Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Let the hacking begin... (Model S parts on the bench)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
20160425_145221.jpg FINALLY got a batch of these newer Sept 2015+ connectors and terminals in. Panjo link: Tesla Model S/X OBD2/CAN adapter cable (Sept 2015 +)

Hello all! I am trying to find out any message on the canbus which the motor temperatures are included. Anyone has been able to get it? I have checked out some message IDs included in the Tesla Model S CAN Bus Deciphering document provided by wk057, but I have not found anything about that.

Many thanks in advance!

There are (edit, correction) five line level outputs that I've found and seven amplified outputs. The unit part number says it's a premium audio version. It is pretty likely they're mostly the same though.

It definitely seems to have the last known state of everything cached.

Here is a composite of all of the errors I have now for laughs:

View attachment 161648

It *really* wants me to contact Tesla service.... lol

Started to read thread, old post but couldn't resist.

I think you should contact Tesla service and bring it to the service center, computer will be happier this way :)

Hello all!

I'm trying to get some message in canbus related to the values included in the Thermal Management Screen, such as: Passive/Active Coolant Target, Ambient Filtered Temp, etc...

I guess it is in the powertrain (CAN3) but I am not able to get some info about that. Anyone has got some research about that?

Many thanks in advance.

Reactions: apacheguy
Hello all!

I'm trying to get some message in canbus related to the values included in the Thermal Management Screen, such as: Passive/Active Coolant Target, Ambient Filtered Temp, etc...

I guess it is in the powertrain (CAN3) but I am not able to get some info about that. Anyone has got some research about that?

Many thanks in advance.

The most up-to-date online reference (that I know of) was by WK057 and is on his site:
wk057's SkieNET

• Helpful
Reactions: davidc18
Hello, just signed up to join in on this thread. I've been working on probing the CAN bus for a few weeks now and just last night managed to get my rig so that it would log CAN messages to an SD card. It's an Arduino with a Sparkfun CAN BUS shield. There's only one transceiver on it, so I stuck a DB9 to RJ45 connector on it and wired up the four buses on the diagnostic connector to four separate RJ45 connectors. S60.

I'm still trying to catch up on this thread, only up to page 17 so far...

Hello, just signed up to join in on this thread. I've been working on probing the CAN bus for a few weeks now and just last night managed to get my rig so that it would log CAN messages to an SD card. It's an Arduino with a Sparkfun CAN BUS shield. There's only one transceiver on it, so I stuck a DB9 to RJ45 connector on it and wired up the four buses on the diagnostic connector to four separate RJ45 connectors. S60.

I'm still trying to catch up on this thread, only up to page 17 so far...

Hi,
Have the same rig, but never took the time to try it out. I'm interested in your sketches if you can share ;)

One of the project on my list was to get the CAN messages to manage the lighted rear applique.

I'm still only about half-way through this thread. Haven't done any decoding yet, but I've found 289 unique message IDs on bus 3 and 102 unique IDs on bus 6. Bus 6 has a hell of a lot more traffic on it though, by around 10x. I added the ability to switch my logger between 500K and 125K speeds so I can start looking at 2 and 4 starting tomorrow.

Side note: when I attached the connector to bus 6, at least the two times I did so today, the windshield wipers swept once and a warning popped up saying that stability control had been disabled. The message went away about a minute after the next time I got into my car (when the logger was still connected).