Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Let Tesla know what features or tech the Roadster should have to make it even more awesome?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
There are lots of things I love about the Tesla Roadster.

However what tech or features do you think would be awesome?
Doesn't matter if it's for performence or comfort or looks or maybe something innovative. Any ideas what Tesla could do? As there is still time until pencils down.

I personally would love to see 4 wheel steering.
Considering 325 tyres rear and 295 tyres front. Those are wide tyres plus the long wheel base. 4 wheel steering would dramatically improve handling and driving enjoyment.
1 example where 4 wheel steering dramatically improved handling and feel is the new Porsche 911 GT3.

Reactions: mattobadia
Soul.

Thinking about the original, classic Roadster, and what the appeal is. It has personality. It has a soul. Each car (especially now after years of ownership tweaks and wear) is an individual. They're all a little different. Further, when you open the door and the car "wakes up", you hear the cooling pump come on. The car is a happy puppy, wanting to go out for a romp. Touch the brake pedal and it inhales with the rumble of the vacuum pump for the brake assist. The body creaks a bit over bumps (don't we all!). No power steering - you're indirect control. In more ways than one, you don't get into the car, you put it on. In short, the car is alive, and the driver / car relationship is a symbiotic one.

The tech and the specs are wonderful, but I need for the new Roadster to have a soul. And a real steering wheel.

The main feature that I'm looking for would be to actually get the car in 2020; early 2020 would be even better.

Of course we all know that most likely will not happen :( After all, we are all slaves to Tesla time
Too expensive for me but:
If I were a rich man,
Ya ha deedle deedle, bubba bubba deedle deedle dum.
All day long I'd biddy biddy bum.
If I were a wealthy man .......................and picky

I would like to see 4 drive units for even better handling[/QUOTE]

EV critics who love old cars like to say that EVs have no “soul”, in part because they are too quiet and also because you can’t tinker with them. And now you’re saying that the “old” Roadster has “soul” but the new Roadster doesn’t. Hmm... ;)
Soul.

Thinking about the original, classic Roadster, and what the appeal is. It has personality. It has a soul. Each car (especially now after years of ownership tweaks and wear) is an individual. They're all a little different. Further, when you open the door and the car "wakes up", you hear the cooling pump come on. The car is a happy puppy, wanting to go out for a romp. Touch the brake pedal and it inhales with the rumble of the vacuum pump for the brake assist. The body creaks a bit over bumps (don't we all!). No power steering - you're indirect control. In more ways than one, you don't get into the car, you put it on. In short, the car is alive, and the driver / car relationship is a symbiotic one.

The tech and the specs are wonderful, but I need for the new Roadster to have a soul. And a real steering wheel.

EV critics who love old cars like to say that EVs have no “soul”, in part because they are too quiet and also because you can’t tinker with them. And now you’re saying that the “old” Roadster has “soul” but the new Roadster doesn’t. Hmm... ;)
Yes, actually. Nobody's ever accused the original Roadster as being silent; quiet in a parking lot, yes, but that's about it. And, between brake upgrades (my order is in the current batch), in-dash audio and speakers, suspension tweaks, not to mention various places to add carbon fiber bling, the car does have opportunities for tinkering. To be fair, the other Tesla models have their tinkering opportunities as well, but two things in particular - the lack of the Roadster's signature drive train whine, and the over abundance of power steering - take a lot of the "soul" out of the other cars. Is the whine a replacement for the exhaust rumble of ICEs? Perhaps. Both serve the purpose of conveying a "living" thing being called upon.

So it's more of a requirement than a statement - does the new Roadster have "soul"? What is the feel of the steering? What does it sound like (without the tire / passenger squeal)? From watching the videos, I'd say neither seem right about the new car.

In regards to the door, how about face recognition unlock/start? Yes, in reality it's not practical but I might as well make ask for the moon. I really just want automatic doors like the X. It's simple, but I hate that my model S doesn't have this. I'm conditioned to be lazy.

Last edited:
Nobody's ever accused the original Roadster as being silent; quiet in a parking lot, yes, but that's about it. And, between brake upgrades (my order is in the current batch), in-dash audio and speakers, suspension tweaks, not to mention various places to add carbon fiber bling, the car does have opportunities for tinkering. To be fair, the other Tesla models have their tinkering opportunities as well, but two things in particular - the lack of the Roadster's signature drive train whine, and the over abundance of power steering - take a lot of the "soul" out of the other cars. Is the whine a replacement for the exhaust rumble of ICEs? Perhaps. Both serve the purpose of conveying a "living" thing being called upon.

So it's more of a requirement than a statement - does the new Roadster have "soul"?
So now we are debating the metaphysics of inanimate objects? ;)

I acknowledge that my Roadster is very creaky; occasionally my spouse is in the car with me and one time she asked me “What is making that noise?” My reply: “Everything”. We laughed. And of course you can hear the motor whine far more than in the S/X. But compared to the 1959 Porsche 356A that I used to own, my Roadster is the epitome of silence. I have given rides in my Roadster to ICE sports car enthusiasts and invariably they complain that the car is too quiet and they can’t tell what’s happening with “the engine”.

Reactions: Shawn Snider
A retractable roof that goes into the trunk at the touch of a button instead of having to climb out of the car to do it manually. And air conditioning that is adequate for Florida would be a big improvement over my current Roadster.

Reactions: cizUK