TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Let Tesla know what features or tech the Roadster should have to make it even more awesome?

Discussion in 'Roadster 2020' started by AUSinator, Nov 21, 2017.

1. AUSinator

AUSinator Member

There are lots of things I love about the Tesla Roadster.

However what tech or features do you think would be awesome?
    Doesn't matter if it's for performence or comfort or looks or maybe something innovative. Any ideas what Tesla could do? As there is still time until pencils down.

I personally would love to see 4 wheel steering.
    Considering 325 tyres rear and 295 tyres front. Those are wide tyres plus the long wheel base. 4 wheel steering would dramatically improve handling and driving enjoyment.
    1 example where 4 wheel steering dramatically improved handling and feel is the new Porsche 911 GT3.

• Like x 1
  2. Hotlobstah

Hotlobstah Member

360 degree forcefield would be awesome!

• Like x 1
    • Funny x 1
  3. John W. Ratcliff

• Funny x 3
    • Like x 1
    • Love x 1
  4. gregd

gregd Active Member

A real steering wheel.

• Like x 4
    • Love x 1
  5. Tex EV

Tex EV Member

Manual parking brake, just like the original.

6. gregd

gregd Active Member

Soul.

Thinking about the original, classic Roadster, and what the appeal is. It has personality. It has a soul. Each car (especially now after years of ownership tweaks and wear) is an individual. They're all a little different. Further, when you open the door and the car "wakes up", you hear the cooling pump come on. The car is a happy puppy, wanting to go out for a romp. Touch the brake pedal and it inhales with the rumble of the vacuum pump for the brake assist. The body creaks a bit over bumps (don't we all!). No power steering - you're indirect control. In more ways than one, you don't get into the car, you put it on. In short, the car is alive, and the driver / car relationship is a symbiotic one.

The tech and the specs are wonderful, but I need for the new Roadster to have a soul. And a real steering wheel.

• Like x 1
  7. PhatCat

PhatCat Kisco Kid

Rockets. Elon mentioned rockets.

• Like x 1
    • Funny x 1
  8. Chopr147

Chopr147 Active Member

Of course we all know that most likely will not happen :( After all, we are all slaves to Tesla time
    Too expensive for me but:
    If I were a rich man,
    Ya ha deedle deedle, bubba bubba deedle deedle dum.
    All day long I'd biddy biddy bum.
    If I were a wealthy man .......................and picky

I would like to see 4 drive units for even better handling[/QUOTE]

9. JHWJR

JHWJR Member

cupholders.

• Like x 1
  10. shokunin

shokunin P85 & S40

HUD

• Like x 5
    • Funny x 1
  11. ecarfan

ecarfan Well-Known Member

EV critics who love old cars like to say that EVs have no “soul”, in part because they are too quiet and also because you can’t tinker with them. And now you’re saying that the “old” Roadster has “soul” but the new Roadster doesn’t. Hmm... ;)

• Like x 2
  12. rowdy

rowdy Member

Carseats. Please let it have ISOFIX points for the back seat to make it easy to have kids back there.

13. gregd

gregd Active Member

Yes, actually. Nobody's ever accused the original Roadster as being silent; quiet in a parking lot, yes, but that's about it. And, between brake upgrades (my order is in the current batch), in-dash audio and speakers, suspension tweaks, not to mention various places to add carbon fiber bling, the car does have opportunities for tinkering. To be fair, the other Tesla models have their tinkering opportunities as well, but two things in particular - the lack of the Roadster's signature drive train whine, and the over abundance of power steering - take a lot of the "soul" out of the other cars. Is the whine a replacement for the exhaust rumble of ICEs? Perhaps. Both serve the purpose of conveying a "living" thing being called upon.

So it's more of a requirement than a statement - does the new Roadster have "soul"? What is the feel of the steering? What does it sound like (without the tire / passenger squeal)? From watching the videos, I'd say neither seem right about the new car.

14. Britannia

Britannia Member

#14 Britannia, Nov 21, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 21, 2017
    In regards to the door, how about face recognition unlock/start? Yes, in reality it's not practical but I might as well make ask for the moon. I really just want automatic doors like the X. It's simple, but I hate that my model S doesn't have this. I'm conditioned to be lazy.

15. ecarfan

ecarfan Well-Known Member

So now we are debating the metaphysics of inanimate objects? ;)

I acknowledge that my Roadster is very creaky; occasionally my spouse is in the car with me and one time she asked me “What is making that noise?” My reply: “Everything”. We laughed. And of course you can hear the motor whine far more than in the S/X. But compared to the 1959 Porsche 356A that I used to own, my Roadster is the epitome of silence. I have given rides in my Roadster to ICE sports car enthusiasts and invariably they complain that the car is too quiet and they can’t tell what’s happening with “the engine”.

• Like x 1
  16. bobinfla

bobinfla S-Vin 4086 Rdstr-Vin 0019

A retractable roof that goes into the trunk at the touch of a button instead of having to climb out of the car to do it manually. And air conditioning that is adequate for Florida would be a big improvement over my current Roadster.

• Like x 1
  17. James Anders

James Anders Member

An even lower spec version with 100 kWh battery. 300 miles range. Much lighter. Performance would still be nice with better handling.

$135K

• Like x 8
    • Funny x 1
    • Love x 1
  18. malcolm

malcolm Active Member

Flux Capacitor.

Zero to 1955 in about 3 seconds.

• Funny x 2
  19. labfm

labfm Member

Ditto

20. deonb

deonb Supporting Member

You understand why that can't exist right?