Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Let someone drive your Model S?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Given that my friend has let me drive his on multiple occasions I'll return the favor. Plus I'm sure my Dad and other members of my family will want a shot. Besides it's one of the best ways to ride in all the seats to listen for, and pinpoint, random creaks and other noises that you would like to get fixed.

Driving an Electric Car is a unique experience unlike anything else. Kind of like having sex. You can watch it on Video and read about it forever, but until you've done it yourself, you really have no Clue. I plan to let a few select folks drive mine when it comes. Just so they know first hand how awesome it is.

Last edited:
Every test drive/ride I've given I've offered to let them drive, most decline. I once let a 18 year old drive it (his mom was in the back seat yelling for him to slow down the whole time). Most people won't floor it either (they're missing all of the fun).

This needs additional scientific testing.

Well... We know you've driven a model s before....

i let a select few drive it. My brother and my roommate.

i don't comply with efuscos post. I drive it a lot, and I do let her enjoy the one road to its fullest. it is our daily driver that we use 95% of the time. However, if there is dirty work to be done, I take the focus. My hockey gear doesn't go in it, and I don't park it in popular parking areas (middle to back of the lot). I'm usually not in that big of a hurry I can't walk slightly further to avoid getting dinged, and if I am, I make up that time difference by driving faster. :biggrin:

For now, I drive the focus though as the wife hit a pothole and got a flat tire at work today (the military can't afford properly paved roads) and there were no loaners....

Have you let your friends or strangers go on a test drive in your Model S? Would you or have you let them?

My other half can drive it, but I prefer to. ;-)

I love my relatives, but I know how most of them drive; I made a blanket rule (while typing this) to be fair, none of them may drive it. I expect this may come up around Xmas, depending on who's in town when I visit my folks.

Initially I wouldn't have let friends drive it, but now I would let good friends drive it, depending on the person. I let a good friend's brother drive my car--the only person other than me and my other half to drive it, thus far! He designs cars for a living, though, and I and my friend were along for the ride. Whether I'd let some other random friend's relative drive the car is debatable (it depends). For all friends/extended friends, though, I'd have to be in the car.

Fellow Tesla owners are in a special class! They can drive it, and depending on circumstances, probably even without me in the car. I was humbled by someone letting me charge overnight at their place and drive their P85 while mine charged! Wow. This opened my mind up; he can take my car any time, and I'd be open to a similar trade-off with other Tesla owners.

Total strangers? No way, man! Crazy talk. ;-)

- - - Updated - - -

this is probably the funniest test drive

ROFL! I like her. :)

- - - Updated - - -

Oh and P.S. I'm happy to give test rides to anyone I know or work with, or friends of friends, or my relatives, or relatives of friends, or friends of relatives, or whatever. Not to total strangers, but I'm happy to give a test ride to even people I dislike intensely. ;-)

Have you let your friends or strangers go on a test drive in your Model S? Would you or have you let them?

I let a guy at work drive a bunch of us back from lunch. He loved it, could not believe I had him drive (on the expressway.)

I have been to Cars and Coffee several times.
I let a guy in Fort Worth drive it who wanted to order the car for his wife's birthday.
He gunned it three times, was in complete awe of the car.

Took a 7 or 8 year old kid and his Mom on a test ride. She liked it, he LOVED it.

Attended a Solar House/building tour, let two people drive it there.
One couple was going to wait for the Model X, but that kind of went out the window, no more waiting. She was ready to order a MS before the drive was over.
The other guy owned a Nissan Leaf, left him salivating.

Cannot name or remember the number of people I have given test rides to...
Dozens.

I share the experience of the car because I want people to know what a really great product the MS is.
Why hide your lamp under a basket?
Doesn't matter if they are currently in the market for a new car, or if they have a brand new car.

It is called "planting seeds", because once they drive it, they KNOW what their WANT their next car to be.
Guess it it up to them how they adjust to the information.

One's daily driver can be a very personal thing. Some are more comfortable than others sharing their personal items. I will give rides but don't offer test-drives.

This makes me realize, I probably wouldn't have let strangers drive my old car, or the one before that, either. (I'm only? on my third car.) Not that anyone would've asked, I suppose.

I'm a sucker for letting other drive my S. About 15 so far. I think I'll cut back a little, as my latest was the most liberal. Came out from a shop, two men were looking at and discussing the car. One seemed to know quite a bit about it, the other virtually nothing. The knowledgeable guy sort of startled me, as he quickly asked to drive it. On all other occasions, I've offered - think I'll stick with that.

My most fun experiences were with two young (to me) Air Force pilots. They sure did love it.

I'm a sucker for letting other drive my S. About 15 so far. I think I'll cut back a little, as my latest was the most liberal. Came out from a shop, two men were looking at and discussing the car. One seemed to know quite a bit about it, the other virtually nothing. The knowledgeable guy sort of startled me, as he quickly asked to drive it. On all other occasions, I've offered - think I'll stick with that.

My most fun experiences were with two young (to me) Air Force pilots. They sure did love it.
Wow, a total stranger asked to drive it? If he wasn't joking that was astoundingly rude.