Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Let Stats Handle Charging - Not Tesla

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I want to have the Stats app or my ChargePoint app control charging, not Tesla. I'd like to plug in after work and let one of those apps handle things but the second I plug in the car starts charging and I have to manually stop it. Seems like there should be an easy way to accomplish this but there's not.

What's the best workaround? I leave for work at 7:00 am. If I change to "Scheduled Departure" at 9:00 (way after I leave) would the other apps be able to do there thing from 5:00 to 7:00 which is what I'd like or will the fact the Tesla is on Scheduled Departure for later stop them from being able to charge too?

I LOVE this car but I think the charging options are primitive at this point.

• Disagree
Reactions: db93 and WarpedOne
I want to have the Stats app or my ChargePoint app control charging, not Tesla. I'd like to plug in after work and let one of those apps handle things but the second I plug in the car starts charging and I have to manually stop it. Seems like there should be an easy way to accomplish this but there's not.

What's the best workaround? I leave for work at 7:00 am. If I change to "Scheduled Departure" at 9:00 (way after I leave) would the other apps be able to do there thing from 5:00 to 7:00 which is what I'd like or will the fact the Tesla is on Scheduled Departure for later stop them from being able to charge too?

I am a new model Y owner
Why would you want one of these other apps control your charging?

what do you want to accomplish?

The other apps (for sure the Stats app) let's you program things so that the car automatically charges to 75% once lower charger rates hit and then goes from 75% to 80% right before 7:00 and heats the cabin while it does so. Basically, other apps give a lot more control over the process.

Scheduled departure might not work because it would still charge during the night and stop at 530am no matter what your departure time is. Try it with a scheduled charge start time instead ?
NOt sure how stats app works but I have a bunch of api calls setup in my siri shortcuts that can run automatically at certain times and you could use that to stop and start charging. IE: if your phone disconnects from your car (or pick whatever other automation you want) - set charge start time to 3am. Not sure if stats app could do the same thing though and siri shortcuts and automations wont help you if your an android guy. If you do have an iphone, you can go crazy. IE I have one that checks what day it is, if my kids have school that day it sees what kid I am driving and turns on the appropriate amount of seat heaters, checks if the charger is plugged in and if so, sets the charge limit an extra 5% so the charger can start then it also checks the inside/outside temperature and sets my heater on to either just warm or defrost... oh, and it checks my location to make sure I am home before I do all that. Kind of overkill but fun to do, and the car is always warm when its time to leave, no forgetting about it until the last second.

Reactions: brkaus and Koolio46

I agree. I came from a Bolt and you could enter in the days and times of off-peak and super off-peak rates and schedule your charging during those times. It's incomprehensible to me that a car that is otherwise light years ahead of the competition in terms of technology has such basic software when it comes to charging.

I agree. I came from a Bolt and you could enter in the days and times of off-peak and super off-peak rates and schedule your charging during those times. It's incomprehensible to me that a car that is otherwise light years ahead of the competition in terms of technology has such basic software when it comes to charging.

The Volt had schedules from the start. It was first released in January 2011.

The Hyundai Kona EV allows multiple schedules for departure-based charging, but only has a single range for off-peak charging, so obviously others haven't learned. Or there's some stupid patent awarded. Or, like Tesla, they don't care as long as it works for California.

Last edited:
Scheduled departure might not work because it would still charge during the night and stop at 530am no matter what your departure time is. Try it with a scheduled charge start time instead ?
NOt sure how stats app works but I have a bunch of api calls setup in my siri shortcuts that can run automatically at certain times and you could use that to stop and start charging. IE: if your phone disconnects from your car (or pick whatever other automation you want) - set charge start time to 3am. Not sure if stats app could do the same thing though and siri shortcuts and automations wont help you if your an android guy. If you do have an iphone, you can go crazy. IE I have one that checks what day it is, if my kids have school that day it sees what kid I am driving and turns on the appropriate amount of seat heaters, checks if the charger is plugged in and if so, sets the charge limit an extra 5% so the charger can start then it also checks the inside/outside temperature and sets my heater on to either just warm or defrost... oh, and it checks my location to make sure I am home before I do all that. Kind of overkill but fun to do, and the car is always warm when its time to leave, no forgetting about it until the last second.

Wow - that’s impressive! I do have an iPhone have no idea how to do automations.

Scheduled Charging (not Scheduled Departure) for a time when Stats normally charges the car would make the car's charge attempt redundant and mostly avoid a second charge.

Have Stats set the charge limit to something really low during the times you don't want to charge and then set it to the charge limit you want when you do want to charge.

Reactions: brkaus
Wow - that’s impressive! I do have an iPhone have no idea how to do automations.
Tesla Commands Shortcut : shortcuts
That thread has lots of simple shortcuts already premade, just click the links while on your iphone. YOu also need to get the access token and the wake up link or if you have an idea what you want spell it out and I can probably make it.
THe access token needs to be renewed every 60 days or something , cant remember what but if you open the shortcuts app, go to the automation tab at the bottom, then the plus sign to create a new automation based on the first day of the month and chooose access token and turn off "ask before running". ITs actually pretty easy once you play with it.

