Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Let Tesla know what features or tech the Roadster should have to make it even more awesome?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
You understand why that can't exist right?

0512a55bd87b7037112062443b229837c2297d-wm.jpg

And yes, I understand the issues involved.

• Love
Reactions: unbelievable
please edumacate me

The reason for the Roadster having such a big battery is not for the Roadster to have such a long range, but to be able to draw the power it needs without overloading the battery.

If you reduce the battery you not only reduce the range, you reduce the performance.

In case you're thinking, well, then just build a lower performance Roadster - 2.4 seconds would still be cool. No, doing that dilutes the branch. Same reason you can't buy a 4 cylinder LeFerrari. In supercar territory that brand value is significant. People who buy "the fastest car in the world" don't want there to be a pretend copycat out there.

So now we are debating the metaphysics of inanimate objects? ;)
Yes. When I spend $200k on a car, I want it to sing.

But to the point of the thread, there's more to a car than features and tech that can be listed on the Monroney sticker. How it handles, sure. But also how it feels when you put it on, and how sounds when you drive it. With apologies to The Rip Chords, "Sing, little Roadster".

An even lower spec version with 100 kWh battery. 300 miles range. Much lighter. Performance would still be nice with better handling.

$135K
Absolutely. Cut the number of cells in the pack in half and greatly reduce pack cost and reduce vehicle weight. Range will still be plenty, acceleration will still be mind boggling, and TopSpeed would still be way over the legal limit almost everywhere. There are various other things that could be done to make a lower-cost version: remove the front motor, remove the rear seats, use much less expensive wheels and somewhat narrower tires, use much less expensive non-ceramic brakes, less carbon fiber trim, and probably lots more things I can think of. The result would still be an amazing electric sports car that would look gorgeous and be a blast to drive but would cost far less while selling many more units.

I’m not saying Tesla did anything wrong by creating this new roaster with it’s incredible specifications. I understand why they did it and it is super cool. But once they have launched it I hope they make a lower-cost version that more people can afford.

You understand why that can't exist right?
No, I don’t. It obviously can exist. It won’t significantly harm sales of the more expensive version. It won’t “dilute the brand“. It will broaden the brand, in the same way that the Model 3 increases Teslas market share over what offering just the Model S would achieve.

Tesla is nothing like Ferrari. Tesla’s goal is to accelerate the advent of sustainable transport. That means offering a broader product line then anything Ferrari will ever do.

Last edited:
It won’t “dilute the brand“. It will broaden the brand, in the same way that the Model 3 increases Teslas market share over what offering just the Model S would achieve.

Tesla is nothing like Ferrari. Tesla’s goal is to accelerate the advent of sustainable transport. That means offering a broader product line then anything Ferrari will ever do.

I don’t mean the brand of “Tesla” - I mean “Roadster”.

Sure there are cheap Porche’s out there, there are cheap Ferrari’s out there. But there aren’t cheap Spyders or cheap LeFerrari’s.

Tesla is going after a very coveted position here - and I’m reasonably sure that they’re not just going to launch with 250mph top speed - they’re going to go directly after Bugatti and Koenigsegg.

It’s a once in a lifetime opportunity they have before other manufacturers do the same. You don’t go and waste that by trying to make an ‘affordable’ version.

“Roadster” needs to be synonymous with “the best” - no footnotes required.

there are cheap Ferrari’s out there
I am not familiar with a “cheap” Ferrari. :)

It’s a once in a lifetime opportunity they have before other manufacturers do the same. You don’t go and waste that by trying to make an ‘affordable’ version.
Clearly Elon’s intent is to make clear to the world that the 2020 Roadster is the best car ever.

And then Tesla can make a lower cost version and expand their market while continuing to make the $200K version. Point made, and more revenue generated. Win/win.

Reactions: Shawn Snider
Dashboard front and center.

While it might be OK for a prius or a model 3 to have the speedometer and other important information off to the side and (even worse) down below the windscreen, it is vitally important to see this information when traveling at speed. The speed is nicely displayed at the bottom of my peripheral vision when I'm looking straight ahead in my model S. It is even more important when driving fast. My Ferrari 458 had tachymeter lights across the top of the steering wheel, so you always knew what you had in reserve. The roadster MUST have important information in the drivers line of sight. Looking away from the line of travel, even momentarily, at 200 mph can be fatal.

.The roadster MUST have important information in the drivers line of sight. Looking away from the line of travel, even momentarily, at 200 mph can be fatal.
And the new Roadster does have that information. Embedded in the dash board in front of the driver and in front of the driver is a small horizontal display showing speed, AP symbol, TACC symbol, PRND indicator, and a thin horizontal line whose purpose at this time is not known.

I am not familiar with a “cheap” Ferrari. :)

Clearly Elon’s intent is to make clear to the world that the 2020 Roadster is the best car ever.

And then Tesla can make a lower cost version and expand their market while continuing to make the $200K version. Point made, and more revenue generated. Win/win.
I think my Ferrari California might qualify, as it's a "starter" car, but still ran over $230k in 2009 when we bought it. Of course, it rarely gets driven anymore and will be sold long before the Roadster arrives.

And iirc some comments then about the hardtop convertible make me question that the Roadster will be able to have a removable glass top and still the structural integrity to handle the force at 250+ mph. Many of you will know better, I'm sure.

So I would also love a retractable hardtop convertible, but that adds extra weight and may be the reason they are not offering it.

some comments then about the hardtop convertible make me question that the Roadster will be able to have a removable glass top and still the structural integrity to handle the force at 250+ mph.
My guess is that the battery pack adds a great deal of structural integrity to the chassis, such that the removable hardtop that Elon stated was a feature of the new Roadster will not cause a problem at very high speeds.

I would also love a retractable hardtop convertible, but that adds extra weight and may be the reason they are not offering it.
Not just extra weight, but the folding mechanism would also take up valuable trunk space.

And iirc some comments then about the hardtop convertible make me question that the Roadster will be able to have a removable glass top and still the structural integrity to handle the force at 250+ mph. Many of you will know better, I'm sure.

Perhaps the new nuclear blast proof glass will help with this? Obviously twisting is a different strain to stone impacts but still…

I haven’t heard anything about the glass, presumably it’s some kind of laminate?

Less battery with lower weight and hence better handling and stopping even if 0-60 were "only" 2.2 seconds. Range would still be well over 300 miles and would cost less too. I'd also add scissor doors like McLaren and Lamborghini. To me that screams supercar. And last but not least Electric roof ala McLaren and Ferrari not a removable targa roof like a Corvette!

Most obvious necessity is build it zero defect and have parts and service logistics sorted out.

Single seater (like McLaren F1)
"Track Day" version:
* less weight, less battery
* more cooling to batts and motors
* more aero downforce, adjustable
* bolt-in spring/damper/sway (adjustable)
* carbon brake rotors and wheels
* Integrated roll cage and six point harness mounts
* Fire system bolt-in
* Coolant circuit for race suit
* dirt cheap front/rear bumper covers and fenders
* data logging on everything, real time telemetry
* built-in glow-through-panel race numbers, quick release road license plates

No mirrors (360º cameras)
Add lightness
Subtract all froufrou junk in the cabin
Simplify the cabin (detachable touchscreen)
Build a lot of them cheaply (say $120K) to make a global EV race series class.

p.s. that wiper better not be the final solution (if it is, it better have a quick release and fold up for storage in the frunk)

Reactions: Mark77a and ICUDoc