Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Let the hacking begin... (Model S parts on the bench)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So Jack mentions Jason again this week (twittergate minute 43).

Bigger issue - he seems stuck getting drive units to work (m1:20:00) and needs CAN captures from cars with different drive units - particularly older cars (more likely to have salvage motors).

The people with this motor want to use it in a boat. That sounds really fun! Is crowd sourcing data something folks on this thread could readily provide to him?

Anyone else find it curious that the ViN is broadcast over the CAN?

I would find it strange if they didn't, they would need it for their Toolbox application (which displays the VIN), possibly to verify the supercharger status (though which side does the auth is still up in the air), or a myriad of other uses where it might be handy to have the VIN number present on the bus, plus the fact that it only gets sent once a minute or so indicates that it's important but not critical.

As for Jacks woes, there is no VIN number checking when it comes to swapping parts (at least yet), the reason it shuts down is because the firmware on the car and DU (or other part) don't match. wk057 has talked at length about this over on the IRC channel, however, a little birdy told me that Tesla recently released their coveted Toolbox application on the service site, with one of the features being a firmware re-deploy command that synchronizes all the various devices on the car, so they speak the same language (problem solved). Given this is all over CAN, I bet (theoretically of course) the right command sequence should be pretty easy to duplicate sans Toolbox.

Must be missing something. With the Toolbox you can wake the disabled diagnostic port, access service screens, change the vehicle config, pull the latest firmware, etc. Why would Tesla release that?

As Bob Dylan might say "the times they are a changin", in my mind it's all for the better, after a recent experience with my local service center I came to the conclusion a team of trained circus monkeys could have done a better job (and cheaper!). Now I can check my cars DTC's and related information myself, instead of waiting 2 days for them to "pull logs..." only for them to tell me it's problem with the utility (oh yes, I have problems with my utility, but this ain't one of them)

Yes, I had to use my service account in order to login to the application, so it's not quite free, but better than nothing

That's great news! Do you just have a personal service account? Guessing you are in MA or at least have a MA address?

Also without sharing any screenshots or littature can you outline the functionality? Do you know if this the same build that the SC uses? It would be nice to be able to program new keys and such.

Last edited:
Looks like I'm cancelling all plans tonight....

BTR, thanks again for this thread it has been truly inspiring, more to come on that for the group in the future.

I am not sure what the EULA is like for the TM Service site and software, but it appears that you need a valid login to download and use the TM toolbox application.

Can you let us know if the daily subscription will allow you to login to the app? I wondering if they will give it to a daily user or just to the authorized repair facilities.

Having Toolbox would be invaluable for diagnosing/flashing the vehicles without having to hack them as well as all the little things like programming keys that to date is a no-go.