Reactions: quakthunder
That thread has lots of simple shortcuts already premade, just click the links while on your iphone. YOu also need to get the access token and the wake up link or if you have an idea what you want spell it out and I can probably make it.
THe access token needs to be renewed every 60 days or something , cant remember what but if you open the shortcuts app, go to the automation tab at the bottom, then the plus sign to create a new automation based on the first day of the month and chooose access token and turn off "ask before running". ITs actually pretty easy once you play with it.
Very, very cool. I need to try these.

Assume it’s not difficult to get my Tesla security token?

• Funny
Reactions: Gwgan and WarpedOne

you can accomplish your goal by using teslafi. I have ChargePoint too but there are many scheduled charging and climate command options via teslafi. But you first have to command the car “awake”. I have the stats app and it will only work correctly if the car is awake and not sleeping in my experience.

plug you car in set set your charge limit below your current level or press stop charging, then your teslafi schedule will do the rest. You can even receive text message confirmation that the command was successful.

here are some of my commands

Good luck. Lots of YouTube videos out there on guidance.
0C624FCF-2098-4007-B17C-4167B40DBE8E.jpeg

Last edited:

Thanks for this, it looks awesome! I can’t get the climate control to work. I add the shortcut and it just tells me if it’s off/on and what the temp is. How do I make it so it turns on climate control if off and set it to a specific temp?

And as a follow up, if I make that work, I can use the automation tab for it turn on the climate control at certain times every day? I work shift work, so every day I have a different start/end time.

Thanks for this, it looks awesome! I can’t get the climate control to work. I add the shortcut and it just tells me if it’s off/on and what the temp is. How do I make it so it turns on climate control if off and set it to a specific temp?

And as a follow up, if I make that work, I can use the automation tab for it turn on the climate control at certain times every day? I work shift work, so every day I have a different start/end time.

2 choices, easy way where I create a variable and you just plug in a number or a little less easy way where you enter the number in a hidden spot. Easy way makes it work, less easy way helps you understand how it works. Your choice. Both will just be a link you open from your phone and save it.

Reactions: quakthunder
2 choices, easy way where I create a variable and you just plug in a number or a little less easy way where you enter the number in a hidden spot. Easy way makes it work, less easy way helps you understand how it works. Your choice. Both will just be a link you open from your phone and save it.
I’ll do the latter. I’d like to understand how it works. I have no background in coding/scripting/whatever this is, but it seems kind of intuitive. Just don’t know where to start. It’d be great if I could turn the climate on, set a temp, and set the seat warmers. Thanks!

Reactions: Koolio46
Ok so for some reason my work phone doesn’t allow me to share shortcuts so I have to redo them in an old phone but it’s acting weird so I can’t test for any mistakes. I didn’t create this one from scratch, I took from a Reddit thread (google iOS shortcut wake up and turn on heater Tesla)
Shortcuts
This is the modified version of his shortcut. I added in seat heater request and set temperature request and instructions.
Once you know this works, now you want to set up an automation. In the shortcuts app, the screen where you can see all the shortcuts, at the bottom you can see three tabs, my shortcuts, automation and gallery. Go to automations, choose time of day that you want to be your trigger then under actions choose app-shortcut-run shortcut and choose your shortcut to run. Make sure you turn off the option of “ask before running “. You can see all the other options for triggers too. I use alarms as my trigger and when I cancel my alarm it triggers the shortcut. I have 5 different alarms for different times I know I am driving my kids to school and they all trigger a warm up and remind me it’s time to go.
Let me know if you have any issues.

Ok so for some reason my work phone doesn’t allow me to share shortcuts so I have to redo them in an old phone but it’s acting weird so I can’t test for any mistakes. I didn’t create this one from scratch, I took from a Reddit thread (google iOS shortcut wake up and turn on heater Tesla)
Shortcuts
This is the modified version of his shortcut. I added in seat heater request and set temperature request and instructions.
Once you know this works, now you want to set up an automation. In the shortcuts app, the screen where you can see all the shortcuts, at the bottom you can see three tabs, my shortcuts, automation and gallery. Go to automations, choose time of day that you want to be your trigger then under actions choose app-shortcut-run shortcut and choose your shortcut to run. Make sure you turn off the option of “ask before running “. You can see all the other options for triggers too. I use alarms as my trigger and when I cancel my alarm it triggers the shortcut. I have 5 different alarms for different times I know I am driving my kids to school and they all trigger a warm up and remind me it’s time to go.
Let me know if you have any issues.

Wow thanks so much! Just tested it out and tweaked it a little. Set the temp to 20C instead of 18C. Will decimals work here since I use F? Also turned the seat heaters to level 2 and only the front two. And then I duplicated it and made one for just the driver seat when we don’t ride to work together.

I set the automation for tomorrow morning, 20 minutes before my normal departure time. I’ll report back with results. Thank you again, it’s amazing we can do this with the car!

Wow thanks so much! Just tested it out and tweaked it a little. Set the temp to 20C instead of 18C. Will decimals work here since I use F? Also turned the seat heaters to level 2 and only the front two. And then I duplicated it and made one for just the driver seat when we don’t ride to work together.

I set the automation for tomorrow morning, 20 minutes before my normal departure time. I’ll report back with results. Thank you again, it’s amazing we can do this with the car!
Sounds like you have the hang of it. I think decimals work by .5 so 20, 20.5, 21, 21.5 but that’s just based on how it shows up on the car screen when I adjust the temperature, I’ve not tried it with the app.