...but it's a car, a tool I use every day and I treat it as such. I park it next to big trucks and other cars if the closest spot happens to be next to those. Have 3 kids who ride in it with dirty shoes, soft drinks (rarely) and jump in sweaty after sporting activities. The last thing I want is to perpetuate some false concept that the vehicles is somehow too elite, expensive and untouchable by the masses. While too expensive for many, it's a tool like any other.

16. AmpedRealtor

AmpedRealtor Active Member

Absolutely not, I will not let anyone else drive my Model S. I will let others handle the sales. :)

17. Andercam

Andercam Member

Yep, I let my wife drive it once! :biggrin:

18. Kraius

Kraius Member

It really depends on the policy here in the US but from what I remember with my insurance agent (i asked a similar question years ago), your policy covers your car for collision/comprehensive and you for liability. So the person driving your car could cover some of the costs of the accident with their insurance (things like property damage), but totaling your car means you're insurance covers it, regardless of whose driving. My parents had this happen when my sister totaled their car and their insurance had to cover the replacement cost. Also, if someone who is driving your car but not on your insurance can be proven to have been driving it more then a few times a year (it's like 12 times on my policy), the insurance company can invalidate your coverage. It all really depends on your policies though. The better (more expensive) the policy, the more lenient it will probably be.

Loaners and rentals are different. Everything transfers wholesale to the loaner while you have it. I've had rentals for weeks at a time (warranty/repair work) and my policy covered the rentals during this time without any issues. Also, when i did my testdrive, i had to sign something with Tesla saying i'm responsible for the car if anything happens.

19. brianman

brianman Burrito Founder

I'll be curious to see if Roadster owners "tighten up a bit" as the "irreplaceable diminishing quantity" sinks in more over time.

I feel that way about Signature S, so I can imagine how it feels for Roadster.

20. mknox

mknox Well-Known Member

NOBODY drives my Model S... not even my wife. I don't even like it when the Tesla SC guys drive it.