Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Let Tesla replace Dash Pad?

Let them do the work?

• Yes, it will be fine.

• No, they will break things.

• No, they will fix but cause rattles and or creaks afterwards.

Results are only viewable after voting.
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a 2018 (March build) Model 3 RWD with 117,200 miles. I have had work done on several occasions and have had it all done at the same service center. They have treated me well and usually resolve issues with work done. Problem is, there are often issues.

Control arms done twice. Once under warranty, once on my dime. Had to have the car realigned after initial work completed.

Drive unit replaced under warranty along with half shafts. Warranty. First attempt failed, half shaft broke within 12 feet of pickup, but all good now. Again had to have the car alignment redone a few days later.

Windshield x 3. Construction on my 100 mile a day commute, sigh. All at my expense. One replacement had the base trim whistling while driving. Fixed afterward.

On my recent windshield replacement the dash pad was scratched up pretty bad. They tried to fix with cleaner but to no avail. They have offered to replace the dash pad.
Out of curiosity I looked up what I thought would be a simple process. Yikes, the entire front interior has to be removed. Display, steering wheel, air bags, center console, seats, etc.

I am worried that the removal and replacement will introduce rattles and squeaks after the work is done. I am well out of warranty and am not sure that any complaints about noise after can be proven or resolved without a lot of grief.

I would appreciate your thoughts.

Is there another service center in your vicinity? The one you are going to sound like a bunch of amateurs and I don't think I would trust them with something like removal and reinstallation of the dash. You will probably be left with more scratches in other places and dash rattles you didn't have before.

What’s “pretty bad”? Certainly it’s better to leave it as is if it’s tolerable. If it’s a huge gash and you see it every time I drive, well then I would take the chance. In the end it’s how bad will it annoy you every time you drive? And would “potential” creaks and rattles annoy you even more?

I am worried that the removal and replacement will introduce rattles and squeaks after the work is done. I am well out of warranty and am not sure that any complaints about noise after can be proven or resolved without a lot of grief.

I think this is an extremely valid concern. Its "very possible" for them to introduce unwanted rattles, and if / when that happens, its extremely likely that they either tell you its within spec for a car of that age (and thus not something they are willing to entertain fixing) or even if they want to try to fix it, introduce more issues chasing those rattles.

You have to balance that fairly likely outcome with how bad the dash bothers you now, then make a decision. Frankly I am not sure what I would do. I would probably leave it alone, unless It was in my line of sight every time I got in the car.

I have a 2018 (March build) Model 3 RWD with 117,200 miles. I have had work done on several occasions and have had it all done at the same service center. They have treated me well and usually resolve issues with work done. Problem is, there are often issues.

Control arms done twice. Once under warranty, once on my dime. Had to have the car realigned after initial work completed.

Drive unit replaced under warranty along with half shafts. Warranty. First attempt failed, half shaft broke within 12 feet of pickup, but all good now. Again had to have the car alignment redone a few days later.

Windshield x 3. Construction on my 100 mile a day commute, sigh. All at my expense. One replacement had the base trim whistling while driving. Fixed afterward.

On my recent windshield replacement the dash pad was scratched up pretty bad. They tried to fix with cleaner but to no avail. They have offered to replace the dash pad.
Out of curiosity I looked up what I thought would be a simple process. Yikes, the entire front interior has to be removed. Display, steering wheel, air bags, center console, seats, etc.

I would appreciate your thoughts.

Like others have said..."it depends".....

If the service center scratched up your dash then I would have it fixed. You look at it every single time you get into the car. You see it!

Our Tesla SC is really good about stuff so far. We like them! Super Professional folks and if it was a big deal I would 100% have them fix it.

In the end, it is up to you. The fact that you are posting this...I believe.... you are upset with the scratches. So get it fixed and let the SC know you want it to be like before...NO RATTLES....etc.... Get my point?

Anecdotally, we have multiple vehicles and I TRUST the service folks I work with. I have NEVER had them come back to me and say something they "repaired/fixed" was not to my satisfaction.

Word of mouth goes a LONG way!

Can you post a picture, my guess is to cover it up or see if a shop that does Wraps can cover it, I had my wood panel part on my Model Y wrapped Black.

The only issue I see is that with me having to look at it every day will cause a distraction. Also when it’s time to sell, people get turned off by the gash.

They have replaced the dash (IP) on one my m3 under warranty because it was scratched (I had one of very early once’s, where you could scratch it during cleaning), and replaced steering column (also requires IP removal) on my other m3 as well under warranty. Both times everything was good.

But of course it depends, for example they were supposed to fix seat heater, after 3x appointment they still can’t make it right. :(

20221105_175247.jpg

You can see if an automotive upholstery shop or a vinyl wrap shop could not cover it, wrap it, etc in place without removal. There are plenty of automotive faux leather materials to use (with and without different grains).

There are also a bunch of dash covers available on eCommerce sites. Cheapest option by far, one notch above leaving it alone.

Or experiment with back to black trim restorers which may just melt enough of the material to allow the scuffs, scratches to blend in.

How the service center managed to mess things up this badly a. will never cease to amaze me b. is all too common (hence your valid concerns).
Maybe dont go checking around the window frame (side to side gap differences, A pillar paint damage) or for wiper arm scratches from removal.
They tend to leave those little gifts that keep on giving as well.